Options

interesting article. tube v. modelling

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Tech Tip - Modeling Amps
By Myles S. Rose

In the past, I have written a lot on solid state amps versus tube amps and modeling amps versus the amp originals they are modeling. Modeling amps have many strong points. They offer many sounds for the dollar or in a given space, are lighter in weight than many tube amps, have many onboard effects in general and require much less ongoing maintenance than a tube amplifier. Many have recording outputs or facilities. Some think that in a live venue, modeling amps can have limitations. To my way of thinking, this live aspect is sort of a "yes and no". I see many folks with 50 watt amps in small clubs, where the soul of the amp is never tapped. Put an amp like a Line 6 Vetta, Fender® Cyber Deluxe® or Cyber Twin®, or Vox modeling amp out there, and you may be surprised. These amps may be just the ticket in any size venue, and in small venues where maximum overdrive is sought at rational levels, they may be a super option.

During Christmas 2002 on a five-day cruise, there was one of the entertainers who covered just about every music style that was ever done, solo. He had a small rack with a Panasonic laptop. This held his song list and was on a music stand close at hand. It had a sound card of some sort, and internal drum machine, sequencer, and MIDI outs to a small synth rack. This was all fed into a stereo SS rig, used for PA speakers, and just there for clean sound. His Guitar amp was a Line 6 Vetta. His previous amp was a stereo 100 watt (50/50) tube amp with a tube preamp. We discussed the change, and I indicated that his rig was the best sounding rig on the ship with the Vetta. His rig was light, portable, and very versatile. In some cases, a modeling amp may be the ONLY proper choice.

Amps are like tools; you want the right tool for the job. Which is better; a screwdriver or pliers? It depends what you are trying to accomplish. If you play weddings, casuals, covers, and need a very versatile amp, these modeling amps deserve strong consideration. If you have kids looking for their first amp, there are many of these amps in nice price ranges that will not break your wallet. A modeling amp wuth onboard effects will probably save a lot of money too. Your kids won't be shelling out more money initially for reverb, chorus, and overdrive pedals. These amps in many cases do all of these things and more.

There are some places where tube amps are totally unacceptable. In the case above, on the ocean cruise, the crew on these cruise ships work seven days a week for at least a six-month tour. Same for the entertainers. The ship gets back on a Friday morning, and leaves late that afternoon. There's no time to take an amp to a tech. Every amp I heard outside of the Vetta mentioned above, sounded simply awful. Their output tubes were shot and their bias was way out of adjustment due to the tube wear. Add the factors of reliability, lack of required service, and the ability to cover many musical bases, and you get a nice picture.

I personally prefer the PROPER-wattage tube amp as a first choice, but I will take the modeling amp every time over the wrong tube amp. Why? Modeling amps allow a degree of touch dynamics and tonal ranges to be captured at most any level. You have all sorts of controls for this ability. A Fender Tweed Bassman® in a small venue can never be cranked to it's level of tone potential for some music styles. A Line 6 Vetta may pull off the "tweed sound" of the virtual Bassman® in a much more convincing and pleasing manner, at least to my tastes.

In closing, listen to these amps, and play them. See how they react to your touch.

Myles Rose is the owner of Guitar Amplifier Blueprinting in Los Angeles and also heads the Special Application Group (SAG) over at Groove Tubes. Myles also heads the Tech Support group at GT and you may send any amplifier, studio equipment, or microphone questions you may have to him at techsupport@groovetubes.com

Myles S. Rose
Guitar Amplifier Blueprinting
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Indeed. I agree with him.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Indeed. I agree with him.

Yep, I'm on board with that.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    LesbelgesLesbelges Posts: 434
    I got a really shitty amp that came with my first guitar (fender squire, model: peice of junk hehe)
    well im thinking of buying a new amp, what would you guys recommend. according to this article a Line 6 Vetta type is nice. By the way i really dont know much about amps. Thanks
    Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
    Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
    Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • Options
    LesbelgesLesbelges Posts: 434
    bumpage
    Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
    Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
    Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    The amp you want depends on the sound (or sounds) you want. If you want one particular sound, then get the amp with that sound. If you want one amp that happens to have the sound of 16 other great amps, then Line 6 is the way to go. Of course, the Line 6 model of the sound you want won't be 100% on, but it'll get 80% each of all 16 models. For example, if you want the badass Marshall sound of Mike McCready from the Vs. recordings, then the Line 6 will come close, but only a Marshall Plexi head through a 4 x 12" cabinet with Greenbacks will get there all the way. If you need further advice, feel free to clarify what you want, and we can make recommendations.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.