Options

question about Tubescreamer...

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Yeah yeah yeah... I know... spare me the lecture...

Come on, Paco, it's me. I may not be the quickest sperm in the birth canal, but I know THAT, at least...

you're talking to captian average here.

Or Captian Self Esteem. I haven't decided yet.

My new live moniker is "Toiletbowl Confessional"
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    got it today :) good ole overnight delivery. fun fun.

now I get to toy with it tonight at practice. We are also breaking in our new bass player and lead guitarist.

fun shit.

ill let ya know how it goes. :)

thnx again

-david
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Bust a nut...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    the proverbial nut has been busted and i have to say this is the most perfect distortion. its not over the top and its rock n roll. and it also allows me to pick somewhat cleanly and then break into a nice sound. its perfect. thanks all.

this is the shit. now to record saturday.

-d

ps- PAC you were right i was playing all night probably annoying my band mates ... i was just in love with the sound.
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    do you see what i meant about sounds being inspirational sometimes?
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    do you see what i meant about sounds being inspirational sometimes?

He's literally and figuratively hearing his guitar for the first time... no longer buried under mountains of mud, his tone shines through, boosted and sparkled to perfection.

BTW, which make/model did you end up getting?
  • Options
    Originally posted by low_light
    the proverbial nut has been busted and i have to say this is the most perfect distortion. its not over the top and its rock n roll. and it also allows me to pick somewhat cleanly and then break into a nice sound. its perfect. thanks all.

this is the shit. now to record saturday.

-d

ps- PAC you were right i was playing all night probably annoying my band mates ... i was just in love with the sound.

see we're not all full of shit. Glad you are so happy. I know that joy and I know that sound. remember us when you are famous. I'll be happy to cart around your shit for you.!
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    BTW, which make/model did you end up getting?

Eh?
  • Options
    Yes, Greg I know what you mean about sounds driving you to sound better :)

it was just nice to play a power chord and a lead and it be clean and not fucking bleeding like a wound.

you guys are fucking great thanks again.

i have to admit i was doing some "not for you" and "corduroy" riffs as well as "immortality" hehe... i had to compare the sound. its fuckin fun.

over all.... its pure ROCK and ROLL sound. and thats what i was aiming for. nothing fuzzy and nuts. ill post a song soon and see what you guys think. :)

-david
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    got the Maxon Od9, Mike M
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Originally posted by low_light
    Okay so I am going to order a tubescreamer... so should I just get the regular TS or the Turbo TS? anyone have any feedback on if the Turbo version is any better?

-low

It's probably been said already but in case... try getting one from Robert Keeley.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php?PHPSESSID=7537db57e862b1e236375130d33f31ad

clcik on modded pedals, he has 4 or 5 different Tube Screamers
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Originally posted by exhausted
    he's been a dick to me in the past and i've read nightmare reviews of his service on HC.

Ive heard the same thing but never ordered anything from them

http://www.zzounds.com is good and I never had any problems using them
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    Get an MJM Blues Devil! Don't let the name fool you. Its not just for blues. This thing gives you more gain than your normal Tubescreamer. True bypass! Other tubescreamer clones to consider: Menatone Red Snapper, Pedalworx Texas Two Step
    PJ + AIC = LoveThemBones
  • Options
    I love the entire menatone series and MJM makes some nice stuff too.
  • Options
    Now for a question from me (sorry to hijack your thread):

Which one: Barber Direct drive from barberelectronics.com, Maxon OD-9, or a keeley modded TS-9?
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • Options
    From those three, I would get the Barber Direct Drive "SS." Its a little more tuneable/tweekable.
    PJ + AIC = LoveThemBones
  • Options
    Tweakable as in take it apart and play with it's insides? Because I'm not good with that nonsense.
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • Options
    That's true. I don't care for that shit anyway. Although I believe the factory setup is the orginal Barber Direct Drive setup.
    PJ + AIC = LoveThemBones
  • Options
    I vote Keeley... their 808 mod and their Baked mod are both great... his construction is unbelievable, and his customer service is legendary.
  • Options
    You know, I learned something about my ts 9 a couple of years ago. You use cheap batteries and they sound better because the voltage drops when you're driving it, and smooths it out. I don't know if you've ever heard that, but I THINK it works. Maybe it's just the power of suggestion. That's all I use now.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    so's David Barber. The barber DD is excellent. I own one. I also own a Keeley Rat 2. It's apples and oranges they both sound great. The DD SS is just more flexible. The SS is not hard to modify. The DD is slightly complicated. If you understand amp circuitry you can tweak an SS, no soldiering required. It's just 3 pots. You can get the bass response from standard (EL-34) (marshall) sound to deeper but muddier 6l6 (Fender) sound. I find the DD to be a very open medium gain pedal. Tons of volume and enough grit to make me a single channel NR amp owner happy, but It's the first in a dual OD setup with my Rat.
    you can also tweak the presence and harmonics to cut or boost I believe on the SS. You can't go wrong with barber for the money, it's very well built just like the keeley. It grows on you.

The keeley baked mod is designed to be used inconjunction with another clean TS as the second in an overdrive setup. Where as the natural TS goes from 0-10 the baked TS9 goes from 4-14 lots of gain lots of harmonics. The Keeley BD-2 is also an outstanding pedal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    The keeley baked mod is designed to be used inconjunction with another clean TS as the second in an overdrive setup. Where as the natural TS goes from 0-10 the baked TS9 goes from 4-14 lots of gain lots of harmonics.

And that's what I intend to do, my friend...
  • Options
    you won't know whether to piss or go blind. that's going to absolutely anihliate the Vibro Champ. I'd advise being careful at first. I can't tell you how awesome that set up would be on a Vibrolux.
  • Options
    you won't know whether to piss or go blind. that's going to absolutely anihliate the Vibro Champ. I'd advise being careful at first. I can't tell you how awesome that set up would be on a Vibrolux.

Or on my soon-to-be-aquired Bassman head... into two 4x10" cabinets... I get loopy just thinking about it. One cabinet on either side of the drum riser, a 50-watt Bassman head with two Keeley Tubescreamers, the Bassman cranked to power up 8 10" speakers... holy fucking overdrive and sustain!
  • Options
    Or on my soon-to-be-aquired Bassman head... into two 4x10" cabinets... I get loopy just thinking about it. One cabinet on either side of the drum riser, a 50-watt Bassman head with two Keeley Tubescreamers, the Bassman cranked to power up 8 10" speakers... holy fucking overdrive and sustain!

that's gonna tear your head off. I love it you think you know how damn loud those keeleys are. You don't. HA HA you're gonna piss yourself and play all night in wet pants.
  • Options
    I would probably just use the 808 on the Vibro Champ... that thing drives itself nicely at 7 anyways.
  • Options
    that's gonna tear your head off. I love it you think you know how damn loud those keeleys are. You don't. HA HA you're gonna piss yourself and play all night in wet pants.

Hell, with my Marshall and my Weber-loaded Crate, a Bassman would sound loud by itself, just cranked to Crazy 8's! Add a pair of unholy Keeleys to the equation... soundguys will hate me! And I'm a sound guy!
  • Options
    settle down there Malmsteen. :)
  • Options
    settle down there Malmsteen. :)

Oh, you'd cream your shorts at the chance to play on that rig. Admit it. :D
  • Options
    Oh, you'd cream your shorts at the chance to play on that rig. Admit it. :D

damn strait. Especially if you let me run it through the PA