Options

ordered this delay pedal tonight..

low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
what do you guys think of this pedal? i was going to go with the good ole Danelectro analog delay because honestly it has a lot more noodling ability for the delay but i like the stereo ability of this pedal and the fact it has a rich reverb addition in certain modes.. helps with some solos in a couple of songs we are working on. (IE: like the end solo in this song that is still unfinished and rough http://low_light_music.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/condescend-unfinished.mp3 i used a delay and drown it in reverb for the hook riff and end solo.)

anyway what do you all think of this boss digital delay. vs maybe an analog delay? heres the link of the pedal:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031020103202012086136149425498/g=home/search/d=tp?q=boss+dd-6

-low
www.myspace.com/eotoband
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    You can't go wrong with a Boss DD-6. Those things are really clean, clear, and precise, and you can adjust them to get so many different tones... it's mind-boggling. That song is pretty sweet, too. Good recording, especially for an mp3.

Here's a great (funny but true) explaination from the AnalogMan web site:

"Analog delay:
    Imagine a line of laid back, hippy monkeys, each with a guitar just like yours. They're sitting on little stools in a cunning arrangement such that each monkey can only hear the monkey sat before him. The first monkey hears what you played, turns to the next monkey and plays it back to him. He then turns, and plays to the next monkey. At each stage, little mistakes are introduced due to the hippy monkeys' inherent laid-back-ness. At the end, the last monkey plays, and his guitar is connected to the output.

The monkeys are in a big big circle, and the first monkey, as well as hearing what you're playing, can also hear the last monkey - but not very well. There's a baffle between them, which cuts down how much he can hear. The first monkey plays both what you're playing and what he can hear of what the last monkey is playing, and this is passed on as before.

Now imagine the monkeys are tiny, as before, with tiny guitars and tiny stools and a tiny baffle. They're in a box. A knob labelled “feedback” controls the baffle. Then, kapoosh! The monkeys disappear and are replaced by a Bucket Brigade chip, and off we go.

Digital delay:
    Exactly the same as analog delay, but there are many more monkeys, and they're all actuaries and very precise. Some people miss the laid-back-ness of the hippy monkeys, but many like knowing that little actuary monkeys are taking very good care of what they're playing. Some of the monkeys know special tricks, like making what they play come out of the output even though they're not the last monkey."
    (Quoted from http://www.analogman.com/monkey.htm)

That page is hilarious, and gives some great insight into FX pedals and what they do.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    haha thats good shit, McC. thanks :)

Yeah I'm pretty confident that i bought a good pedal. now all i need is a good tube head and a marshall stack and ill be set.

as for the song thanks. nothings finished but the guitars and drums. but you kinda get the idea of what i wanted the delay to sound like. i actually had an old boss DD before but it crapped the bed. so now i have to spend some cash on the new one. and i havent used this version yet.

i should get it in time for wednesdays gig (crossing fingers)

out of any effect i have to say i love delay the most

-low
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    I've got an old Ibanez DM-1100 that I love to death. It's a great, glassy digital delay that kicks ass thru my Vibro Champ. Here's a close match, a DM1000:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2566619822&category=23790

A friend of mine has one of these:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031020231623150131025216608059/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/103518

He plays in an ambient-pop noise group, they're pretty trippy. All instrumental, jammed out, but with an indie background. Think Built to Spill with no vocals. That's probably one of the best delay pedals, that and the Line 6:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031020231623150131025216608059/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/41386

But for me, I couldn't live without my Tube Screamer.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I like analog delay but I really can't afford it. I'm going to get a DD-6 too. It's about as versitle as you can get for the money. Pretty much everything analog save the Old DOD FX 96? and the Boss DM-2 (3) is 300 bucks. The Boss DM is what McCready used for a while. It's a great pedal, sometimes they go for a hundred or so on Ebay but I'm thinking of just getting A DD-3 or 6 and being done with it for a while. I want a vibe too and that's going to be close to 300 bucks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    62strat62strat Posts: 638
    yes ive got the boss dm 2 delay, got it for about 175 on ebay...little christmas presetn. ilove hte thing, for me...youc ant beat it, i can get many types of delay out of it..and its so....fun!....best wayt to desccribe it....love it.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it'll be ok. you have a dan-echo too though right?

leave both in the chain. the DD-x are great but that analog feel is useful from time to time too.

for the $100 more i'd get the line6DL4 which can do anything you want delay wise. in stereo.

but the DD-6 will be cool.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    it'll be ok. you have a dan-echo too though right?

leave both in the chain. the DD-x are great but that analog feel is useful from time to time too.

for the $100 i'd get the line6DL4 which can do anything you want delay wise. in stereo.

but the DD-6 will be cool.

DD-6 is also stereo for the record.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Exhausted, are you kidding me?

A DL-4 for a hundred bucks?! Look at this cozy dutch shop (btw, it's Holland's cheapest music store)... funny detail, look its old price (with the line through it) and the new price (red, after "voor:")... :p

But I hope to get my hands on this 150 bucks DM-2 I have seen here... now that would be cool... that DD-6 is nice however low_light, as is the song.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    sorry. i meant for the $100 *more*.
  • Options
    yeah for all you get with the dl-4 it's probably worth it. I'd love to find one for 200 bucks. But damnit I hate that green color.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    yeah for all you get with the dl-4 it's probably worth it. I'd love to find one for 200 bucks. But damnit I hate that green color.

dumb reason to ignore a brilliant pedal.
  • Options

you would give me this the day I pay bills, and rent is coming up and insurance.

Thanks dude.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    you would give me this the day I pay bills, and rent is coming up and insurance.

Thanks dude.

and they bestowed unto me the name 'lucifer'.
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    sorry. i meant for the $100 *more*.

:eek::eek::eek:

*blushes* Sorry dude... gotta get my eyes checked...
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    Originally posted by pariah
    :eek::eek::eek:

*blushes* Sorry dude... gotta get my eyes checked...

no, you were right. i edited it after you pointed it out. i was typing too fast.
  • Options
    and they bestowed unto me the name 'lucifer'.

get the behind me lucifer. Thou hast a name and it is Exhausted.

Pay bills then play. Stupid bills.
  • Options
    hehe, well right now I can afford a buck fifty. not three bills for a delay pedal. and this one is in stereo too so I think it'll feed my needs well. thanks for all the info on the other pedals though guys.

Question I understand having it in stereo for panning abilities. but how does it work up on stage while playing? anyone have an example to explain how it can be used.... ? do you have to bend over and physically pan it or is there a feature to do it with your foot? i dunno. im such a novice.

-dm
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    manuals are good places to start. I'd run the delay out's to the PA speakers. Now that's a pan.
  • Options
    the DD-3 ping pongs left to right on it's own. but you'd have to run it direct to the PA unless you've got two amps.

boss manuals are always good. just read through it and try everything once you get the pedal.
  • Options
    will do. i can push it through our PA speakers hehe.

fun

-low
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    http://www.analogman.com/boss.htm

for you little delay monkies.
  • Options
    Best way to get that stereo sound is to have two matching amps, one for left and one for right. The panning is built into the stereo effects program of the pedal, so you don't have to manually adjust it, it's automatic. If you had that running into two Fender Deluxes... that would be so sweet... But unless you can afford that, it's pretty well not an option. Some amps have stereo inputs or stereo effects loops, but that's another story entirely. The PA answer will get you that stereo sound pretty easily.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Best way to get that stereo sound is to have two matching amps, one for left and one for right. The panning is built into the stereo effects program of the pedal, so you don't have to manually adjust it, it's automatic. If you had that running into two Fender Deluxes... that would be so sweet... But unless you can afford that, it's pretty well not an option. Some amps have stereo inputs or stereo effects loops, but that's another story entirely. The PA answer will get you that stereo sound pretty easily.

Rotary effects like phasers etc are awesome in the PA.
  • Options
    this is why i love my pod.

seriously. find your sound. whatever it is. then add a slight touch of the built in chorus. the sound explodes with the added stereo effects. i've fallen back in love with my POD.
  • Options
    i'm going to have some fun this next week or so I can tell. we just landed us a frettless bass player that fits with what my boy brian did in the studio with his Korg... im getting excited. tomorrow's gig will be fun.

thanks again everyone for all your input.

-lowy
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    I've the DD-5, and I love it. On the DD-6, though, what's the Warp Mode? I know they added that to make the DD-6, but what does it do?
  • Options
    *breaking out the manual*

just got it tonight. ill use it at the show tonight. but here is the explanation of warp. I doubt Ill toy with this mode till practice

WARP MODE- continues increasing the feedback on top of the regular delay effects to produce an extraordinary effect. you can also repeat the warped delay sound to produce an effect similar to layering sounds on top of this.
    --- When you hold the pedal down the feedback and volume continue to increase. when you release the pedal it returns to your knobs settings.

so i assume you can kind of swell the sound up and back. sounds cool.

-low
    www.myspace.com/eotoband