Options

Which songs have helped you in hard times?

13»

Comments

• Options
    rybesrybes Posts: 136
    the honest answer would be all of them

but the one i keep going back to is black, any live version of this song just gives me the chills and totally immerses me, especially if i just got out of a relationship
  • Options
    erryerry Posts: 15
    I am mine
    given to fly
    alive
    present tense
    even flow

Those song give me energy to go on, cause live must go on....
    may we all stay most human and most alive
  • Options
    jodijodi Posts: 183
    this is cool...

mine are,

elderly woman.. it's helps me right now..
    thumping my way makes me think of a colleague who has cancer..
    indifference makes me feel good..
    cannot listen to black, last kiss or light years, to emotional.

last exit makes me dance! that's very cool..
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    songs that have always helped me:

Black - for the emotion in it
    All or none - just the all or none concept, relationships...
    Footsteps, Hard to imagine, Off he goes

great songs that soothe me...
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    sorry to take this topic back up, I'm currently going through a rough time and I've just made myself this cd and I think it really says the words I want to say. It contains those feelings that I couldn't bring to words.
    Anyway, here we go:

1. Oceans – MTV Unplugged ‘92
    2. State of Love and Trust – Utrecht ‘92
    3. Once – Utrecht ‘92
    4. Thumbing my way – Little Rock ‘03
    5. Nothingman – MSG 2 ‘03
    6. Light years – St. Jones Beach 2 ‘00
    7. Rearviewmirror – St. Jones Beach 3 ‘00
    8. Parting ways – Boston 3 (Unplugged) ‘03
    9. Black – MTV Unplugged ‘92
    10. Long Road – Bridge School Benefit ‘01
    11. In my tree – MSG 1 ‘03
    12. Down – Lost Dogs (studio) ‘03
    13. Porch – Los Angeles ‘92
    14. Yellow Ledbetter – MSG 1 ‘03

I coulda put Lowlight, In Hiding, Wishlist, Faithful, All those yesterdays, MFC, ... on it, since I'm a big Yield-fan, but I decided not to touch that album, leave it as one piece of art. :)

The funny thing is, I've listened to it quite a few times now, and for me, the order suits me very well.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    The Long Road - it reminds me that life is a marathon, not a sprint. It keeps me grounded during the bumps in life.
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Options
    The Long Road - it reminds me that life is a marathon, not a sprint. It keeps me grounded during the bumps in life.

-nice

lowlight
    the long road
    wishlist
    present tense
    down
    given to fly

pj songs remind me of indian prayer music for western folks
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    "Spin me around. Roll me over. Fuckiiiing circuuuus!"

OH, that's too great! Blood has helped me out in tough times.

To me it means that if times get rough they won't do nothin to me cause I've been through worst.

SO BRING IT ON!
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    On long roadtrips to sydney (bout 10 hours drive) my sis and i used to listed to PJ all the way there and back. not much was said between us but the song words sung aloud were conversation enough.
    RVM & Indifference are definately up there as the songs that give me the kick in the ass that i need to keep going.
  • Options
    ~~~~why go~~~release~~~~once~~~~footsteps~~~RVM~~~not for you~~immortality~~~black~~~jeremy~~~dissident~~~daughter~~~~sometimes~~~~red mosquito~~~~in hiding~~~low light~~~tremor christ~~~~let's just say all PJ songs cause i can't think of one that didnt help me thru ..not one..yes,even Rats(don't ask)this isn't comedy hour,and may i add this Pearl Jam message pit is awesome .when i can't sleep I know this is here and i love to read what is on here.when i was in Seattle i had no idea how to add anything to it..
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • Options
    huntjhuntj Posts: 24
    What about thumbing my way. read the lyrics as ed's singing it.
    release: my father is trying to make up for past time from when he was a drunk.
    LBC: no matter what mood i'm in this song will lift your spirits no matter what, i think.
    my head is clouded by pj songs i don't know what else to choose.
    PORCH: so intense, 2003 PEPSI arena, great version of this song.
    Hail Hail the lucky ones
    Why Go
    Indiferance: Such a bueatifully easing song.
    Present Tense: so true.
    save you: Great song to play for someone you care very much about.
    so many others that i can't go on.

Don't forget, "It's easy to grin
    when your ship comes in
    you've got the stock market beet.
    A man worth while
    is a man who can smile,
    when his shorts aren't to tight in the seat.
    Ted Knight, Cadyshack
    Don't be so quick to judge, you're being judged yourself.
  • Options
    i'd have to say just about every single PJ song
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • Options
    I seem to have this ability to relate songs to bits of my life, and Pearl Jam's no exception.
    Okay, little back story here. Two years ago, I had my first girlfriend. She was a few years younger than I, but I figure chronological age isn't as important as maturity (boy, was I blind/deluded when it came to her maturity...). I met her on a camp with my Christian youth group, the story of which is quite a tale in itself, but has no real bearing on this missive.
    Anyway, about six months into the relationship, she started acting weird. I could tell something was up, but she wouldn't tell me what. Finally, I got it out of her - she'd cheated on me. Not just with any guy, but with her mum's de facto's son - essentially her step-brother.
    Now, that's pretty bad for anyone, but for a Christian (we try to hold ourselves above such things), it was even worse. She didn't know how she felt about me any more. I was pretty devastated. I spent the entire weekend in the deepest depression I've ever been in, and I've been in some doozies.
    Eventually, we sorted it out, and I thought things were all good again. But it was not so. About three months after the cheating episode, she decided she didn't care about me any more, and gave me the flick.
    Now, here's where PJ comes in. 'Black' seems to sum up so well how I felt after I found out she'd cheated on me. Almost every single word in there speaks to me. To this day, it's my favourite song.
    Retroactively, 'Broken-Hearted' (I know this is a Vedder solo thing, but it still counts, in my opinion) describes my emotional state, post-break-up.
    Now, I have a new girlfriend who is so much better, it's like comparing Britney Spears to...well, Pearl Jam (BS being the ex, PJ being the current). 'Love Boat Captain' - which, incidentally, she likes - is like my prayer for our relationship. Could be a great wedding song one day...
    Well, that's my story. Sorry if it's too long, but there's a lot of explaining to do.
    "I don't know what to say, so I'm just gonna say, 'I am a donut'."--Eddie Vedder.
  • Options
    kad39kad39 Posts: 14
    Definitly...

Release (above all my fav song)
    RVM ( I can't turn this song up loud enough... )
    things were different then
    all is different now
    I've tried to explain
    somehow
  • Options
    duskdusk Posts: 18
    There are loads that I can relate to but the ones that really move me are: -

- Black (goes without saying!)
    - Even Flow (the song that got me into PJ in the first place)
    - Jeremy (As a teacher, I've witnessed similiar kids)
    - Small Town
    - Betterman (love of my life with wrong person etc.)
    Kids - it won't make you blind and it won't stunt your growth! Go on, have a wank!
  • Options
    I just registered about 5 minutes ago so obviously this is my first ever post. I was reading this thread and just had to get in on it. It was hard to think of a song that hadn't been mentioned yet because so many great songs have been suggested. I don't know if anyone else has said it but Not For You has got to be near the top of my personel list.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Islander1680
    I just registered about 5 minutes ago so obviously this is my first ever post. I was reading this thread and just had to get in on it. It was hard to think of a song that hadn't been mentioned yet because so many great songs have been suggested. I don't know if anyone else has said it but Not For You has got to be near the top of my personel list.

Hey welcome to the board!

Yes Not For You is a great song! I hope you enjoy the board there is tons of cool people out there....
  • Options
    in eds treein eds tree Denver Posts: 539
    Originally posted by brother123
    Hey welcome to the board!

Yes Not For You is a great song! I hope you enjoy the board there is tons of cool people out there....

i still remember ... WHY DON'T YOU
    keep on rockin' in the free world.
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I'm having a really horrible week and I have been watching and listening to Pearl Jam non-stop. It seems to work well at distracting me from the grief I am feeling. We just lost two really incrediable people in our town in two separate car accidents on Sunday night. One was a 3rd grade teacher who was also 7 months pregnant and left behind a three year old and a husband. The other was an amazing 23 year old guy who was living life to the fullest. His Aunt decribes him as an angel. There were over 1000 people at his wake. I just keep thinking about hugging his family and just taking in their saddness-all day I kept crying thinking about seeing his parents, twin sister and brother just looking at him,how final it all is. Don't let a day go by being angry with anyone......you don't know when its going to be over. Love to everyone-and I know for sure-Listening to music helps you to feel better.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    PJaddicted - i feel ya, i am going through a similar thing..... a 20yr old friend i went to HS with, suddenly got sick at his college, went into a 10wk coma and passed away last week - he had 2 younger sisters, and a younger brother that he lived with a school - a very nice catholic family - he didnt do drugs, and the hospital still doenst know what caused the coma, and his organs to quit.... anyway, i have been listening to anything pearl jam.... and not just pearl jam, some lynard skynard (free byrd) tuesdays gone.... songs like that... they help bring out the tears... and i totally agree with not letting a day go by being angry at anyone....
    *~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~*
    Welcome to the world Lucy Michelle!!! 8/11/06 - 4:05pm
    *~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~*

~> Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
  • Options
    AliveAlive Posts: 2
    I'm not socially intelligent. I have always been an outsider. Because of that, I have feelings of alienation, loneliness, depression, suicide, and angst. To cope with such feelings, I have adopted a Christian life-style; not just for the feelings it occasionally provides me, but because I believe it’s true. Anyway, subsequent to my ‘conversion’, I’ve repeatedly failed to live up to the standard that my life-style demands. This has given me feelings of being a failure, but also a hope to look to the glorious future that awaits me if I persevere. Being a Christian hasn’t cured all of my troubles, but it has made the ones I struggle with clearer. I’m the kind of person who desires what seems unattainable. I desire inward tranquility, social acceptance, a high self-esteem, outer beauty, spiritual endurance, character formation, and to have a relationship with the one who knows me better than I know myself. The closest I’ve come to actual freedom is while being immersed in the hypnotic music of Pearl Jam. The anger I experience as a social outcast is perfectly enunciated through the songs of Pearl Jam. Finally, here are 3 songs that have assisted me in coping with my, still young, existence.

Release- I know this song is on the topic of Eddie’s father, but I also know that one’s own interpretation is of equal, if not of more, importance. When I substitute God in for Father, this song eerily captured the exact feelings I was experiencing, and still continue to experience. It seems an invisible barrier of failure and low self-esteem has burdened me for most of my late-teen life. The cry for a release from the actual abyss of my soul epitomized my desire for heaven.

Leash- Being a social follower most of my life, I became imprisoned within the constraints of my own voluntary submission to the leaders I willed to follow. Whether it be my friends, my parents, or how I thought others thought of me, it was a castigating leash prohibiting the liberty desired to be who I am: to be me. “DROP THE LEASH! GET OUT OF MY FUCKING FACE! WE ARE YOUNG!” The high-pitched roar of the final guitar solo takes my spirit to a place unknown in this world; a place where my heart aches to be a citizen. I feel like I can relate to so many people’s struggles and yet I’m unable to enlighten such people of my desire to relate to them. I feel like I just scream, “TAKE . . . MY FUCKIN HAND!” It’ll be ok in the end. “We’ll find a home. A home within myself. We will find a way. We will find our place!”

Given to Fly- If any song so encapsulated my life-story up until now, it would be this one. I could have changed my life by one simple decision of the will: will not to care what others think of you. But I tuned out. Nothing on this earth could save me. I looked everywhere for meaning and found nothing but depressing futility. The doors leading to various self-help answers on life’s questions could not be opened; my heart or mind could not honestly accept their sophistry. I escaped to an ocean; a peaceful place reserved for quiet contemplation. I had a smoke in a tree by getting nervously acquainted with what I thought was another dead-end. Unexpectedly, the profound wisdom humbled my frail countenance as it set me down on my knee. A tidal wave of conviction stuck me like a fist to the jaw. I was given truth; a truth that set me free; a truth that delivered me wings; a truth that led me out of Plato’s cave; a truth that enabled me to FLY! Who do I tell? How do I tell them? I saw everyone shacked to their illusions in ignorance of their predicament. I want to tell them of this key I found. It works! But, I’m persecuted. I’m emotionally stabbed. But I press on. I still stand! I will choose to love those who persecute me, because I know that the love received from Christ is surely SAVED! And from this, my reward shall await me; the reward of being with Him. If you look closely; past all the images of what is cool and acceptable on today’s terms; past the outer-shell of human appearances, which make their gradual and inevitable trek toward extinction; into the immaterial aspect of our being, which defines who we really are in accordance with the status of our soul; you might see a human being who was given to fly!
  • Options
    in eds treein eds tree Denver Posts: 539
    well said, alive, i feel ya. especially your interpretation of given to fly, mine is eerily similar.
    keep on rockin' in the free world.
  • Options
    I know I started this thread about a month or so ago...but I had to add to it.....

I got Unplugged for Christmas.....

Black version on Unplugged...... "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star, in somebody elses sky, but why, why, why can't it be, a-can't it be mine. I don't.....I don't think these people understand, Oh they don't understand....no one understands.....we, we belong.........we belong together" That one gets me everytime.

State of Love and Trust......" Lay her down, as priest does..should the lord be a-counting" This one hasn't really helped me, I just thought it was kinda cool, with all the priest stuff going on now.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
    ~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • Options
    MartMart Posts: 4
    Footsteps
    Black
    Long Road
    Every time i feel like crap i put on Keep on rocking in the free world from touring band 2002.

Just but a few!