help me out paco

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
why won't this work?. something tells me it won't but i don't know why.

edit: nevermind. i know why it won't now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I don't understand it. Something tells me it's not grounded properly but write the whole thing out in words instead of a flow chart and I'll try.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    ok.

one pole for switching the effect on and off.
    one pole for switching the LED on and off.

'in' from guitar.
    signal either goes to the effect or the bypass.

in the "on" position.
    -bypass branch is dead b/c contact is broken between switch terminal it's connected to and common output. no current.
    -all current to effect input.
    -out of effect input to terminal of switch.
    -then jumps (internally) to common output of switch to output jack.
    -bypass branch is dead.
    -at the same time on the other pole, power is fed from the common +9V to the LED.

in the "off position"
    - effect branch is dead b/c contact is broken between switch terminal it's connected to and common output. no current.
    -all current into bypass input to terminal of switch.
    - then jumps (internally) to common output of switch to output jack.
    -effect branch is dead.
    at the same time on the other pole, power is fed from the common +9V to ground and LED is off.

the only thing i can see that is wrong with my thinking is that the effect branch is going to suck current when it's off through it's ground points. i think that's the problem.
    i'm so dumb. this is basically the first schematic they used when LEDs came out.

so i re-invented the wheel. and it's a shitty wheel at that.

it's a tone suck.
    that's what I was getting at. because of the way it's ground it looks like it will suck tone.

Each signal loop must be truely bypassed for it not to suck tone because of bleed through.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    yeah, i'm screwed. i either go with fulltone switches or try to build the true bypass on geofex.

it's ok for my A/B boxes. there's no issue and DPDT is ok for that.

but if i want to do any actual effects or the loop bypassers i was thinking off, i'm stuck.
    well again check the pharaoh amps site out. Matts pedals are quiet and he uses 2pdt's. no schems but he does have pics so you can see where stuff goes. Or just fly to california beat up mike fuller and take a few switches, it'd probably be cheaper.
    pharoah uses a version of the millenium bypass it appears from the pictures on their site.
    does that help you at all?
    not really b/c it would involve me making little circuit boards for them. etc. etc. time intensive and i've never done it before.

i can get the fulltones from stewmac and it works out to less than the $30CAN the guy up here wants.
    yeah eched glass epoxy PCB making is probably pretty hard. O well. I tried. The fulltone switches are great switches anyhow.
    thanks for your help. if i could make PCB the answer would be easy but i can't.

in other news, trying to track the parts to make a dynacomp or a microamp or anything else is a pain in the ass. probably easier to find used ones on ebay.

my new dream is to use one of those sloped hammonds we were looking at the other day and making a large, multi switch true bypass unit for 8 or so pedals. sadly, that's like $130US in switches alone. it would be cool though. slightly overkill for what i need though.

i think i'll just buy a couple switches from the guy here and true bypass the muff and a couple other things.
    Pretty soon I'll be blowing out my Dyna Comp cheap, they are going for a hundred bucks now but I'm selling this one for 25+ or so I think or what ever I think I can get off E bay, the shell should be worth that much. I could just trade it with you. It works but it's scratchy either because the pot is bad or a soldier joint is loose for what I know I've thoroughly cleaned it sometimes its perfect most times it's buzzy, or you could send it to Analog man for Ross or ross for Saphron Squeeze specs and a snazzy paint job for 85 bucks.
    i think i may just save my pennies and see how/if this little switchbox venture of mine goes. once the damn parts get here and i can take a couple down to the music store and hook up a bunch of different amp combinations to them and see how they work, i'll know if it's worth pursuing.

for now, i'll just stick to putting a bunch of ideas on paper and being happy with that.

as for your dyna comp, i'd go the ebay route first. unless i knew exactly what was wrong with it, i'm a little hesitant. do you mean buzzy all the time or just when you're turning a pot?

once you've got your switchbox from me and know that it works for you and you want to keep it, we can talk about it again.
    it's buzzy but It fades in and out as the wierd pumping DC's do. this is normal.

THe buzzy seems as if it is comming from the Sustain knob. I think it's a pretty obvious bad pot or soldier joint but at this point I'm ready to write it off I want a Barber Tone Press a Keeley Analog man or one of those Jacques jobbers. I may open it up again but I don't know. If I can't sell or trade it I'll just give it to you.
    my sparkle drive's clean pot is dirty. cracks like a mofo when you turn it. surprisingly, i've never had that one open. it's the microvibe i'm always taking apart.

seems like the kind of thing you should be able to get fixed for pretty cheap at any given music store. shame to ditch the pedal b/c of it.
    yeah, I may pull it apart tonight and screw around with it if I can, but I don't have a soldiering gun at the new place.