Options

dmb "the stone" guitar tab

xmascleanlovexmascleanlove Posts: 55
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
i know lots of people rag on dave but the tabs for this song are really ingenius...if you find the right tabs (the chorus is not full open chords)...even a really experienced guitar player is going to have difficulty picking them up right away...and another thing about this song...try and sing it and play it...it's impossible...just try and hum the vocal melody and play it...it's really that damn hard...guitarists check this tab out and tell me what you think
if you're a pot smoker and you don't own a ukulele you're fuckin up...but then once you get a ukulele you might end up moving to a guitar because its a gateway instrument you know
~ EV 6/25/03
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Anyone know what he's talking about?
  • Options
    yea. the song "the stone" by dave matthews band from the crowded streets record. good song...saw dave perform it solo at bridge in 2001. already liked dmb and had respect for him...but hearing him do that song solo just shows how great a musician and song writer he is. to have such a complex riff to play and be sing the vocal part he has for the song is pretty commendable. and whats more that its a very melodic and likable song.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,732
    The Stone is an AMAZING song. oh my God, this song is one of the best i've heard. i can listen to it over and over and over. i heard him play it on the Charlie Rose show, just him and his acoustic and i was like...:eek: i was looking everywhere for it until i finally found it on These Crowded Streets. i can't say enough about it. the lyrics and the way he sings it.....it's just incredible.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    I 2nd and 3rd that!!
    "I let go of a rope thinking thats what held me back"
  • Options
    This song so really fucking bad ass, this is one of the songs that makes me have immense amounts of respect for Dave Matthews and there's the tab for you guys. Try to find a version of him doing it solo acoustic thats the shit. Enjoy its really fun to play

The Stone

Intro:
    E
    B
    G
    D
    3-5-2-3-2
    A---5
    E

Verse:
    E
    B
    G----2
    D
    3-5-2-3-2---3-3-3-3---5-2-3-2
    2-0
    5-2----
    A--5
    1-1-1-1
    E

Chorus:
    E
    B
    G----5-5-5-5-5---5-5-5-5-5----5-5-5-5-5----5-5-5-5-5
    D----3-3-3-3-3---2-2-2-2-2----x-x-x-x-x----x-x-x-x-x
    A
    5-5-5-5-5----3-3-3-3-3
    E

Transition:
    E
    B
    G
    D
    A----7---5---8
    7---5---8
    7---5---8
    7---5---8-
    E--5---8---6
    5---8---6
    5---8---6
    5---8---6---
    Jam:
    E
    B
    G
    8-9-10--
    D----8---8
    x-x--x--
    A
    7---7
    6h8p6--6-7--8--
    E--6
    6-7-8-8
    AIM: Jimithing812
  • Options
    the version he did on charlie rose was amazing. The intro riff is usually my warm up riff.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Not to rag on you guys, because, well, I LOVE this song - easily my favorite DMB song to play and one of my fave's of theirs, period, but it's really not that hard. Very interesting intro/verse riffs, YES, but once you get those down, the vocals aren't hard to sing over it. And no, I'm no great guitarist by any means, but if you think this one's hard, just try it for a little bit, I bet you'll get it and realize it's not that bad at all.
    It makes much more sense... to live... in the present tense