Options

ok, I am taking the plunge need help

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
1960 reissue Les paul
or
195? reissue strat?

I am making an investment and I want to know what you guys would do.
Thanks for the help
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Hmmm....

Ford or Chevy?
    Pepsi or Coke?
    Tube amp or amp modelling?
    Blondes or Brunettes?
    Matt Cameron, Dave Abruzesse, or Jack Irons?
    Corona or Guiness?

Both are good choices, both are damned good guitars, and which one you choose is mostly a subjective question. Buy the one you like or want more... you can't go wrong either way.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    if i were you, i would play both of them, compare, pick the one you like the feel and sound of the most
    the one that "fits"

sometimes, depending on where you are, stores will let you rent for like a week or so......
    that might be an idea?
    TROGDORRRR!!!!!!!
  • Options
    HiwattHiwatt Posts: 19
    Anyone can play a Les Paul and sound good. A true player, plays a Strat. Hendrix, Clapton, McCready, SRV, Jeff Beck.....

Les Paul players: Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Stone....more sloppy players

Go with that Strat!
  • Options
    djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    last I checked Mike was using Les Pauls more and more. But I do agree. 50s strat, thats class right there. It just looks right, bug spotlight on you, your making guitar history, 50000 fans screaming haha
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • Options
    It depends on what you wanna play. And in my opinion the only thing a les paul has over strat is that distorted power chords sound way better, like meatier you know? But if I were you I'd take the strat, they're way more versatile. But again, it all depends on the sound you're going for.
    "If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead" - Layne Staley

Vancouver '98
    Vancouver '03
    Benaroya Hall, Seattle '03
    Arnhem '06
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    If you're buying a guitar like that you should already know your preferences.

I love strats so for me the strat is the way to go. However I also love Les Paul's it's apples and oranges. but for the weight sound and music style I play, I'd go with the strat and change the p/u switch to 5 way like Mike did.

I think I prefer the tone of single coils better (I like P-90's a lot too)

For me classic strat but I'd have to save up right after that and get the Les Paul or a 67 or so SG with P-90's.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    get the strat my god are you crazy
    "thiers still time to escape, youve got time to escape
    thiers still time so escape,,,,
    auuuhhheehhh yaeeahh "
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    So, why the 1960 LP? Do you want the standard LP with the slim-taper, or the DC Les Paul? The Burstbucker pickups are supposed to be a pretty good representation of PAF humbuckers, and we all seem to love P-90's, so you couldn't go wrong either way, I was just wondering. I really like those DC LP's, they sound great and play great.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Thanks for the help guys. I could use some more help trying to figure out where some of these are made. Are all custom shop strats built in the US? Will the custom shop swap out the pick-ups? or is this a DIY project? I have been an acoustic only player for a while and have recently decided to buy my first electric. My budget is flexable, as I would rather buy the best now, then buy 2 guitars :)
    The reason for my first questions was basically to hear others opinions. I love the sound of the Les Pauls, but I beleive the strats are capable of more tones. The Gibsons seem to be better made, and Fender loves to confuse the hell of out of the consumer.
    Thanks again.
    PS: DO I dare ask you guys which tube amp to pick up :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by JofZ
    Thanks for the help guys. I could use some more help trying to figure out where some of these are made. Are all custom shop strats built in the US? Will the custom shop swap out the pick-ups? or is this a DIY project? I have been an acoustic only player for a while and have recently decided to buy my first electric. My budget is flexable, as I would rather buy the best now, then buy 2 guitars :)
    The reason for my first questions was basically to hear others opinions. I love the sound of the Les Pauls, but I beleive the strats are capable of more tones. The Gibsons seem to be better made, and Fender loves to confuse the hell of out of the consumer.
    Thanks again.
    PS: DO I dare ask you guys which tube amp to pick up :)

Custom Shop Strats are built in the Fender Custom Shop. Corona California (yes it the US but its about 20 min from where they build Mexican Strats)

They are built by a team of builders unless they are "Master Built" by a single master builder. Master Built strats can be customized in pretty much anyway other than that the team builts must be altered after purchase but you must ask yourself if you are buying a custom shop strat why the hell would you change it? It's like modding a Ferrari.

Gibsons are not better made. They are a more solid more complicated design with set necks. Fender pioneered cheaper guitars and methods but the custom shops and most of the others are extremely well built. As of late, I am very unimpressed with Gibsons cost cutting manufacturing methods... cheap rosewood eliminating ebony from the LP studio fingerboards......downright crappy tuners. Gibsons are brilliant guitars especially the custom shops but I am more pleased with the classics (Kalamazoo, MI) built guitars than Most of the new Nashville and Memphis (333 aside it's great) units.

In the end trust your ear and YOUR senses. A guitar and amplifier should appeal to all of your senses. You must play everything and then decide. If it feels right it is. One rule of advice do not be swayed by gadgets on tube amps. Some of the best amps ever made are single channel amps. Combine them with a good overdrive and they become much more versitile and pure sounding than even the most tweekable 4 channel amp within reason of course unless you're looking to spend 4 grand on a Diezel or a Dumble Clone.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.