Options

What key is this in?

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have this little basic 'song' - well not a song, but a few chords mainly for acoustic jingling - that sounds dramaticly simple but cute (kinda like Ed's tunes :D ), can anyone tell me in what key I'm playing? Any fuck up's, suggestions... Sounds a bit like something from Blur to me...

first bit (verse if you will):

A Emaj7 F D (times 4)

A = x7765x
Emaj7 = x7675x
F = x3321x
D = x5777x (-< or Dmin x5776x, see below)

second bit (chorus if you will):

Gmin F C (times 4 or 3, last time around add a D (or F, see below) like above)

Gmin = x5533x
F = x3321x
C = x3555x

thanks

PS: Am I a genious now?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    could be a few.

Given the Gm, you have a Bb, so FMaj (F G A Bb C D E)
    however, that doesnt really work because that would make your chord progression
    verse:
    III-VII-I-VI
    Chorus:
    ii-I-V

More likely, your in Dminor. (D E F G A Bb C) This is the same scale, but starting on a different note. now you have
    verse:
    V-II-III-I
    Chorus:
    iv-III-VII

kinda odd to have a maj2 and minor4, but it works.

if you feel like a genius, then sure, your a genius
    "If god really made us in his image, that means god is dumb all over and a little ugly on the side" -FZ
  • Options
    Originally posted by frankzappa
    if you feel like a genius, then sure, your a genius

the genius part was an ironic joke... :)

So I'm in Dminor eh? Thanks. Not that I'm using that chord, but a Dmajor. Does that make sense?

Changing the Dmaj into a Dmin (x5776x ) does sound good...

So does changing the last D in the chorus into an F, which allows me to slide that big chord up to an A.

(A and Dmin sound pretty good together, never tried that before)

See, I only go on what feels good to me... :(
  • Options
    don't worry about what key your in. It doesn't really matter. You can always have accedentals (# and b's). The only reason you really need to know what key your in is to try and find other chords/notes/scales that will work good within what you've already written. Theres plently of music out there that doesnt follow key exactly, and theres nothing wrong with that. Those unexpected chords are what make songs sound good instead of like just another predictable pop tune. your fine.
    "If god really made us in his image, that means god is dumb all over and a little ugly on the side" -FZ
  • Options
    I'm just trying to be a bit more aware of what I'm actually doing, so I can find other chords or notes - like you said - to add. I feel like my guitar playing has reached a ceiling because of the lack of basic theory, you know, a small guideline to open new creative doors. Doesn't have to be much...