Options

Jack White Guitar Genius

MissYouAllDayMissYouAllDay Posts: 939
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Wait.... just slow down before you jump all over me...

Why do I say Jack White is a guitar genius? Cause in my opinion a guitar genius does not imply the guy in the room with the most ridiculously fast fingers...or the guy that can play every bar chord no ones ever heard of or used.

Creativity is where it's at. Mainly fellow guitar players inspired me to post this. I am tired of hearing how bad Jack White sucks cause his music is SOOOO simple and he "rips off zeplin".

Seriously there are probably 1000 guitar players in local bands, playing in cover bands or bar bands across the states with 2x as much raw guitar dexterity/talent as jack white has. And the thing is, this shows how little pure guitar ability has to do with guitar genius and musical talent. The thing that made jack White the standout is that he came up with that amazingly catchy and cool 1 string guitar riff for Seven Nation Army. This is impressive stuff. Especially for it's time it is sooo original and refreshing. When NickleBack and insertrockradiobandhere are ruling the radio stations, what the white stripes have brought to the table is astounding. And then to hear "hardcore" rock fans jump all over the guy cause the average guitarist CAN play his music just seems really stupid to me.

Is wishlist a horrible song cause it's the first song every pearl jam fans learns on the guitar? NO it's still a beautifull song.

Especially with elephant alot of Jack Whites genius lies in the simplicity. The hardest button to button and SNA are only catchy cause there simple and in a great way.

So now that I have that off my chest the next guy in my town of 8000 people that says Jack White sucks, or his music is simple and dumb, or he rips off Zeplin is getting a dirty look from me...and maybe the finger :)
I miss you already, I miss you always
I miss you already, I miss you all day
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    You could have put it more simple, but you're right. :D

Jack kicks ass.
  • Options
    Art is many different things. 8000 notes per minute is one way to do it, One note played properly and beautifully is another.

whatever that means.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Art is many different things. 8000 notes per minute is one way to do it, One note played properly and beautifully is another.

whatever that means.

Very well stated. A simple meaning, different strokes for different folks.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    Aha!
    The emergence of puremagic,
    Hello! and thanks.

This is a very slow loading site here ( in Nepal ), but it is cool
    Be kind, man

dejstill is fucking amazing...ball and biscuit is a fucking kickass song...

jack white rocks my world. fuck yes
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by MissYouAllDay
    Wait.... just slow down before you jump all over me...

Why do I say Jack White is a guitar genius? Cause in my opinion a guitar genius does not imply the guy in the room with the most ridiculously fast fingers...or the guy that can play every bar chord no ones ever heard of or used.

Creativity is where it's at. Mainly fellow guitar players inspired me to post this. I am tired of hearing how bad Jack White sucks cause his music is SOOOO simple and he "rips off zeplin".

Seriously there are probably 1000 guitar players in local bands, playing in cover bands or bar bands across the states with 2x as much raw guitar dexterity/talent as jack white has. And the thing is, this shows how little pure guitar ability has to do with guitar genius and musical talent. The thing that made jack White the standout is that he came up with that amazingly catchy and cool 1 string guitar riff for Seven Nation Army. This is impressive stuff. Especially for it's time it is sooo original and refreshing. When NickleBack and insertrockradiobandhere are ruling the radio stations, what the white stripes have brought to the table is astounding. And then to hear "hardcore" rock fans jump all over the guy cause the average guitarist CAN play his music just seems really stupid to me.

Is wishlist a horrible song cause it's the first song every pearl jam fans learns on the guitar? NO it's still a beautifull song.

Especially with elephant alot of Jack Whites genius lies in the simplicity. The hardest button to button and SNA are only catchy cause there simple and in a great way.

So now that I have that off my chest the next guy in my town of 8000 people that says Jack White sucks, or his music is simple and dumb, or he rips off Zeplin is getting a dirty look from me...and maybe the finger :)

I like what Ben Kweller says about the White Stripes.

"They're cute and their music is good, I guess. But eventually all those kids buying their records are going to say, Wow! This fucking sucks."

It's not brilliance, it's what's cool lately, they won't be around in 5 years the music has no lasting qualities, that's why he's not a guitar genius. People cop Hendrix, Paige, SRV and Allman all the time, they aren't geniuses either. Why, because these guys invented modern rock guitar, Jack White is just adding his own flair. Obviously he's good. He gets paid to fuck off and play guitar, but he's no genius, that's reserved for the truly innovative concept changing masters. Johnny Greenwood is more of a genius than Jack White.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Well actually everyone has just "added their own flair to it".
    What makes you say his music has no lasting qualitities? That's just crazy talk. The opening notes to jeremy can be identified emidiately by any guy over the age of 16 in north america right now. That was a tottally simple, just really catchy and original little bass bit. It's clearly lasting and people don't look back on it and be liek "wow was I stupid that sucked"

People will look back on elephant and say "wow that was a really cool catchy original rock record" and those people will have the line to SNA pop into their head instantly.

Theres alot to be said for innovation with direction. Why do I love Jack White but hate creed...Nickleback etc. Theres clearly alot more to his music in my opinion. It's got a cool edge to it. I have never heard the guys you mentioned so I can't comment on them.

I think you are jaded by your guitar expertness.

Oh yah and and the guitar solo in seven nation army (even after I've heard it 1000 times on the radio) Wreaks of attitude and pure rockness.

Sincerety and attitude/feeling is way more important than technique and theory.
  • Options
    Well actually everyone has just "added their own flair to it".
    What makes you say his music has no lasting qualitities? That's just crazy talk. The opening notes to jeremy can be identified emidiately by any guy over the age of 16 in north america right now. That was a tottally simple, just really catchy and original little bass bit. It's clearly lasting and people don't look back on it and be liek "wow was I stupid that sucked"

People will look back on elephant and say "wow that was a really cool catchy original rock record" and those people will have the line to SNA pop into their head instantly.

Theres alot to be said for innovation with direction. Why do I love Jack White but hate creed...Nickleback etc. Theres clearly alot more to his music in my opinion. It's got a cool edge to it. I have never heard the guys you mentioned so I can't comment on them.

I think you are jaded by your guitar expertness.

Oh yah and and the guitar solo in seven nation army (even after I've heard it 1000 times on the radio) Wreaks of attitude and pure rockness.

Sincerety and attitude/feeling is way more important than technique and theory.

It's not like I said he sucked. It's interesting, I listen to it. It's a more raw sound than Nickleback or Creed, that may be why you like it. That's what I dig about a lot of music. I'm definately no genius on guitar more to the suck category than brillance Music is subjective. My roommate loves the White Stripes and it's better than a lot of other stuff out there, I'm just not giving Jack White a genius moniker, I can't there are too many great ones out there. If he's your genius that's fine. People would tell me I'm nuts and retarded for liking Mike McCready he's not exactly innovative either but I like his sound just like you like Jack White's sound. No one is wrong, it's just subjective.

Another perspective comes from Eric Clapton marveling the simplicity that is BB King's guitar sound.

"BB can do more with 1 note than I can do with a hundred and thirty."

If Jack White's music speaks to and inspires you then it is brillant music, I get my kicks elsewhere but it dosen't mean you have to.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    coming up with riffs and songs that people like doesnt make you a guitar genius. it makes you a good song writer. there is a difference. saying jack white is a guitar genius is just wrong, cause he isnt. there isnt anything genius about him. hell, stone and mike aren't guitar genius's. they write great guitar parts and are damn good guitarists though. there have only been a few "guitar genius's" and jack white and most people arent one of them.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dannyschmanny
    coming up with riffs and songs that people like doesnt make you a guitar genius. it makes you a good song writer. there is a difference. saying jack white is a guitar genius is just wrong, cause he isnt. there isnt anything genius about him. hell, stone and mike aren't guitar genius's. they write great guitar parts and are damn good guitarists though. there have only been a few "guitar genius's" and jack white and most people arent one of them.

exactly.
  • Options
    HiwattHiwatt Posts: 19
    you're an idiot......he fucking sucks and so does his band. It's bands like the White Stripes that make music fucking blow these days. I'm from Detroit and I've seen these guys too many times, and I can tell you they suck.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hiwatt
    you're an idiot......he fucking sucks and so does his band. It's bands like the White Stripes that make music fucking blow these days. I'm from Detroit and I've seen these guys too many times, and I can tell you they suck.

Ahhhh! I'm feeling the love for music on this board.

Maybe it is best not to see bands that you think suck so many times, and support the ones you like!

Might need clarification as to which one is the idiot here.
    Be kind, man

well then what does smart guy. I love when people respond with pure negativity and that's there entire argument.

so yah what does then? Cause I can write shitty guitar parts that people hate...does that cut it? Am I a guitar genius? What I do is tottally revolutionary...sounds like shit.....but I swear it's tottally original and crazy and no one has done it before!!!

I am a guitar genius?!!! ALL HAIL ME, GUITAR GENIUS.

I'm off to compose the most messed up guitar you have ever heard, and bash Jack White for a bit!!!

...cause I'm a guitar genius
  • Options
    "coming up with riffs and songs that people like doesnt make you a guitar genius"

well then what does smart guy. I love when people respond with pure negativity and that's there entire argument.

so yah what does then? Cause I can write shitty guitar parts that people hate...does that cut it? Am I a guitar genius? What I do is tottally revolutionary...sounds like shit.....but I swear it's tottally original and crazy and no one has done it before!!!

I'm off to compose the most messed up guitar you have ever heard, and bash Jack White for a bit!!!

Ahh,, once again, I'm seeing the love for music here!
    I agree, I HATE to see negativity!
    I'm glad you could state it so eloquently!

: (

Although,I'm still not quite sure who the idiot is yet.
    Be kind, man

guitar genius's are people that do something for the instrument. who are gonna change how guitar is played and looked at from that point on. someone such as hendrix, or eddie van halen..or tom morello...or stanley jordan...or micheal hedges. and i didnt answer negativley. you answered WAY more negative. i just pointed out that there was a difference between a song writer and a guitar genius. you are the one who got the smart ass attitude going. i really dont see how having talent on the instrument doesnt have anything to do with being a genius on the instrument. if the most i can figure out in math is 2+2...i hardly think i could ever be a math genius. creativity is definitley a big factor...but jack white although a good songwriter..isnt a guitar genius.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    Didn't respond negatively? You called me an idiot man.
  • Options
    Well,
    I hope everybody is ok, peace to you all
    Everybody should be allowed to enjoy their music, and should allow others to enjoy their own music.

See y'all
    Be kind, man

what the fuck are you talkin about?? i never once called you an idiot in my post. lay off the crack pipe, and actually read who posts what. it was hiwatt that called you an idiot.
  • Options
    In that case, sorry man. Crack....so...good...can't...resist....
  • Options
    In that case, sorry man. Crack....so...good...can't...resist....

apology accepted. hehe...crack...it does a body. it does it all night long.