Options

jazzbastard done

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/jazzbastard/front.JPG
http://www3.telus.net/alcoholiday/guitar/jazzbastard/back.JPG

sounds like a strat on steriods. middle pickup on the toggle works really well for dampening some of the treble of the others when needed.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    oh you bastard. Mine's gonna be awhile lol.
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Good job... that is one fine lookin' guitar. What do these P-90's sound like? Never heard them... (and I'm having difficulties imagining a 'strat on steroids'... lack of imagination I guess...)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Nice. Very nice.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pariah
    Good job... that is one fine lookin' guitar. What do these P-90's sound like? Never heard them... (and I'm having difficulties imagining a 'strat on steroids'... lack of imagination I guess...)

just a higher output strat type sound. you drive your amp harder b/c the pickups put out more signal but you don't lose the single coil honk/brightness whatever you want to call it that humbuckers lack.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    just a higher output strat type sound. you drive your amp harder b/c the pickups put out more signal but you don't lose the single coil honk/brightness whatever you want to call it that humbuckers lack.

In other words. think thick meaty "Who" type tone. Full and rich but still bright and crisp. The Holy Grail if you will.

You have chosen wisely Exhausted.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    yeah, there's a reason the PT signature SG comes with P90s.
  • Options
    yeah, there's a reason the PT signature SG comes with P90s.

Nick Valenski from the strokes has P-90's in his Epiphone Riviera (awesome guitar, by the way)

as for yours, where do I place my order? :)
  • Options
    we'll how are you liking it with all the new pedals? Can't put it down? How does it play and feel?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    we'll how are you liking it with all the new pedals? Can't put it down? How does it play and feel?

it will be a great guitar for thick chord playing and for some solos. due to the fact that it has 3 massive pickups under the strings, i find it's not great for my picking but that's not what it was built for. this would be a great mud guitar.

i love the increased output. it works very well with the pedals i'm using right now. the single coils and the ebony board (very thick. thicker than a fender rosewood board) make for a pretty bright guitar. but as mentioned before, i can attenuate that when i want by bringing the mid PU in. turning up the mid PU actually rolls off the overall highs of the guitar. kinda like another tone knob.

the ash makes it nice and lightweight and the great balance of the jazzmaster shape makes it very comfortable to play.

i made the right choice getting the satin finish on the neck. it feels great.

i'm now a disciple of P90s. i want a telecaster with P90s.
  • Options
    it will be a great guitar for thick chord playing and for some solos. due to the fact that it has 3 massive pickups under the strings, i find it's not great for my picking but that's not what it was built for. this would be a great mud guitar.

i love the increased output. it works very well with the pedals i'm using right now. the single coils and the ebony board (very thick. thicker than a fender rosewood board) make for a pretty bright guitar. but as mentioned before, i can attenuate that when i want by bringing the mid PU in. turning up the mid PU actually rolls off the overall highs of the guitar. kinda like another tone knob.

the ash makes it nice and lightweight and the great balance of the jazzmaster shape makes it very comfortable to play.

i made the right choice getting the satin finish on the neck. it feels great.

i'm now a disciple of P90s. i want a telecaster with P90s.

Why not build an SG body now? You have ash, try mahagony. I like the satin finish too. the thick ebony although bright feels really good to me. It's why I have my Les Paul. I'm really considering building a guitar too and P-90's are some of my favorites as well, but my brother in law is giving me his black mexican strat to play with so a set up and some lindy fralin's later, I'll let you know.
  • Options
    if i ever get an SG, it'll be the real deal with a glued neck.
  • Options
    if i ever get an SG, it'll be the real deal with a glued neck.

Ah. Yeah. But can you not get a one piece neck with the wings to glue to it? Man, maple with walnut wings would be pretty with some cream p-90's and maybe trapazoid pearl inlay's on the fretboard, good qualilty rosewood or ebony would look great jumbo 59 LP frets.......straplocks.......sperzel locking tuners.
  • Options
    Ah. Yeah. But can you not get a one piece neck with the wings to glue to it? Man, maple with walnut wings would be pretty with some cream p-90's and maybe trapazoid pearl inlay's on the fretboard, good qualilty rosewood or ebony would look great jumbo 59 LP frets.......straplocks.......sperzel locking tuners.

i can buy an SG faded (left-handed) from southpawguitars.com and alter it for less. i don't have the expertise to make something like you describe.
  • Options
    i can buy an SG faded (left-handed) from southpawguitars.com and alter it for less. i don't have the expertise to make something like you describe.

I was just dreaming......sigh.....

I've been thinking of an SG Faded as well. but only the wider HB size P-90's would work. I'm thinking of finding a cheaper SG-JR. and changing the neck and PU to something a little more suitable. no switches get boring though, I'd have to do something to make it interesting.
  • Options
    next project for me is noiseless stacked hums for my tele.
  • Options
    next project for me is noiseless stacked hums for my tele.

Fender Noiseless or other?
  • Options
    Fender Noiseless or other?

likely other. still looking at all the options. i want the same tone with higher output.
  • Options
    I hear good things about dimarzio virtual vintage.
  • Options
    what's your feeling on the lace sensors.
  • Options
    what's your feeling on the lace sensors.

I like them. I have a gold fender one. Nice round bell tone. very nice with the TBX circuit. I haven't heard the blue or red but I assume good things. They are pretty much love or hate. The best thing you could do is try out a clapton strat if you can find a lefty. or have the store guy play one for you to let you hear it.

THe company LACE sensor makes good ones as well I here but I have no experience.

You may try Tom Anderson they make nice one's too I hear.
  • Options
    i'll have to wait until next year to do this or something with a pearl jam album and DVD and paul westerberg album and DVD to buy. i'll get more inspiration out of those than new pickups. it's fun to sketch out the diagrams though.
  • Options
    me too. I'm going to just get my debt's paid and maybe an amp stand and leather strap, then the next project is a compressor and a delay possibly a reverb and some form of vibe/rotating speaker.
  • Options
    robrob Posts: 142
    That is a great looking guitar, Exhausted!

Congratulations

A "Grumpy Cocketiel Jazzbastard". Don't forget to sign it and put a #1 serial number on it. Someday it will be vintage!

Oh, ,,,And don't forget to play it!

Rob
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    Hi Rob. Salutations.
  • Options
    How is everything over there, Paco!
    I'm in town tonight and tomorrow. I don't know what the hell time it is over there, or day, or week or month!
    Salutations to you too!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    everything is wet and cold but fun. Halloween is this weekend.

I'm dressing up like Exhausted.
  • Options

I'm dressing up like Exhausted.

aye carumba
  • Options
    I'll look out for an "exhausted" mask here. Might not find one. What's the closest substitute, A Robert Redford mask?, or a George Bush mask!?
    Besides, if I dress up for Halloween here, I'll have the locals running me out of town, following me with torches. They don't have halloween here. Actually, though , very peaceful people here in Nepal. I would become one with all, even if I AM wearing a Casper the Friendly Ghost costume.
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    Originally posted by rob
    I'll look out for an "exhausted" mask here. Might not find one. What's the closest substitute, A Robert Redford mask?, or a George Bush mask!?
    Besides, if I dress up for Halloween here, I'll have the locals running me out of town, following me with torches. They don't have halloween here. Actually, though , very peaceful people here in Nepal. I would become one with all, even if I AM wearing a Casper the Friendly Ghost costume.

Striking resemblence to Jesus. or maybe Moses, but not so much Charlton Heston as Moses.
  • Options
    Hmm,
    I'm sort of up for everything, not afraid of much, but if I wear a Jesus costume on the streets here in Bhaktapur,Nepal, who knows what kind of reaction I would get! Definitely wearing running shoes under my robes!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!