Options

help i need a suggestion

sup troncossup troncos Posts: 22
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I bought more or less this summer my guitar of dreams a '78 fender mustang (kurdt's guitar) but i don't feel very well with it, it could be me, in terms of beeing used to a squire tele affinity, but in some way i feel like unworthy of such a great instrument, maybe cuz i'm not a great player, also becouse the sound clear is very low, and the guitar needs a lyutery (or however you write it) work. I don't know, maybe my love will burn again or maybe not, i was thinkin' about sellin' it to buy a 60's classic series mexico telecaster, or buy a low price telecaster an' play it minwhile i decide. Maybe you really don't care, but i would be glad if you try to help me in some way.

Respect
el sup troncos
walk with me out on a wire 'couse baby i'm just a scared an' lonley rider but i gotta find out how it feels i wonna know if love is wild i wonna know if love is real
CAN YOU SHOW ME?! B springsteen

... Cuz in 1985 (as right now) the blind faith in your leaders or in any thing will get you killed, couse what i'm talkin' about here is WAR! b SPRINGSTEEN

yankee dollar talks to the dictators of the world infact is givin' orders an' they can't afford to miss a word
i'm so bored with the USA- the CLASH
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    mustangs are finicky guitars. the bridge is a piece of shit on those things.

however, that in itself isn't enough reason to get rid of it.

if you're ok with the short scale (it was too short for me) then you're ahead of the game.

and yeah, the pickups are quiet in those things (i used to have a '70).

a few things i'd look at doing:

1. block the tremolo so that the guitar stays in tune better. basically, adjusting the bridge so that the trem can only go down in pitch, not up.
    2. string it with heavier strings to conpensate for the loss of tension due to the shorter scale. this will also help the output of the guitar.
    3. look at investing in aftermarket pickups with more output than the stock units. you can get pickups that are the same size as the originals so you won't have to alter the guitars body or pickguard.

don't give up on it yet. have a luthier give it a once over and talk to him about your concerns and see what he says. mustangs are cool but not low maintenance.

i used to have a '70. however, i'm left-handed and it was right-handed so it had terrible balance. i also couldn't handle the shorter scale. but i do wish i'd kept it just for it's uniqueness.
  • Options
    Tanks, actually i'm using a 09/046 scale the bridge for me is ok, & i dont lock the tremolo, i don't know what pick ups i could buy, and i have problems with the "e" string, couse the road on the nek is quite old, so i need a lot of work on that guitar, mine is very heavy your too? Anyway i think i'll buy an' economic telecaster i've seen very beautyfull(and cheap 140 dollars) is of the SX logo, and is a sumburst vintage lookin' 52 tele, or something like that. Minwhile i'll work on my mustang & decide.
    walk with me out on a wire 'couse baby i'm just a scared an' lonley rider but i gotta find out how it feels i wonna know if love is wild i wonna know if love is real
    CAN YOU SHOW ME?! B springsteen

... Cuz in 1985 (as right now) the blind faith in your leaders or in any thing will get you killed, couse what i'm talkin' about here is WAR! b SPRINGSTEEN

yankee dollar talks to the dictators of the world infact is givin' orders an' they can't afford to miss a word
    i'm so bored with the USA- the CLASH