Options

Reaching... its hard these days. mp3

low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://low_light_music.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/reaching.mp3
(c) 2003 engine of the ocean

have a listen its being worked on. i am wondering about the middle bridge with the distortion. let me know what you guys think. its obviously not mixed right at that point. this is a rough cut. but im thinking along with a distorted part soemthing needs to be added.

anyway..

-dm
www.myspace.com/eotoband
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Good song... reminds me of Believe You Me from the Bad Radio days. The organ section is pretty cool. What did you use there? Modeler, or the real deal? The distortion is kinda funky... a little verb and a doubler delay? It's more of a textural effect, I guess. I love the clean tone, what did you use there?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    yeah the distortion is awkward. we miced my amp and turned the gain down and he was using a ribbon mic. but the sound was weird. i want that bridge to be okay but i will redo it and obviously the mix of the sound was way too high.

the organ is from my band mate Brians KORG triton.

as for the guitar it was miced again clean with the Ribbon mic and then we used the Chorus effect with his mixer.

it makes for a nice laid back sound. kind of like the reason i wrote the song. reflecting on life. nothing you can do about it.. just enjoy being alive i guess...

thanks checking it out McC.

-d
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    I suspected a Triton was involved. Sounded too clean to be a Hammond. Those Triton organ tones are amazing.

So, what was the guitar-amp combo for the clean tone?

The distortion did seem kinda muddy. But like I said, it's more texture than melody, so it's not bad. You have to really listen to even hear it, it doesn't stand out in the mix at all.

But I do love that organ part... kicks ass...
  • Options
    I have a Mexican Strat :)

here are some pictures...

http://www.engineoftheocean.net

first pic is me and my mexi strat.

next is brian and his Triton and the yamaha.... he duel wields.

as for the amp this is the amp i have now:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031027234518012075003130145610/g=live/search/detail/base_id/59651

it was mic'd. not sure the brand of ribbon mic though.

-dm
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    It had to be mic'd... just can't get good tone through direct line. Well, a Tele, neck pickup, through an Avalon tube DI, sounds pretty good. But that's about it. That's a pretty sweet version of Drugs Don't Work... keep up the good work.
  • Options
    thanks man.

and yeah we recorded mic'd and direct line and the direct line sounded like cheesy shit. so i dumped it.

drugs dont work.... im gonna cover that soon at the next few gigs.

great song. okay im fuckin tired im off to bed

-dm
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    Hey David,

I'd say I hope the recording goes well, but I can tell that it is!

I was always a big fan of Reaching when you did it solo/acoustic, but I never had a really good quality recorded version. So this is pretty cool. I think I know where you're coming from on the Bridge, but it will work out fine in my opinion.

Also, I saw you put So Much for Nothing out there, so I checked that out, its really good too. Definitely one of your better *new* songs, very cool stuff. People are going to love the new disc man, great job.

later
    John
  • Options
    thanks, JB. but smfn is wrecked right now. so we will keep that one on the down low.

-low! :)
    www.myspace.com/eotoband