Options

I got id

schnitzschnitz Posts: 4
What does everyone think this is about? I think this is about a man who never got the love of his life.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    to me I Got Id is an introspective song about a person who is struggling to remain psychologically stable...what's amazing and powerful about the song is that it captures the tragedy of a person who knows he is struggling, but cannot do anything about it. this song is so deep it's not even funny. i love how it begins and ends with the same line...which imparts a sense of hopelessness and accurately portrays the cyclical nature of his condition...he can describe his psychopathologies, but he is unable to affect a change in himself to overcome his struggle and strengthen his fragile psyche.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Youre right DS, its VERY deep. Its like you're singing along just getting into the groove but then when u take time to realize WHAT you are singing~ its deeper than you know!!! I love it. I dont think i can define EXXXACTLY what it means becuz its like each verse kinda has its own meaning. Just my opinion.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    STXLAXSTXLAX Posts: 46
    REGRET!!!!!!
    Kindof a prelude to present tense
    "And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Nietzsche

EMPATHY
  • Options
    DitkaDitka Posts: 7
    This is one of my favorite PJ songs. When I first heard it (and didn't have access to the lyrics) it sounded like such a great love song, the kind where you hold hands and count your blessings type of thing; it is very deceptive in that way. Then as I started hearing lines I first noticed the last one- "never held you in real life" which I thought how cool that this seems like a happy love song when in fact he is confessing that he never loved her the as much as she loved him. Then LATER when I saw all of the lyrics then it changed meaning for me again. What I like is that this song remains versatile in the way I want to feel- sappy in love, regretful or a nervous wreck.
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    Ditka wrote:
    This is one of my favorite PJ songs. When I first heard it (and didn't have access to the lyrics) it sounded like such a great love song, the kind where you hold hands and count your blessings type of thing; it is very deceptive in that way. Then as I started hearing lines I first noticed the last one- "never held you in real life" which I thought how cool that this seems like a happy love song when in fact he is confessing that he never loved her the as much as she loved him. Then LATER when I saw all of the lyrics then it changed meaning for me again. What I like is that this song remains versatile in the way I want to feel- sappy in love, regretful or a nervous wreck.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I love this song, it has a special meaning to me, and I just feel different when I'm listening to it... It's the bitter-sweet feeling that makes me smile and cry in the same time. And I usually do the same thing. It really is an amazing song, my all time favorite, and a PJ classic.
    Gotta go now, my lips are shakin' and my nails are bit off, :) This tour news/plans is driving me insane :)
    Rock on!
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    I really love the song and I'm pretty sure I understand how it is to know you're unstable and want to become stable once again.
    I always thought it was named I Got Shit though... Thats how its named on all my CDs...
  • Options
    Anna_falkAnna_falk Posts: 114
    One of my first favourites too, a great lovesong, the feelings the song brings to me is feelings of longing and insecurness, it's very romantic but sad at the same time.

I got memories I got shit
    To worry about tomorrow doesn't make it easier,
    it only makes today worse.
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I like it how everyone comes up w/their own interpretations...it does give an insight on how, we, the fans, think. :D

This song has helped me through my break-ups. When Eddie sings, 'never held you in real life' it just feels like your whole world is crashing around you. Having something that you once had, and you can't have no more. That is the sad reality of this song. Even though it sounds harsh, it is so true.

To me this song has a lot of significance, you can look at the memories you share w/this person, but then you realize you don't have that person in your life anymore and you can't part w/that. Your memories is what is making you feel worse. That is how I translate it.

Let us reflect on the lyrics to this song...and props for schnitz for starting this GREAT discussion:)

my lips are shakin' my nails are bit off
    been a month since i've heard myself talk
    all the advantage this life's got on me
    picture a cup in the middle of the sea
    and i fight back in my mind
    never lets me be right
    i got memories i got shit
    so much it don't show
    oh i walked the line when you held me in that night
    i walked the line when you held my hand that night
    an empty shells seem so easy to crack
    got all these questions don't know who i could even ask
    so i'll just lie alone and wait for the dream
    where i'm not ugly and your lookin' at me
    and i stare you back
    oh blue eyes, i've seen it
    if just once i could feel love
    oh stare back at me, yeah..
    but i walked the line when you held me in that night
    oh i walked the line when you held my hand that night
    oh i walked the line when you held me close that night
    i paid the price never held you in real life
    my lips are shakin'
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    WillWill Posts: 41
    This song got me through a very tough patch with my girlfriend. It's really difficult to explain. I kinda felt this guy, it made me push on through the bad spell.

These lines;
    "And I fight back in my mind
    Never lets me be right
    I got memories, I got shit
    So much it don't show"
    ... seemed to fit my situation so well.

I think that from 'I got memories, I got shit / So much it don't show', we're made to feel that noone was on his side, nobody understood his feelings. He want's to be brave and keep it all to himself. But he's secretly crying out for someone to take notice.
    ... still Alive...
  • Options
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    I like it how everyone comes up w/their own interpretations...it does give an insight on how, we, the fans, think. :D

This song has helped me through my break-ups. When Eddie sings, 'never held you in real life' it just feels like your whole world is crashing around you. Having something that you once had, and you can't have no more. That is the sad reality of this song. Even though it sounds harsh, it is so true.

To me this song has a lot of significance, you can look at the memories you share w/this person, but then you realize you don't have that person in your life anymore and you can't part w/that. Your memories is what is making you feel worse. That is how I translate it.

Let us reflect on the lyrics to this song...and props for schnitz for starting this GREAT discussion:)

my lips are shakin' my nails are bit off
    been a month since i've heard myself talk
    all the advantage this life's got on me
    picture a cup in the middle of the sea
    and i fight back in my mind
    never lets me be right
    i got memories i got shit
    so much it don't show
    oh i walked the line when you held me in that night
    i walked the line when you held my hand that night
    an empty shells seem so easy to crack
    got all these questions don't know who i could even ask
    so i'll just lie alone and wait for the dream
    where i'm not ugly and your lookin' at me
    and i stare you back
    oh blue eyes, i've seen it
    if just once i could feel love
    oh stare back at me, yeah..
    but i walked the line when you held me in that night
    oh i walked the line when you held my hand that night
    oh i walked the line when you held me close that night
    i paid the price never held you in real life
    my lips are shakin'

MD, i don't really know you...but I like your style. i remember our little posts about 'echoes'...that was some time ago.

ds
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    DarkStar wrote:
    MD, i don't really know you...but I like your style. i remember our little posts about 'echoes'...that was some time ago.

ds

And I have to say, I also like your style:) yeah that was a while back, but nice to see you again. :D
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    mandalinamandalina Posts: 73
    so I'll just lie alone and wait for the dream
    where I'm not ugly and you're looking at me...
    and I stare you back
    oh blue eyes, I've seen it
    if just once, I could feel love
    stare back at me...

Oh my, those lines just slay me every time...they seriously give me chills. One of my favourite Pearl Jam songs of all time.

I agree with all of you guys on the interpretation of the song....love, regret....lord, I could go on forever about the genius of this song.
  • Options
    Astral StarAstral Star Posts: 129
    and I stare you back
    stare back at me...

I think it's about meeting someone in your dreams and wishing it was happening in your waking life. Maybe someone you know is real but haven't met yet in "real llife". Kind of like astral projection.
    "If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to eachother." Mother Theresa
  • Options
    this song is so fucking lyrically brilliant its beyond the scope of my mind.
    And after all this, won't you give me a smile?
  • Options
    I think this song is all about a guy that wants a girl but never asks her out. He just dreams of her. He tells himself he has memories but in all reality he knows he does not. He feels ugly and lacking in confidence. He never took the chance.
    9/28/2004 9/29/2004 10/1/2004 9/13/2005 9/15/2005 9/16/2005 9/19/2005 9/20/2005 5/12/2006 5/13/2006 5/24/2006 5/25/2006 5/27/2006 5/28/2006 6/1/2006 6/3/2006 6/16/2008 6/19/2008 6/20/2008 6/24/2008 6/25/2008 6/27/2008 6/30/2008 8/7/2008
  • Options
    this song is so fucking lyrically brilliant its beyond the scope of my mind.

yeah...you're right...seems to me that it would take a feat of the mind as equally brilliant to be able to put words to the meaning of this song...cheers!

ds
  • Options
    kikigirlkikigirl Posts: 17
    I really love this song-In concert in some of the 2000-shows-Ed changes the line before-"I paid the price, never held you in real life" I can't make out what he is saying-I think it sounds like something to do with "a voew"
    Does anyone know what I mean?
    are we going to the same place? if so, can i come?
  • Options
    MABMAB Posts: 17
    ok I think I finally got it.... It's about a guy that can't love himself because he hasn't gotten love from anyone else... "I'll just lie down and wait for the dream where I'm not ugly and your looking at me." that line connects with "And if once i could be loved, I'd stare back at me" He can't love himself because no one loves him... wow, what a beautiful song
    North is to South what the clock is to time
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    The first time i reeeaallyy sat down and read the lyrics while listening to the song playing i cried. It really hit home. Ive actually never told anyone that before... oh well none of you know me.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    Rock_Princess_18Rock_Princess_18 Chicago, IL Posts: 304
    i feel really dumb asking this but.. wut cd can u find I Got ID on?
    "All the things that others want for me.. can't buy what I want because it's free!"

9/13/2005 Hamilton, ON; 9/19/2005 Toronto, ON; 5/10/2006 Toronto, ON; 6/23/2006 Pittsburgh, PA; 8/5/2007 Chicago, IL; 6/24/2008 New York, NY; 6/25/2008 New York, NY; 8/21/2009 Toronto, ON; 8/23/2009 Chicago, IL; 8/24/2009 Chicago, IL; 5/9/2010 Cleveland, OH; 5/10/2010 Buffalo, NY; 5/20/2010 New York, NY; 5/21/2010 New York, NY; 9/3/2011 Alpine Valley, WI; 9/4/2011 Alpine Valley, WI; 9/11/2011 Toronto, ON; 9/12/2011 Toronto, ON; 9/15/2011 Hamilton, ON; 9/2/2012 Philadelphia, PA; 10/12/2013 Buffalo, NY; 10/18/2013 Brooklyn, NY; 10/19/2013 Brooklyn, NY; 10/17/2014 Moline, IL; 10/20/2014 Milwaukee, WI; 4/18/2016 Hampton, VA; 4/21/2016 Columbia, SC; 5/1/2016 New York, NY; 5/2/2016 New York, NY; 8/20/2016 Chicago, IL; 8/22/2016 Chicago, IL
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I think this song is all about a guy that wants a girl but never asks her out. He just dreams of her. He tells himself he has memories but in all reality he knows he does not. He feels ugly and lacking in confidence. He never took the chance.

this is close to what I was thinking, it's about someone being infactuated with a girl/guy whatever, but never acting on it. I think when he says "oh i walked the line when you held me in that night
    i walked the line when you held my hand that night " he is talking about a dream or at least a daydream about being with this person (who hasn't been there?) and that kind of ties into the line about waiting for teh dream "where I'm not ugly and you're looking at me...
    and I stare you back
    stare back at me..."
    it's about having that daydream(or real dream) come true where he has the girl/guy/whatever. Although I think 12345against1 is wrong (in my take at least everyone is obvisouly entitled to thier own) about the guy being ugly I think that's just his own lacking self confidence more then anything (again something I'm famaliar with). Please if you have thoughts share them here or PM me I want to know how close I am.

by the way it's off the Merkin Ball E.P. or many live discs and I think Rearviewmirror.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    i feel really dumb asking this but.. wut cd can u find I Got ID on?
    It's on the Greatest Hits-Rearviewmirror. It has never been on an album, it's a track from the Merkinball single the band recorded in 95 when they were touring with Neil Young. The single had two songs: I got ID and Long Road. Both amazing tracks imho :)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    Rock_Princess_18Rock_Princess_18 Chicago, IL Posts: 304
    thanks... ive been meaning to buy RVM but havent gotten around to it... now ill definitly have to go get it soon
    "All the things that others want for me.. can't buy what I want because it's free!"

9/13/2005 Hamilton, ON; 9/19/2005 Toronto, ON; 5/10/2006 Toronto, ON; 6/23/2006 Pittsburgh, PA; 8/5/2007 Chicago, IL; 6/24/2008 New York, NY; 6/25/2008 New York, NY; 8/21/2009 Toronto, ON; 8/23/2009 Chicago, IL; 8/24/2009 Chicago, IL; 5/9/2010 Cleveland, OH; 5/10/2010 Buffalo, NY; 5/20/2010 New York, NY; 5/21/2010 New York, NY; 9/3/2011 Alpine Valley, WI; 9/4/2011 Alpine Valley, WI; 9/11/2011 Toronto, ON; 9/12/2011 Toronto, ON; 9/15/2011 Hamilton, ON; 9/2/2012 Philadelphia, PA; 10/12/2013 Buffalo, NY; 10/18/2013 Brooklyn, NY; 10/19/2013 Brooklyn, NY; 10/17/2014 Moline, IL; 10/20/2014 Milwaukee, WI; 4/18/2016 Hampton, VA; 4/21/2016 Columbia, SC; 5/1/2016 New York, NY; 5/2/2016 New York, NY; 8/20/2016 Chicago, IL; 8/22/2016 Chicago, IL
  • Options
    kikigirlkikigirl Posts: 17
    I really need to know the answer to this question, it's driving me crazy!!!
    In concert in some of the 2000-shows-Ed changes the line before-"I paid the price, never held you in real life" I can't make out what he is saying-I think it sounds like something to do with "a voew"
    Does anyone know what I mean?
    are we going to the same place? if so, can i come?
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    schnitz wrote:
    What does everyone think this is about? I think this is about a man who never got the love of his life.

I lean towards this interp.

just got chills reading the lyrics....

I thought the lyrics said, "picture empty cup in the middle of the sea"....theskyiscrape has it as..."picture a cup in the middle of the sea"...
    anyone know which it actually is...I feel the meaning is drastically changed depending on what he actually says...
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    Bu$hleagueBu$hleague Posts: 78
    I lean towards this interp.

just got chills reading the lyrics....

I thought the lyrics said, "picture empty cup in the middle of the sea"....theskyiscrape has it as..."picture a cup in the middle of the sea"...
    anyone know which it actually is...I feel the meaning is drastically changed depending on what he actually says...

It's "picture a cup in the middle of the sea"; but on a few bootlegs Ed sings "an empty cup in the middle of the sea". I don't think it really changes the meaning that much.

'All these advantages this life's got on me... '

Beautiful.
    "I'm like an opening band for the sun"
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    Bu$hleague wrote:
    It's "picture a cup in the middle of the sea"; but on a few bootlegs Ed sings "an empty cup in the middle of the sea". I don't think it really changes the meaning that much.

'All these advantages this life's got on me... '

Beautiful.

Maybe...

an empty cup in the middle of the sea, to me, would suggest you have TONS OF WATER ALL AROUND YOU and you cannot get any...however, by not getting any, you stay afloat, if you had your cup filled, you sink...

now that I think about it, maybe its about a person who enjoys hating being lonely?

sorry, off on a tangent...
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    mandalina wrote:
    and I stare you back
    stare back at me...

Oh my, those lines just slay me every time...they seriously give me chills. One of my favourite Pearl Jam songs of all time.

I agree with all of you guys on the interpretation of the song....love, regret....lord, I could go on forever about the genius of this song.

yes and yes.
    i could listen to this song endlessly.
    i think it truly highlights the brilliance of ed's lyrical abilities....his way with words, turning of phrases, imagery conjured..........amazing, amazing stuff.

love, regret....what ifs....choices.........doesn't get much better, or worse - depending on your perspective.......than that. LIFE.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    KovoKovo Posts: 255
    I just heard this song last week for the first time, and I've been listening to it ever since. It's an amazing song.
    I shouldn't have to fight a battle I'll never win, just to lose those I've never had.
  • Options
    xboss14xxboss14x Posts: 11
    when i was in like 7th grade i thought it was "and i fall back in my mind endlessly" in stead of what it is. I still sing it on accident sometimes.