Ed and his SG

leatherman_8leatherman_8 Posts: 107
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I barely know anything about guitars...so bear with me, I always thought Ed's guitars sounded better when he played a Telecaster instaed of the SG he plays now...could somebody tell me the advantage of the SG or why Ed switched, because I think the Telecaster sounds better...peace~
Please don't smoke in smoke free buildings. You aren't cool, you're just an asshole
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't really think it sounds better, but I do think it fits his style more. The Tele that is.
  • Originally posted by leatherman_8
    I barely know anything about guitars...so bear with me, I always thought Ed's guitars sounded better when he played a Telecaster instaed of the SG he plays now...could somebody tell me the advantage of the SG or why Ed switched, because I think the Telecaster sounds better...peace~

i think he switched to the sg because pete townshend used it

i agree with u that the tele sounds and looks better
    "Chloe is just like me, only beautiful"
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    its not so much his guitar, well maybe it is..depends on what tele you arerefferring too...the ones he used up to like 96 or the pt schecter...

if your reffering to his teles back earliero n....its mostly his amp choice, i BELIEVE he used a distortion on his amp..., now he just overdrives the amp with his guitar....strum hard, it distorts, strums soft..its clean etc...

durin ga version of leaving here from san diego 95 i believe...before they play the song, ed doesthe riff..then stops and says..he forgot the distortion..then ripped into it...etc...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    well the main problem is intonation. Ed is copying Pete. We all copy our Hero's Petes a good guy to emulate Pete used the schecter in the early 80's who tours now he's back to the SG now so so is ed. It's too bad. Ed was really making the Schecter (His) guitar but, musicians get bored. We all do. It's like being married when you play a guitar a lot. Sometimes you get that wandering eye. With so many beautiful ones sometime you want to change. Unfortunately Ed has chosen ms. sophisticated. Miss High Maintenence. The Schecter is the sweet wonderful woman that has the breakfast ready in the morning and a kiss for you at night. The SG is the Hot little number that is never there in the morning. The SG's are really sensitive to heat; temperture; string pressure; string size etc. Kind of like a Fuzz Face or a beautiful woman there's always something that could go incredibly right or incredibly wrong.

SG's are beautiful and delicate often misunderstood creature much like a beautiful woman. When she loves you, life is good. When she ain't happy nobody's happy.

I'd love to see him pull out some kind of clean boost or even a Fuzz face, maybe even some kind of Tube Screamer but it'd be a shamed to waste all that Hiwatt brilliance though and muddy it too much so a modded blues driver with no midrange hump and some grit would be perfect. well that's just me anyway

Many of Ed's problems with tone have to do with the intonation problems due to his strumming harder touring with the guitar the outside temperture change etc. He didn't sound as good this tour as in the past mostly because of the intonation problems and well sometimes he was to drunk to pull off solos like on Leaving here. Some nights he was on other nights not so much where as you pretty much get spot on quality from Mike and Stone every night.

So anyway, maybe the schecter will stay on the shelf or maybe he'll pull something else out next time. I'd love to hear him play that brown 335 or something else like a Vox or a Ric that'd be cool.

Ed's always added this full bodied feel with his guitar work, Mike and stone are great and Ed adds fullness to it on top of Jeffs obvious brilliance.

One of the reasons Vitalogy is my favorite album (sound wise) I love the sound of Vitalogy. They rip through the guitar work.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.