Options

Black

take my handtake my hand Posts: 11
Who was black written for? Eddie sings it with so much passion and emotion..it couldnt be about beth though, could it? Yeah anyway...just wondering if anyone knows who it was written for. . Ta
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    "Black" is a masterpiece.....that song to this day gets to me.and it is so true,,,,, "how quick the sun can drop away..."
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • Options
    Originally posted by take my hand
    Who was black written for? Eddie sings it with so much passion and emotion..it couldnt be about beth though, could it? Yeah anyway...just wondering if anyone knows who it was written for. . Ta

Nobody really knows cept Ed himself. That is something that Ed has never spoken about publically and I can't say as I blame him for that. I'm just glad that he gave us such a beautiful song.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    yeah, i'm glad we don't know who it's about. It's Ed's business and i totally respect that. This song just grabbed me and changed my life. I can't describe how this song affects me and speaks to me. pure power.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    Probably for his ex wife beth, could that be?
    BANZÄÄÄ

When he was six, he believed that the moon overhead followed him
    By nine, he deciphered the illusion, trading magic for fact, no trade-backs
    So this is what it's like to be an adult?
    If he only knew now what he knew then
  • Options
    whoYOUarewhoYOUare Posts: 274
    im not sure know would make a difference. as it is now we can all take it and use it in whatever way we want. this song is especially emotional for me, and sometimes listening to it (and screaming my lungs out along with it) is too much for me to handle. If Eddie just told us flat out what it was about then it would take that away from us.
    peace
  • Options
    LontanLontan Posts: 52
    Originally posted by a country doctor
    Probably for his ex wife beth, could that be?

It was written way before that they got divorced.
  • Options
    WernyWerny Posts: 63
    *sniffles*
    This puke stinks like beer, and everybody's here, so come on come on come on, let's lay waste to this Century...
  • Options
    uzaliveuzalive Posts: 25
    Destiny awaits. The air I taste and I breath has taken a turn.

For Roseanne,

From Your last american virgin
  • Options
    edeneden Posts: 407
    Originally posted by ||Release_Me||
    yeah, i'm glad we don't know who it's about. It's Ed's business and i totally respect that. This song just grabbed me and changed my life. I can't describe how this song affects me and speaks to me. pure power.

Agreed . Some things are beyond words . Black just gets better with time and I think to me personally has the most profoundly beautiful , deep and moving lyrics of any song Ive ever heard .
  • Options
    Okay.....I got a story about this, see how far fetched it seems to you......I grew up in Bloomingdale, Illinois....about 45 minutes from Ed's hometown of Evanston, Illinois (Chicago-burbs)

Now, before PJ boycotted the press, back in like 93' or 94', Rolling Stone had a full blown interview issue with PJ titled, Pearl Jam - A Year In The Life....I think the reporter was with them for the Vs. Tour or something...anyways from what I remember, It's all hazy now, it was a decade ago, and I have done lots to my brain in that time, ......but I think Ed opened up about it then, about his high school sweetheart-break...he dated her late high school for a year or two, and this part is really hazy, but I think she went on like a European Vacation, and upon return, broke it off with Ed....
    not sure, but they broke up....and not long after Ed dropped out Senior year and ran away to San Diego

(He got up out of there, ran for hundreads of miles)
    (Made it to the ocean, had a smoke....ext)
    Given To Fly....huh? .....maybe? .....huh? LOL

So Ed has his San Diego 80's band known as "Bad Radio", before Jack hooks him up with Jeff & Stone in Seattle....so now the kicker, last part of the story, and the most far fetched.....
    My brother, who is the same age as Eddie, said he met a girl in college (Northern Illinois University) who "CLAIMED" that she dated Eddie in High School
    Hell; a paticular realm of the after life where they never play Pearl Jam
  • Options
    Originally posted by chicago23x
    Okay.....I got a story about this, see how far fetched it seems to you......I grew up in Bloomingdale, Illinois....about 45 minutes from Ed's hometown of Evanston, Illinois (Chicago-burbs)

Now, before PJ boycotted the press, back in like 93' or 94', Rolling Stone had a full blown interview issue with PJ titled, Pearl Jam - A Year In The Life....I think the reporter was with them for the Vs. Tour or something...anyways from what I remember, It's all hazy now, it was a decade ago, and I have done lots to my brain in that time, ......but I think Ed opened up about it then, about his high school sweetheart-break...he dated her late high school for a year or two, and this part is really hazy, but I think she went on like a European Vacation, and upon return, broke it off with Ed....
    not sure, but they broke up....and not long after Ed dropped out Senior year and ran away to San Diego

(He got up out of there, ran for hundreads of miles)
    (Made it to the ocean, had a smoke....ext)
    Given To Fly....huh? .....maybe? .....huh? LOL

So Ed has his San Diego 80's band known as "Bad Radio", before Jack hooks him up with Jeff & Stone in Seattle....so now the kicker, last part of the story, and the most far fetched.....
    My brother, who is the same age as Eddie, said he met a girl in college (Northern Illinois University) who "CLAIMED" that she dated Eddie in High School
    Your story doesn't seem that far-fetched on the whole...i've heard somewhere too of a high school lost love that had a big impact on Eddie. But one part doesn't fit...he went to high school in San Diego rather than Chicago. He lived in Chicago before San Diego and also again for a while after dropping out of high school. But not during high school.

Here's a pic to prove this. San Dieguito is a river (i believe) that goes through San Diego so it stands to reason that a high school with that name would be in San Diego.

http://www.pearl-jam.com/pictures/evbw1/evhigirl.jpg

i've wondered if the girl in the pic is the one he dated. Jeez he seems so young! Even younger than he would actually be according to the date! :D
    "Dude...it's a hamburger on top of a rocket ship!"
  • Options
    oh yeah, that picture was in that Rolling Stone Issue....
  • Options
    oh yeah, that picture was in that Rolling Stone Issue....
    Uh oh. Which RS issue? Not the '96 one? it must be. Shit.

i've only read that article online and it didn't have the pictures.

Too bad such a nice photo appears in such an annoying article (assuming i'm right about what article it was).
  • Options
    yeah, actually that sounds about right, 96', but it could've been anywhere between 93'-96', it was titled PEARL JAM - A YEAR IN THE LIFE and it had all five of them on the cover, mostly sitting on a short ledge....now that I think about it, that 96' article you mentioned is more likely a different issue titled EDDIE VEDDER - PEARL JAM'S MYSTERY MAN in that article I don't think their was any new interview material wich would make more since, since 96' was way to late for interviews with the PJ members, so yeah, it had to be earlier, I bet 93', 94'
  • Options
    edeneden Posts: 407
    Well ,
    Whoever she was Ive never been able to fathom how a girl could hear Black and know it was about her ( most likely she was able to piece it together ) and not go running back to him , did that woman have no soul ?! * shakes head in disbelief *
  • Options
    yeah, actually that sounds about right, 96', but it could've been anywhere between 93'-96', it was titled PEARL JAM - A YEAR IN THE LIFE and it had all five of them on the cover, mostly sitting on a short ledge....now that I think about it, that 96' article you mentioned is more likely a different issue titled EDDIE VEDDER - PEARL JAM'S MYSTERY MAN in that article I don't think their was any new interview material wich would make more since, since 96' was way to late for interviews with the PJ members, so yeah, it had to be earlier, I bet 93', 94'
    Okay. Yeah. You're right. :)

That's good. it's such a cute picture!
  • Options
    What a CUTE pic......Ed in high school! Damn.....if I was only older! If he had wrote "Black" for me........I would go running.....no matter what happened!

I didn't know Ed is divorced! Gee, and I slow or what! Who would divorce that man! Brilliant, talented, and good looking! Isn't he remarried then?
    Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
    ~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • Options
    Originally posted by purple_chick79
    What a CUTE pic......Ed in high school! Damn.....if I was only older! If he had wrote "Black" for me........I would go running.....no matter what happened!

I didn't know Ed is divorced! Gee, and I slow or what! Who would divorce that man! Brilliant, talented, and good looking! Isn't he remarried then?
    No...and someone will probably shoot me for telling you this because it's a private life thing...but it's common knowlege on here so i don't think it's a bad thing to tell you. He has a girlfriend named Jill. And that's all i'll say on the subject because there are good reasons such topics are discouraged. :)

if you really want to know more them PM me.

And yes he is brillant and talented. Good-looking varies from pic to pic. :D
  • Options
    Black is one of my favorites... if not my favorite. That song is so beautiful and filled with passion, emotions, lyrical perfection, etc.

It's a masterpiece.
    Ha ha I've a custy
  • Options
    black has always struck me as the kind of song that you would love even if u weren't a pj fan, i mean if u sat and listened to the lyrics and took them in, you'd start to love it, and when doo-doo-do-do-do-do-doo comes in, the hairs on your neck will stand up (and get their lighters out lol), its only bettered itself live too, because mikes solo sounds so emotional its scary.
    btw, on latg i think mike actually looks a bit sad (upset sad, not sad sad) whilst he's soloing, brings a lump to my throat.
    ~If You Should Die Before Me, Ask If You Could Bring A Friend~
  • Options
    RoxyRoxy Posts: 3
    Well whoever the song was about, definitely was not aware of the true painting of Eddie's love.
    Roxy :)
  • Options
    CuriousCurious Posts: 732
    I'm not really interested in who this song was about for Eddie.

I know who it's about for me.
    "The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Einstein
  • Options
    RoxyRoxy Posts: 3
    oh really who;s it about for u?
    My ex and I loved this song. We were in our old apt. and he played this tune " I know someday u have a beautiful life..i know u'll be the star in somebody else's sky....why..why..can't it be..why can't it be..."

that was deep.
    Roxy :)
  • Options
    the masterpiece which is black means something to all of us i think, it was the first song that got me hooked on pearl jam and the end is soo beautiful i never get tired of hearing it, it almost gives me.....hope that i am not alone.
    the crimson sun, in the sky to hard to live to young to die, a mother cries blood at her feet, trying to live no more to give, he is dead and no one cries, but me.
  • Options
    Do you think anyone else could even do a good version of black.i think i heard of someone trying it but not sure who.
    Fuck me if i say somthing you dont want to hear,
    Fuck me if you only hear whats in your head.
    Fuck me if you can, coz im not leaving here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JesterTGame
    Do you think anyone else could even do a good version of black.i think i heard of someone trying it but not sure who.

I tried before. Was gonna play it at an open mic night at this club. I couldn't do it though. Some things had jsut happened in my life, and everytime we tried to practice it I got teary eyed and my voice would quiver. That song just means too much to me.
  • Options
    CuriousCurious Posts: 732
    Staind have a habit of covering Black live... and they don't do too bad a job really. I remember hearing that they'd been doing it and being horrified at the prospect, but it was a pleasant surprise to hear it. Obviously no match for PJ, but a pretty good effort at what must be a really daunting song to cover.
    "The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Einstein
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Curious
    I'm not really interested in who this song was about for Eddie.

I know who it's about for me.

Exactly. Ed put his heart & soul into this song (as did the rest of the band) and I can feel it every time I hear it. As artists/muscians, they put their thoughts, feelings and talent out there for themselves and for others, hoping some of us out here will at least understand, possibly relate to it. Well, I can relate...and damned if I can make it through this song without tearing up and breaking down over my (now) ex.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!