Options

***The Bassists equipment thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Hells yeah, man... what do you play? Guitar? I play a little of everything... so I'm not sure where I fit.

Oh, you have no idea... I'd like to get a better comp, like a limiter-enhancer, and a Deluxe P-Bass (P/J pickups, P-bass body, Jazz neck) to match the P-Bass. A Rickenbacker 4001 would be sweet, too. But the cabinet is the best thing I've bought in a year. Got it for a hell of a price, too... the pawn folks never saw the new speakers, and the tolex is beat up, so it looks nasty but sounds amazing. The amp is nothing special; transparent, but clean, and loud enough. I'd like to get an Ashdown or a SWR, but that can wait a while. I've decided to be a guitar player again for the next few months.

screw the new amp get a cheap sonic maximiser like a BBE or Aphex Big Bottom and then some kind of nice smooth DBX compressor or a Bluesonus or Joe Meek. That would clean up the pumping drawback to the dynacomp. Compressors get loud when you aren't playing so without a limiter I can see how that would irk you. Such a cool rig. I used to love Trace Elliot too. You could always get a MOBass head. Ha. That cabinet is great. What about getting an old sunn head?

found you a sub

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2571140569&category=47095

ha. theres your bottom end.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I don't need any more bottom... I like a good, punchy, low-mid tone. But a Sonic Maximizer and a dbx 160 compressor (the vintage solid-state, not the new tube) would round out the tone nicely. And I've got room in the rack, too. But like I said... have other things to spend money on right now.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    I don't need any more bottom... I like a good, punchy, low-mid tone. But a Sonic Maximizer and a dbx 160 compressor (the vintage solid-state, not the new tube) would round out the tone nicely. And I've got room in the rack, too. But like I said... have other things to spend money on right now.

yeah.....tell me about it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    This stupid piece of crap Les Paul alone is gonna eat $200 or more.

I need to shield this thing, too... God damn it! I should've sold it or busted it on stage... set it on fire...
  • Options
    parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Hells yeah, man... what do you play? Guitar? I play a little of everything... so I'm not sure where I fit.

I'm a bassist extrordiaire...We would rock it out and you know it
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • Options
    Originally posted by parchy
    I'm a bassist extrordiaire...We would rock it out and you know it

So if I drive to Austin with my gear, you've got a place to practice, a place for me to live, a cool day job for me to work, and a drummer, right?

Hell, Austin... that would be cool... you like it there?
  • Options
    Yeah, Austin is awesome... probably one of the top 5 places to be in the US if you're a musician (not probably... it IS)...
  • Options
    Well, it IS the 'Live Music Capital of the World'.
  • Options
    Well, it IS the 'Live Music Capital of the World'.

Hell yeah... it lives up to that name to... you can find whatever music you're looking for at any time you want it... it's a utopia for musicians...
  • Options
    how about a band with more than one bass player? dueling bass lines. a rhythm and lead bass player. Think Entwisile or Claypool. That'd be cool.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    how about a band with more than one bass player? dueling bass lines. a rhythm and lead bass player. Think Entwisile or Claypool. That'd be cool.

Explosions in the Sky... two bassists.... one of my favorite bands... they are so good....
  • Options
    Spinal Tap had that song "Big Bottom" with all three guys playing bass... that was pretty goddamned funny...
  • Options

What are you guys playing?

I play a red ibanez btb (4 string): http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=BTB400QM
    and i use an ampeg BA-115 amp (i'm not sure if that's what it's actually called...that's just what's written on the amp)
    thieves in the window
    trouble down the hall
    the resin white ceiling
    blood, dripping, flows
    out on the front line
    preachers sweep the earth
    out on their backsides
    with nothing in common, with no problem
    she's just a girl...
  • Options
    Originally posted by jammergurl123
    I play a red ibanez btb (4 string): http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=BTB400QM
    and i use an ampeg BA-115 amp (i'm not sure if that's what it's actually called...that's just what's written on the amp)

That's a neat little bass... my first bass was an Ibanez, but it was a GSR-200.... pretty bad bass, but it was a good "learner" bass I guess.... So I aged it with a bunch of sandpaper and a hammer and I use it as a stage prop now... looks kinda cool...
  • Options
    That's a neat little bass... my first bass was an Ibanez, but it was a GSR-200.... pretty bad bass, but it was a good "learner" bass I guess.... So I aged it with a bunch of sandpaper and a hammer and I use it as a stage prop now... looks kinda cool...

Would make a good back-up, if you ever busted a string or anything else malfunctioned.
  • Options
    Would make a good back-up, if you ever busted a string or anything else malfunctioned.

Yeah... the action on it is just ridiculous though.... limits the rapid playing quite a bit... no Vic Wooten moves on that bass...

I've had the same set of Elixir strings on it for like a year and a half too... think I ought to change those soon?
  • Options
    Not if you aren't playing it at all. When they start growing shit between the winding... that's when you replace bass strings. That, or when the winding at the frets gets worn completely off.
  • Options
    Not if you aren't playing it at all. When they start growing shit between the winding... that's when you replace bass strings. That, or when the winding at the frets gets worn completely off.

Right right, but when the Polyweb coating on Elixirs starts peeling it's not a pretty sight...
  • Options
    Let's just say that the bass has certain ways of telling you when it needs new strings... like a baby and a new diaper... there are ways to tell. May not be a bell or a flashing light, but there are signs.