Options

I got id

2»

Comments

• Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    I like it how everyone comes up w/their own interpretations...it does give an insight on how, we, the fans, think. :D

This song has helped me through my break-ups. When Eddie sings, 'never held you in real life' it just feels like your whole world is crashing around you. Having something that you once had, and you can't have no more. That is the sad reality of this song. Even though it sounds harsh, it is so true.

To me this song has a lot of significance, you can look at the memories you share w/this person, but then you realize you don't have that person in your life anymore and you can't part w/that. Your memories is what is making you feel worse. That is how I translate it.

Let us reflect on the lyrics to this song...and props for schnitz for starting this GREAT discussion:)

my lips are shakin' my nails are bit off
    been a month since i've heard myself talk
    all the advantage this life's got on me
    picture a cup in the middle of the sea
    and i fight back in my mind
    never lets me be right
    i got memories i got shit
    so much it don't show
    oh i walked the line when you held me in that night
    i walked the line when you held my hand that night
    an empty shells seem so easy to crack
    got all these questions don't know who i could even ask
    so i'll just lie alone and wait for the dream
    where i'm not ugly and your lookin' at me
    and i stare you back
    oh blue eyes, i've seen it
    if just once i could feel love
    oh stare back at me, yeah..
    but i walked the line when you held me in that night
    oh i walked the line when you held my hand that night
    oh i walked the line when you held me close that night
    i paid the price never held you in real life
    my lips are shakin'

this song hits me hard...always has.....

"never held you in real life"...for me? I never had him for real....he was always one step away and to look back on it? It crushed me to realize it...yes, my world came crashing down on me.

"i walked the line when you held me close that night"....one night, though every minute with him was a gift, rings in my mind on this line. It was a moment of clarity, truth, love and pain. I knew I was in love with him, knew he loved me...it was so right yet it just couldn't be....held me close, didn't think we could be any closer yet we both knew it was over.

the most excrutiating thing that has ever happened in my life. yet, what I wouldn't give to have that love stare back at me again.

yup...an all time favorite song of mine....makes me smile, makes me cry.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    davo499davo499 Posts: 14
    never really cared for the song
    but this thread has given it a completely new meaning for me
    now i think i love it
    you've gotta hold on to your time
    till you break through these times of trouble
  • Options
    This also one of my favorite PJ songs and I am so grateful I got to see it live. I love the different interpretations listed here, but I think this song is related to the film "Dead Man Walking." I believe Bruce and Pearl Jam were the only artists on the soundtrack, and id tells the story of Sean Penn's character and the relationship between his character and Susan Sarandon's character.
  • Options
    Mr PyjamaMr Pyjama Posts: 253
    Bu$hleague wrote:
    It's "picture a cup in the middle of the sea"; but on a few bootlegs Ed sings "an empty cup in the middle of the sea". I don't think it really changes the meaning that much.

'All these advantages this life's got on me... '

Beautiful.

I know the lyrics are always listed as 'All these advantages...' but i always hear it as 'The only advance..' I'm not sure it works as well lyrically as the 'advantages..' line, but i'm fairly positive Ed sings 'The only advance this life's got on me..' on the recorded version..there's a chance he sings 'advantages' live, but i'm pretty sure he doesn't on the CD version.

Hmmm...pretty irrelevent really, but just wandering if anyone else thinks the lyric is commonly misprinted/misheard?
    Situations get fucked up and turned around sooner or later...
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i think it's about puppies.
  • Options
    i think most of the time the lyrics go

"and i fight back in my mind.. never lets me be right out"

perhaps i am mistaken, but it always seemed like the subject is in a psychological struggle to overcome emotions of lost love through haunting memories of missed chances..

it is interesting how the song's two titles can then be cast into opposing interpretations.. 'I Got ID' as though self-awareness is a valuable substance of being alive.. vs... 'I Got Shit' as having nothing... ID=Shit, to play the part of the mathematician for Once.

i liked the comment at the beginning of the thread about the lyrics being cyclical, seems to be an important part of the song..

...in-tangent with Long Road merkinball probably has to be considered the best 2-track musical release ever...??

..and clearly it's all about puppies!
    change begins with discontent.
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Well, I heard "Id" is either a greek or latin word meaning "youth" or something like that. I can't remember the exact meaning, however, I always thought the song was about being young when you're hormones kick in and falling head over heels for some girl that you think is perfect. And the guy gets so far with her (ex. he gets her number, he talks to her, he hangs out with her) but he never gets to date her, so he then falls into depression. Hence he "never held her in real life," he was never with her.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    This does not make much sense...but this is the only song I can be happy and sad at the sametime...dunno why...its covers the entire emotional range for me. Its stunning...I really hope to get to hear it on the upcoming tour.
  • Options
    ever since i heard it the line,

"picture a cup in the middle of the sea"

just hit me so deep, it is such great imagery, i ,mean can u imagine anything more alone and isolated??

i think that is what the whole song is based around. it touches on all the aspects of being alone and deals alot with the depression that the character is suffering.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."