Options

Which songs have helped you in hard times?

This may have been done before, I am not sure, but I am sitting here listening to PJ and talking with my brother (who is brother123 BTW) and we are talking about this and that, you know, crappy stuff in our lives. I have 4 songs that have helped me through some crap.

Better Man, Nothingman, and Footsteps. All about my ex, after 6 years, just decided one day he wasn't speaking to me anymore.

Daughter. About my mother. We don't speak. This song touches my heart. It says it all.

It is strange, especailly with Daughter, how well those songs fit. How did he know?
Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    These songs that have helped me through a lot of tough times. They also helped with all the shit I was and still dealing with.

Release
    Indifferance
    Footsteps
    Alive
    Sometimes
    Long Road
    I Got Shit
    Blood
    Why Go (substitute the girl with a boy)

Just all the Pearl Jam songs have really helped me. It's really awesome that I and the rest of us can relate to these songs. It's really cool that we can vent listening to these songs. Thanks Pearl Jam, thanks a lot.
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    i got shit
    long road
    strangest tribe
    sometimes
    dead man
    arc
    love boat captain
    i am mine
    in hiding
    parting ways
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Cool thread! :)

Yeah, there are the songs that have always spoke to me right from the start, and then there are the ones that came to me after a certain fucked up point in my life and spoke to me in totally different ways, took on totally different meanings and significance....helped in major ways. I love that!

*LIGHT YEARS is #1! This song has really saved me. I swear when you loose a loved one in whatever way, this song will make you remember them with a smile. It's so powerful. It definitely has a super special place in heart.

Other songs that mean a lot and/or have helped me a lot .....

* Black
    * Nothingman
    * Release
    * In Hiding
    * Present Tense
    * All Or None
    * Given To Fly
    * Parting Ways
    * Sleight Of Hand
    * Other Side

Really, what great medicine/therapy.

THANK YOU PJ! :)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    RayneRayne Posts: 99
    Cool...this is why I came on this sight, to say exactly this. I just spent an hour in my car with nothing but PJ playing. In the first few minutes there was nothing but uncontrollable sobbing. By the end of two cd's I could relax and breath. I just had this overwhelming urge to thank the gods for Pearl Jam...so here I am. Specifically...

*Black
    *Nothingman
    *Release
    *All or None
    *I Am Mine
    *Love Boat Captain

Yes, I know these have all been mentioned already...but, they're certainly worthy of repeating. ....all you need is love.
    Underneath this smile lies everything...How I choose to feel, is how I AM!
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a spring time ahead.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    Black
    In my Tree
    Nothingman

the whole Yield album, really
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Originally posted by Angus

the whole Yield album, really

OK I definitely hear ya on that!

Add that to my list too. ;)

That album continues to save me everytime I hear it. It's beautiful! :D

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    Originally posted by VEDHEAD27
    Cool thread! :)

Yeah, there are the songs that have always spoke to me right from the start, and then there are the ones that came to me after a certain fucked up point in my life and spoke to me in totally different ways, took on totally different meanings and significance....helped in major ways. I love that!

*LIGHT YEARS is #1! This song has really saved me. I swear when you loose a loved one in whatever way, this song will make you remember them with a smile. It's so powerful. It definitely has a super special place in heart.

Other songs that mean a lot and/or have helped me a lot .....

* Black
    * Nothingman
    * Release
    * In Hiding
    * Present Tense
    * All Or None
    * Given To Fly
    * Parting Ways
    * Sleight Of Hand
    * Other Side

Really, what great medicine/therapy.

THANK YOU PJ! :)

Good list Lydia!! Many songs have helped me through hard times, some because i can directly relate to them and others just because they've helped me forget about any problems, even if only for a few minutes! PJ, along with my friends, saves me every day!

Black
    Release
    Nothingman
    Do The Evolution
    Alive
    Given to Fly
    In Hiding
    Grievance
    Sad
    Dead Man
    Porch
    Go
    Rearviewmirror
    Indifference
    Sleight of Hand
    Smile
    Off He Goes
    Present Tense
    Low Light
    Love Boat Captain
    All or None

Shit, every fuckin' song helps me! I love PJ sooooo much!!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    Originally posted by Rayne
    Cool...this is why I came on this sight, to say exactly this. I just spent an hour in my car with nothing but PJ playing. In the first few minutes there was nothing but uncontrollable sobbing. By the end of two cd's I could relax and breath. I just had this overwhelming urge to thank the gods for Pearl Jam...so here I am. Specifically...

*Black
    *Nothingman
    *Release
    *All or None
    *I Am Mine
    *Love Boat Captain

Yes, I know these have all been mentioned already...but, they're certainly worthy of repeating. ....all you need is love.

Sure they have been said before but that's why the thread got started. People can post what Pearl Jam has really ment to them. Indeed this is a cool thread, I was kinda shy about posting here but hey, were all friends in here so it's all good. Nice choices by the way. I think it's really cool that Pearl Jam started this thing..I guess it's one more thing to thank them for, but that's cool they have given us all so much.
  • Options
    light years helped me alot, used to be my release when things got too emotional when my granddad died, helped me to cry which is what i needed to do. lots of stuff changed when he died, and its still tough because of the stuff that changed, but yeah that song means alot.
  • Options
    cool thread... is nice to know we've all got some kindred spirits, huh? :)

Obviously 'Pearl Jam means a lot to a lot of people...'

One of the principle reasons - for me - that PJ stands head and shoulders above, is their ability to touch my very soul with their songs... i was 16 when Ten was released, and i feel like i have evolved with the group to the point where Riot Act means just as much to me as the first album....

Each record has accompanied my life for... 13 years is it?!

Like most people, i've been through my fair share of shit in this time... during which PJ have been a constant in my life, during the good times and the bad.

the songs which have helped me through those dark old days...
    black
    i've got shit
    nothingman
    porch
    RVM
    tremor christ
    hail, hail
    present tense
    in my tree
    long road

...and not to forget the good times!
    thin air
    around the bend
    of the girl
    oceans
    given to fly
    in hiding
    you are
    save you

And since Lost Dogs... have been bitten by Education - can't stop listening to it.

Good ol' PJ... just can't seem to shake the fuckers off! :D
    I get the words and then I get to thinking.
    I don't want to think, I want to feel...
  • Options
    Black
    Betterman
    Jeremey
    Long Road
    If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?

MSU Class of '10
    James Madison School of International Relations
  • Options
    Corduroy-Just helped me tune out during a really tough time.

And get this 'state of love and trust'...just makes me feel like, "yup, gettin burned sux, and I know someone else feels/felt this way"...just something to relate to is all...
    9/26/96, 10/2/96, 9/13/98, 9/15/98, 9/16/98, 8/29/00, 8/30/00, 7/2/03, 7/3/03, 7/11/03, 9/28/04, 9/24/04, 9/15/05, 5/13/06, 5/24/06, 5/25/06

"Get the words, and then I get to thinkin'
    I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"
  • Options
    *Leash
    * I am mine
    *Wishlist
    *Indifference
    * Go
    Saw things so much clearer...
  • Options
    in eds treein eds tree Denver Posts: 539
    Oh, man....I could go on and on about what these songs all mean to me. When my boyfriend (not together anymore) was gone for a month, he came back and told me he was glad that I had "Eddie and the boys" to keep me company while he was gone. I told him then "They've been there for me through a lot worse times before I knew you, and I'm sure they'll be there for me for a many more shitty times after you've gone". How prophetic, hahaha. Anyway.... any given PJ song has given me "meaning" at one time or another, but here are the tops...

Rearviewmirror
    Black
    In My Tree
    Smile
    Off He Goes
    Indifference
    Save You
    Can't Keep
    Ghost
    Dissident
    Given To Fly
    In Hiding
    HAHAHAHA like i said...i could go on forever...
    keep on rockin' in the free world.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Indifference... it's such an outlet...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    "Present Tense".
  • Options
    "Why Go?"....Fucking describes my teen years to a "T"

"Given to Fly"
    .... for my son I gave up for adoption at birth, by choice. (I was 19)
    I burst, out
    I'm transformed!
  • Options
    I love a story in a song,
    Black
    Tremor Christ
    Love Boat Captain
  • Options
    my lips are shaking, my nails are bit off
    been a month since i heard myself talk
    all the advantage this life's got on me
    picture a cup in the middle of the sea

and i fight back in my mind...
    em ot sselecirp si y c a v i r p
  • Options
    DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
  • Options
    i forgeti forget Posts: 281
    The Pearl Jam songs that have helped me the most are
    Off He Goes, Indifference, No Way, State Of Love And Trust,
    and Light Years. Their music speaks to me on so many levels, and I'm thankful for PJ's generosity.
  • Options
    GreyRedGirlGreyRedGirl Comber, Ontario Posts: 35
    I suppose the bad times have been the most prominent in my life lately.... I care for a fella very much but he doesn't care for me. And there's a guy I know that loves me very much but I feel guilt being with him cuz I'm always thinking of the other fella. Conventional songs like Nothingman and Black really hit home with me then.

On my better days, when I have a clear head and I can appreciate what I have, Thin Air and You Are are tremendous songs that help me along. ^_^
  • Options
    Thumbing My Way
    In Hiding
    Long Road
    Given To Fly

I'm sure there are others, but many times anything Pearl Jam will do. Eddie's voice is such a comfort to me that it helps me through all things.
  • Options
    To tell you the truth in final year of school, just listening to Pearl Jam go through it. Indifference and nothingman, then theres Alive, Jeremy, they all help in some way.
    If you make a mistake in a song, make that same mistake next time around and people will think your jamming. DG

• Options
    Alive
    Oceans
    Garden
    Animal
    RVM
    Small town
    Leesh
    Last Exit
    Corduroy
    Satans Bed
    Immortality
    In my tree
    Red mosquito
    Present tense
    Mankind
    I'm open
    No way
    Given to fly
    In hiding
    Push me pull me
    All those yesterdays
    Breakerfall
    Evacuation
    Rival
    Soon forget
    Can't keep
    Save you
    Crop duster
    Ghost
    I am mine
    Thumbing my way
    Green disease
    1/2 full
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    welcome coming back to life, i see you are our newest member :D

wow, good list...i love the fact that PJ songs just seem to be relevant to so many people.
  • Options
    all of these songs have helped me through hard times. they have been a large part of my life's soundtrack. they have also added meaning to some great times.
  • Options
    There's a song of Pearl, which one every time i hear i feel better, if i'm sad i get happy, if i'm angry i get cool! this song is better man! It's perfect, i love it!
    Pearl thank u for everything!
    PLEASE COME TO BRAZIL!!! I DON'T HAVE MONEY TO SEE YOU IN ANOTHER COUNTRY!!! PLEASE COME HERE!!!
    BRAZIL LOVES YOU PEARL! me too!!!!!
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star... In somebody's else sky...but why? why? why? can't it be... why can't it be in mine?
  • Options
    little_wishlittle_wish England, The North Posts: 532
    I'm stickin with the whole album of Yield. It's been said before but it's such a relaxing album. I just find it really easy to listen to and really comforting. I know this will probably sound strange but I feel really safe when I'm listening to Yield.
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
  • Options
    Great Thread

#1 Yellow Ledbetter without a doubt. I have my own interpretation of the lyrics and totally relate it to getting dumped and then being replaced and that really gets to me, love it.

All or None
    In Hiding (Really pulls u out of the blues, or can drag u back in, depends if ur listneing to the lyrics or the music)
    Release
    W.M.A
    Lukin (vent some aggression)
    Betterman
    In My Tree
    Given to Fly

And Alice and Brother physce me up to Surf, though thats not really getting througha tough time;)

Also, I know its not PJ strictly, but Say Hello to Heaven has been really good, I love that song
    ‘‘If somebody said to me, in twelve years you’ll be in a band with your brother and two carrot munching geezers who don’t like football I would have said fuck off, I’m not joining the Bee Gees.’’

Noel Gallagher