Options

amps

2»

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I'm currently living on the edge of my savings account limit... and I have a bid in on another purchase. I was waiting to buy until a later date, but an opportunity arose that I can't pass up... here's hoping...

We all feel each other's pain, you know...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i know. i'm watching a nice taylor 310 that i'd really like.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    my new couch makes me happy currently. It rules.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i wish my music area was big enough for a little couch thing. i'd stay there 24 hours a day.
  • Options
    62strat62strat Posts: 638
    explain to me the reissue bassman tweed...

ive heard these things get really muddy and not so great....??
  • Options
    If cost is no object, get a Savage Audio Blitz. That was the big orange amp head that Stone had on this last tour. The morning after their St. Paul show, I went to Savage Audio's shop (in Burnsville, MN) to try a few of them for myself. They had to be the sweetest sounding amps I've ever played and were extremely versatile for a single channel amp.

Pricing also starts at almost $3000US. I had to settle for a T-shirt instead.
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    Originally posted by 62strat
    explain to me the reissue bassman tweed...

ive heard these things get really muddy and not so great....??

Well, they have such a great reputation that everyone expects it to be the amp for them. It's not the amp for everyone. If you want hi-gain Marshall or modern-gain Mesa Boogie, you won't get it out of a Bassman. A lot of people put hi-gain distortion pedals in front, and they get lousy results because it does get muddy. A Bassman is built to sound good naturally overdriven, or boosted by a good compressor or a Tubescreamer-ish overdrive. A Blues Driver, Sparkle Drive, or other similar mid-boost overdrive sounds great through a Bassman. Good overdriven Blues tone... although Kurt used a Bassman on most of the Nevermind recordings, Billy Corgan uses a Bassman in the studio, and Billy Joe from Green Day used a Bassman for a lot of Nimrod.

I would recommend going to a store and playing on a '59 reissue with a Tubescreamer, a Blues Driver, or even a DS-1. That's the way to play a Bassman.

You also might check out Ashdown amps... they have some pretty good deals on stuff right now.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031116220805150131025216457502/g=guitar/search/d=tp?q=Ashdown

Ampeg makes some amazing tube amps...
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031116220805150131025216457502/g=guitar/search/d=tp?q=Ampeg+guitar
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Well, they have such a great reputation that everyone expects it to be the amp for them. It's not the amp for everyone. If you want hi-gain Marshall or modern-gain Mesa Boogie, you won't get it out of a Bassman. A lot of people put hi-gain distortion pedals in front, and they get lousy results because it does get muddy. A Bassman is built to sound good naturally overdriven, or boosted by a good compressor or a Tubescreamer-ish overdrive. A Blues Driver, Sparkle Drive, or other similar mid-boost overdrive sounds great through a Bassman. Good overdriven Blues tone... although Kurt used a Bassman on most of the Nevermind recordings, Billy Corgan uses a Bassman in the studio, and Billy Joe from Green Day used a Bassman for a lot of Nimrod.

I would recommend going to a store and playing on a '59 reissue with a Tubescreamer, a Blues Driver, or even a DS-1. That's the way to play a Bassman.

You also might check out Ashdown amps... they have some pretty good deals on stuff right now.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031116220805150131025216457502/g=guitar/search/d=tp?q=Ashdown

Ampeg makes some amazing tube amps...
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031116220805150131025216457502/g=guitar/search/d=tp?q=Ampeg+guitar

try chaining two Tubescreamers or a Tubescreamer and a Rat toegther. Adjust for taste. If that's too muddy go to a blackface Super Reverb.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    try chaining two Tubescreamers or a Tubescreamer and a Rat toegther. Adjust for taste. If that's too muddy go to a blackface Super Reverb.

The Supers were a melding of the Twin Reverb and the Bassman... take the "Bass" out of Bassman, make it a dedicated guitar amp, and add some sparkle and reverb. They're great amps... Good enough for SRV, good enough for Derek Trucks, good enough for you and me.

Hard as a bitch to find one, though.

I hear the dual-tubescreamers. I have a friend who's in a Black Sabbath cover band. He plays through an old Fender Twin copy with a pair of Tubescreamers in front. I never thought his amp could sound that big...