Options

Best place for Boss Cs -2

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
TO get maximum tone, kick ass, beautiful disotriton...or ya, just all around better place for it.....

heres what i have right now

62 strat reissue/ epiphone les paul
boss chromatic tuner
gcb 595q wah
boss dm 2 delay
Ts9dx
ibanez sonic distortion
ts808
mxr phase 90
boss cs 2

i think im gonna put the ts9dx where it is, and take out the cs 2 out of the chain, not sure though. usually, i go with the ibanez sonc distortion and the 808 at the same time for my dirty...not too heavy, but perfectly clear distortion. umm ya....

suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    On Ebay, so you can buy a Keeley. No seriously. I like compressors where ever. I put them in front of my distortions sometimes and behind them other times you really can't go wrong, sorry.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    well describesome differences to me between some of the top compressors....
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    62 strat reissue/ epiphone les paul
    boss chromatic tuner - put this on an A/B and get it out of the chain
    wah
    phase 90
    cs-2
    ts-808
    ts-9dx
    boss dm 2 delay
    ibanez sonic distortion
  • Options
    keeley comp is transparent and quiet.

comps shouldn't have tone knobs IMO. can't remember if the cs-2 does or not.
    take a look at the dynacomp or the keeley (boutique version of the old ross & dynacomp)

ok, the cs-2 doesn't. that's a good thing over the cs-3 anyway.
  • Options
    greg....whast your reasons for setting me up in that way?
  • Options
    well, i'm guessing you're 808 is set up to the least amount of drive right.

i always follow the concept of increasing gain stages.

so, overdrive -> distortion -> heavy distortion or fuzz.

i find that in this order, the overdrive will push the distortion more when they're both on.

i put the delay before the sonic distortion though so you can still do the chunky delay thing that sounds so good. you could put it in front of the TS9 too.

and putting the phase before all the distortions seems to make it the most vibey to me.

and comp before distortion b/c it sounds less squished to me. just more sustain.
  • Options
    alright sounds good, makes sense to me...

what i do with my distortion is...

the 808 (is actually is ts5 modded to 808) sounds great though, i have that distortion turned up ...and back it up with the sonic distortion, it has cuha thick but clear hit to it...the clarity of the 808 but with the drive of the sonic distortion, wihtout the muddiness....

and im thinking of putting the ts9dx in there for the extra boost for a lead or something, instead of the cs2
  • Options
    that's the nice thing about pedals. you can pretty much do whatever you want.

if you want something to give you the boost, the CS-2 will work, but put it ahead of the distortions so that it drives the inputs of those effects more. if that's what you're going for. if you do want it just as a volume boost, then after is better.

keeley likes to put the compressor after the distortion. it just wasn't my preference.
  • Options
    so yoru saying if i put it before the distortions....it will push the overall tone of it? not change it, but i mean...thicen it, make it richer fuller? sometimes just the ts9 alone seems a little...i dont know. im not really good at putting it into words....

its nice having it as a volume boost plaing shows cause we dont have onstage engineer boosting us up through the monitors soi have played when i can hear a solo..and...well, i have a problem with loudness on stage too, im that guitarist...im working on it though...
  • Options
    tubescreamers are mid-rangey. you lose body when you hit them.

using a comp as a boost will retain the tone. it will push the pedals harder (so you'll get a bit more distortion) but the tone won't change as much. i find it much more appealling before distortion than after.

i am now using a pharoah class a boost. basically a boutique micro amp. and i love it. totally transparent, no tone change. if i want even more distortion for a solo, that's when i hit the comp.
  • Options
    so you put the comp before the distortions to get a boost with more distortion? i like this idea....if im correct on it...

as long as the comp adds a touch for a boost/distortion for a lead...then i can turn down the distortion one the 808 and rely on the sonic distortion for giving methe heavy punch.

maybe ishould invest in a volume pedal?
  • Options
    don't bother with the volume pedal. it'll kill your tone when you're cutting volume. it's good for swells but i wouldn't use it to give you room for turning up for a solo. it's passive, all it can do it cut your signal and tone.

try the comp in front of everything first. see if you like it. turn the level up and the sustain down at first to see if the boost works for you, then add some sustain.

you'll hit your pedals and amp harder this way.
  • Options
    if this works! which im sure it will...you want to be my tech?

im excited to get home and try this now...

this is such a bad hobby...

there are so many freeking pedals out there, but it hink ive got a good thing going, i just really need to work on my tone..my amp is too freeking loud...over 100 watts...so i can hardly turn it up onstage, even though i usually do a coupel songs into it, im sure sound guys hate me...and i know the band someteims does, but it just sounds like shit qhen its on 2!
  • Options
    Originally posted by 62strat
    if this works! which im sure it will...you want to be my tech?

im excited to get home and try this now...

this is such a bad hobby...

there are so many freeking pedals out there, but it hink ive got a good thing going, i just really need to work on my tone..my amp is too freeking loud...over 100 watts...so i can hardly turn it up onstage, even though i usually do a coupel songs into it, im sure sound guys hate me...and i know the band someteims does, but it just sounds like shit qhen its on 2!

the fact that you can't turn it up more and get more tube distortion is all the more reason to drive the distortion pedals themselves harder.

i'd love to be a tech. if only i had a do-over.

you were looking for a good cheap pedalboard right. check out http://www.pharaoahamps.com.

or if you want a road-worthy one. http://www.nycpedalboards.com
  • Options
    ya your absoltuely right......

actually now tha ti remember it, i brought my amp in to get fixed..some wiring was fucke dup, but it came back ...with less volume! not sure how, im sure something else is fucked up. no tone has been lost, doesnt crackle, jsut hav eto turn it up past 5 to really get any volume...so maybe this actually might help

but yes, ill put the comp ...after wah? or before wah? to boost my distortions
  • Options
    or http://www.stompin-ground.com Or make your own it's not hard.

You would love a boost 62 strat. Combined with a (tubescreamer and SD) and a compressor it's lovely, basically you are hitting the preamp tubes really hard and squeezing the harmonics out of them. Works brilliantly on single coils. In the 60's boost pedals would be chained to provide fuzz effects.

A great starting place is http://www.musictoyz.com just look for boost pedals. Pharaoh (Class A), Fulltone (Fat Boost), Zvex (Super Hard On and Super Duper 2 in 1) and Barber's new (launch Pad) are quite popular. You will love what they do to your single coils.

Pharaoh has a custom shop Class A boost on a treadle so you can morph from low boost to high boost. Really cool.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    ok so i can or cant use my boss cs2 for a boost?

if i put it before the distortions it wont work as aboost?
    i should get a boost pedal for this?

now im confused...damn you boys rae good
  • Options
    no, the comp will be a good volume boost regardless of the amp.

i run my amp ala ed (right on the edge of distortion). any boost i give yields tube distortion.
  • Options
    sure a compressor makes a great boost. Crank the gain on the compressor and turn the sustain knob down a little. Adjust attack to taste crank your amp up and let er rip. You should be able to control it via the gain knob. any booster added to this will only enhance the effect. Think chaining distortions toegther. One is nice, but 2 is much better.
  • Options
    awesome. the cs2 is a pretty damn nice comp, hell gilmour used one...

anyway, thanks alot

so as this stands

i use the sonic distortion and 808 together for my crunch, and put the comp BEFORE these two pedals to add the extra uummmp, or just use the comp and 808 for lighter crunch...now should the comp go before my wah or where?

and should i just keep the third ts9dx out of the chain if im setup with the comp?
  • Options
    go either:

wah -> phase -> comp

or wah -> comp -> phase

there will be perhaps a slight difference in sound.

and, if the TS9 and 808 give you what you need, skip the SD9. but if the SD9 adds to your palette, leave it in.
  • Options
    Originally posted by 62strat
    awesome. the cs2 is a pretty damn nice comp, hell gilmour used one...

anyway, thanks alot

so as this stands

i use the sonic distortion and 808 together for my crunch, and put the comp BEFORE these two pedals to add the extra uummmp, or just use the comp and 808 for lighter crunch...now should the comp go before my wah or where?

and should i just keep the third ts9dx out of the chain if im setup with the comp?

I keep my compressor on a lot (ok I did when it worked) if you can get more boost out of it and less actual compression there's no problem with integrating it into your clean tone. configure the Tubescreamer and Sonic distortion so that you can hit them both with your foot toegther for your crunch. It is a great compressor in the end it's all about tone anyway. Don't you have a DM-3? how does it react to compression?
  • Options
    i pretty much get what i need out of using the SD and the 808, i havent had the ts9dx in my chain for a year now....i just want the most tonal possibliites when im playing....but that might cause a problem if ihave too many!

ya ihave a dm 2...i love that freeking thing....when i had the compressor at the end of my chain, the delay wasnt afected at all by it...works beautifuly, there is a major difference where that delay is put thats for sure, i can get more control out of it if its before the distortions...its pretty crazy if its at the end of my chain, the delay actually gets away from me...if that makes sense. but where it is, its perfect...i can get any range out of it i want...at the end, not much i could do with it
  • Options
    why not put all 3 tubescreamers toegther.
  • Options
    thats what im thinking of doing, is that too much with all t3 plus comp?

whatever pedal i put after the last. thats the tone i get, so if i put the sd9 last int he chain, that will pretty much override all other tone, its a great pdeal but kind of muddy, not exactly what i want. so i put that behind the 808 to drive it, and i was thinking of putting the ts9 first for a solo boost for leads....while im running the SD and 808
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    why not put all 3 tubescreamers toegther.

too muddy?
  • Options
    thats what i was thinking
  • Options
    set the two tube screamers to clean boost. gain all the way down volume all the way up. Tune the SD to taste. I have a Keeley Rat that is Marvelous behind my TS because it does not enhance the midrange. I don't believe that the SD does either.