Options

Here is info on the ZIM and KOT pedals!

LoveThemBonesLoveThemBones Posts: 38
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
ZIM - Dave Fox had four of his ZIM's there along with three prototypes. The finished product is a cool red two tiered box, like the TZF and CC2. It's about 5 1/2" by 5". There's a good pic on his website. Very cool looking and very solid, heavy metal casing. Excellent workmanship on the box design and silkscreening, and the internal electronics are very clean. Pics to come.
http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/

The ZIM consists of two independent OD circuits on ZIM cards. Dave designed the basic circuits around an opamp circuit - a maxed out, fine tuned, modern OD - think Keeley or AnalogMan modded TS. The cards can be modified or replaced with different circuits - OD, boost, fuzz, distortion, whatever you and Dave work out on a custom basis.

The two stomp switches are independent on/off switches for the respective circuits/channels. The circuits can be run singly or they can be run in series with one cascading into the other. There are four jacks: A in, A out, B in, B out. So either one can be first (for example - guitar in to B, B out to A in, A out to amp) If you run into A, the path defaults to A>B without needing to use the A out or B in. The B out becomes the main out jack. I hope I didn't lose anybody there. You can do all sorts of things with the signal path.

You could run them in parallel if you had a line splitter before the ZIM and you could then sum them back together (with a mixer, for example) or run them through separate amps. You could run other effects in between the two channels like an fx loop. Very flexible.

The A channel has volume and drive, just like most any overdrive pedal. The B channel has volume and drive and it has a special voicing control. You can select from 8 stages of phase cancellation - specfiic windows or steps where specific frequencies are targeted. Then you can either cut or boost those by rotating the Depth knob. When the Depth knob is at the center detent (neutral) there is no tone change. The amount of change increases as you rotate the Depth knob. 16 possible combinations, with infinitely variable depth.

In general the #1 setting targets the lowest range and the #8 targets the higher range, but it's not a tone knob. The out of phase frequency cancellation that Dave explained to me was too sophisticated for this old man. Let's just say there is a HUGE range of tones you can get out of this control.

And as we mentioned above, the ZIM card containing these circuits can be easily customized or replaced by differently designed ones. It's all up to you and Dave.

It sounded great. It can do boost, all sorts of OD, lead tones, I swear it sounded like an Ernie Isley "Who's that Lady" OD/phaser in one setting. I could list all the famous players whose tone you could attempt to duplicate, but that would probably depend more on your fingers than this pedal. The design of this unit is the thing- ZIM cards, all sorts of signal path options, unique voicing control, 2 great OD circuits that can be run singly, in cascading series (in A>B or B>A order), or in parallel, and a built in fx loop.

Score another one for Foxrox! Dave hasn't finalized the price but will do so within a week. He is geared up and ready to go. He has pre-orders from Toyz and dozens of folks from HC. "First come, first served."

KOT - the King of Tone by Analog Mike - a rich dark purple 2 1/2" by 5" box with gold hand lettering and the AnalogMan logo. About the size of Mike's Beano Boostor Sun Face pedals but set up wideways with two stomp switches and four control lnobs. The in/out and power jacks are across the top, but Mike says he can run them in the sides if a customer requests it. Plastic jacks, like he used on his comps, solid build, clean electronics. Thos pics coming soon, too.
http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm

This pedal has two independent channels that can be set to Normal (OD), Clean (boost/mild OD), or Distortion modes by using the 3 DIP switches inside the unit. There are independent Volume controls for each channel and a Drive and Tone knob that control both channels. The combinations are very well explained on Mike's webpage. There are two stomp switches. One turns the pedal on and off, the other selects which channel is active.

There is a Treble Boost pot inside the pedal. Mike says he tweaks this when he is playing his Les Paul through the KOT but leaves it alone with single coils. Another nice touch.

I had the pleasure of hearing Jim Weider play through the KOT. He plays good! I also heard a few other players. When I heard Jim I heard tasty country roots Tele pickin'. The man is a bending fool. The other players got ZZ Top, AC/DC, SRV, etc., etc. The pedal does not determine the tone, the player does.

This pedal provides a personalized combination of the tones that you pick. Heavy driving clean boost, sharp edged distortion, classic crunch, light boost, heavy crunch, punchy harmonics, etc., etc. The KOT can get much, much louder than any TS.

Mike is also geared up and ready to go - he figures to sell out his first ten at the Philly show. More will be ready soon. They are selling for $185.
PJ + AIC = LoveThemBones
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Thanks for the info I hadn't heard yet. These sound really really cool.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I was at the same show today and saw it.

Here's my review:

It's great!

Thanks for reading my review!

Dave is a good guy, I'm getting one as soon as they're ready.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart