Options

Can anyone enlighten me on Porch?

duskdusk Posts: 18
I've only recently been introduced to PJ (and am already a huge fan) in the summer and the song that got me hooked is Porch. I've been told by friends it's about the subject of abortion, can anyone shed any more light?

I appreciate that this may have been discussed many times but I am quite new to the world of PJ.

One.
Kids - it won't make you blind and it won't stunt your growth! Go on, have a wank!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by dusk
    I've only recently been introduced to PJ (and am already a huge fan) in the summer and the song that got me hooked is Porch. I've been told by friends it's about the subject of abortion, can anyone shed any more light?

I appreciate that this may have been discussed many times but I am quite new to the world of PJ.

One.

Welcome...dusk.

The interpertation of Porch could be about abortion and it also could be about losing a love one (girl)..it's really up to you to interperate. I think it's about losing someone myself...
  • Options
    Many thanks

I thought that myself, but then I saw PJ unplugged and noticed Ed wrote 'Pro Choice' on his arm. I wondered if this was linked to the song or a general protest? Either way it kicks ass, i don't think I ever heard a song sang and played with so much passion!!

I don't think the MTV producers felt the same way as I noticed that Even flow was actually performed after porch and edited later. What forward thinking people MTV are?!
    Kids - it won't make you blind and it won't stunt your growth! Go on, have a wank!
  • Options
    WernyWerny Posts: 63
    It does sound alot like abortion know that you mention it.

I think it's him feeling bad about going to do it and then after it's done the girl leaves and he can't hack it.
    This puke stinks like beer, and everybody's here, so come on come on come on, let's lay waste to this Century...
  • Options
    Hello dusk, where abouts are u in Brum?
  • Options
    Ok, I just noticed this morning on Unplugged, then I saw your post and it all made sense to me! Here goes!

On Unplugged during the intermission/Improv, the guys are talking about whether or not they can say "Fuck"

If you listen carefully, this is what Ed is saying to one of the guys......you can't really here who he is talking to, so the following is what you can hear Ed say.....You have to listen carefully.....

"Gotta think of something to say besides fuck.... I think you can say fuck.....It's a free country.....Oh, I'm sorry, thats right, you almost probably can't get an abortion, so you wouldn't be able to say fuck"

Then, right into the microphone he says.....

"I just wanna say you should be able to have a FUCKING abortion...thats right!"

I think Porch was supposed to be the next song, but it was Jeremy instead.

FUCK MTV, what do they know anyway!

So, I am thinking Porch is about abortion, but I never made that connection till this morning!
    Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
    ~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • Options
    Many thanx guys.

'Sometimes' - originally from washwood heath but studying on the south coast at the moment.
  • Options
    You know i next to certain porch is about abortion because when PJ was on SNL for the Ten album, they played Porch and during the middle of the song Eddie yells out "I support a womans right to choose" and everybody cheers
  • Options
    Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    i dont see the link to abortion.. it sounds to me that the comment ed made at the mtv unplugged had nothing to do with porch, but that just me.. can anyone explain the link lyricwise to me?

this song was one of the first songs that got my attention.. i love this line: i know when i would not ever touch you...hold you...feel you...in my arms... never again...
    your light's reflected now
  • Options
    hey all.

this is only my opinion, but i have always felt porch was "abortion" related. just the way i hear it.

and i also read that ed got his girfriend pregnant when they were young and they chose to . . . . well you know. i assume this was a tough decision to make, both individually and to save the relationship. i think the song is about that . . . . but just my opinion . . . . carry on.
    Why are you reading this? Think about that.