Options

i went into guitarworks last night

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
shitty store run by a shitty guy.

but they have awesome amps. mesas, oranges, matchless!!!! and blackcat!!!!

it was hard to take.

they had a left-handed highway 1 strat too. very nice.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah, if they sell all those cool amps usually they are ass holes.

It's like shopping for any topshelf item most of those guys are snobs. They need to feel superior good luck trying anything out too. It takes me forever to make a decision so they don't like me too much until I buy then they love me. From what I hear Matchless is still the real deal Black Cat is essentially the same thing. Both proudly display thier prices too.

Did they sell Diezel or Two Rock?

I like the highways and the Gibson satin finishes too.

They have that 333 with the satin finish, get some covers and its a $1,000 335 Daddy likes. Plays like a 335 and sounds like one too!
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    i understood that blackcat was started by the guy who was matchless. but it's been a couple years since i looked into it. no diezel or two rock. loads of mesas. a couple orange heads and cabs. and the orange marshall stack. a matchless head and 2-12 cab (i think). a couple combos. and the same for blackcat. didn't look closely b/c it was close to closing and i'm so not in the market.

i guess after some set-up work, the 333 is sweet. but out of the box it's rough. and of course, no left-handed. otherwise i would have ordered on already.
  • Options
    yeah the trade off of Gibson Memphis is crappy QC.

Mark Sampson the founder of Black Cat (Co founder-SMF, Matchless) had a money dispute or something with Matchless. I think they went broke because their overseas buyers (japanese market) crashed leaving bills unpaid. Someone bought the rights to the company I guess and began to make matchless again. My shop guy here Bill says the new Matchless are every bit as good as the old and that Sampson has slacked on build methods in the Bad Cats (much like Roger Mayer has) Whether or not to believe him completely I don't know. He's not fond of Dr. Z or Fulltone or Jaques either. but he dosen't sell those brands if they aren't trade ins or consignment.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    some day (if i ever start playing live again) i'll be in the market for a good 15W class A me thinks.
  • Options
    you know those smaller amps are so appealing Dr Z Mazarati, Matchless, SMF, Rivera. vibro champ so cool.

I kind of want a few more watts though and a practice room for more head room. Maybe I'm just deaf. 15 watters respond so quickly though. High volume output pedals make them absolutely scream.
  • Options
    i would want it for dirty so that's good. i'm got all the chime in the world (for my tastes) with the deluxe.
  • Options
    Perhaps I should look into a deluxe for clean but I really can't decide between the vibroluxe, vibroverb, deluxe or Super laquered tweed bassman sounds cool too.

There aren't to many guitars that come perfect from the factory but the 333 is tempting as is the Epi Elite-1963 Dot Still both would need a p/u swap but you are saving 2 and a half grand on the guitar so buy some P/U's right.
  • Options
    until we're both in accomodations that don't have shared walls, it's all moot.
  • Options
    indeed. I need to get married to validate myself.