Open Letter to Mr. Vedder

Comments

• I'm just glad to be in a position to make a difference in the lives of my students. They really do mean the world to me. I can only hope that one goes on and makes a difference in this world of ours.

Mr. B

Cutki wrote:
    Wow!

It really does take something special to come up with an idea like this one,
    esp now when poetry is long forgotten by most people.
    Everyone enjoys music but they keep forgetting poetry as the foundation. It is known as "lyrics" and that is plain sad.

I hope you will keep up the great work, and who knows,
    perhaps some day one of the kids inspired by Black (PJ) and Mr. Bruno goes on to make beautiful things in this ugly world.

Good luck and keep inspiring!
    Dalai Lama—To say that humility is an essential ingredient in our pursuit of spiritual transformation may seem to be at odds with what I have said about the need for confidence. But there is clearly a distinction to be made between valid confidence or self-esteem, and conceit - which we can describe as an inflated sense of importance, grounded in a false image of self.
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    I didn't realize this thread got moved here until now:p It was nice to read this again. and great job again!:)
  • joewalshdcjoewalshdc Posts: 948
    hey man, amazing letter...its great to grasp a song, or a lyric and interpret it. I reckon Ed will love your letter but may have a different take on it, as may i or anyone else who loves the song. Your letter was pretty inspirational. Beautiful work. I actually have all the lyrics to Black tattooed on my arm. Its truly a mindblowing lyric.

Peace from New Zealand
  • now THAT'S a true fan!

Mr. B
    Dalai Lama—To say that humility is an essential ingredient in our pursuit of spiritual transformation may seem to be at odds with what I have said about the need for confidence. But there is clearly a distinction to be made between valid confidence or self-esteem, and conceit - which we can describe as an inflated sense of importance, grounded in a false image of self.
  • joewalshdc wrote:
    hey man, amazing letter...its great to grasp a song, or a lyric and interpret it. I reckon Ed will love your letter but may have a different take on it, as may i or anyone else who loves the song. Your letter was pretty inspirational. Beautiful work. I actually have all the lyrics to Black tattooed on my arm. Its truly a mindblowing lyric.

Peace from New Zealand

Wow, do you have a picture of you tatoo? If yes, please post it. I'd love to see it.
  • Wow, do you have a picture of you tatoo? If yes, please post it. I'd love to see it.

Do you have a link to a pic?

Mr. B
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by brain of c
    i like the death metal version.

lolz.

never leave this board man, it wouldn't be the same.

Say What? :)
  • So, Mr. Bruno, I have but one question for you: Do you have a favorite Pearl Jam song?

I'm joking of course.

Now I'm no teacher of literature, or in any other way an expert. But a song that always seemed to be very well written is 'Off He Goes' (are there some verb disagreements in that sentence?)

It seems very personal to Ed, and putting in the context of what we knew of his life in '95/'96, very revealing and full of meaning. I can't quite put it in the terms you used in your initial post about 'Black' (sidenote: that "I take a walk outside..." part is what turned my 12 year old self into a Pearl Jam freak) but I think that this song as much as any others displays lyrical finesse. When I realized that he was talking about himself, it blew my mind. I used that song for a Junior year in High School English assignment.

Maybe without the personal connection to this song, as you have with 'Black' would take away a bit of the passion of teaching the verse. And that's fine. All songs mean different things to all people.

And maybe the theme of feeling like you've lost your identity to the point of just seeming like an old and distant friend, and not even knowing yourself anymore is far less accessible to young teenagers than the deep pains of lost love. But maybe there is a lesson in there to be true to yourself, and a good friend to yourself or others.

And I agree that Black's lyrics are extremely powerful, and am not comparing 'Off He Goes' to 'Black'. I don't think you can compare any Pearl Jam song in an apples to apples fashion. Part of the beauty of the band. Just making a suggestion, and maybe deep down seeking some validation out of habit of always wanting to please teachers!
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
    Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.
  • really amazing ... Mr ,you choose the best song and these guys are very lucky,congratulations!
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • why cant you be my teacher?
    Adge
    12.9.06= Rockin In The Free World
  • vedhead011,

Favorite song! lol While I do have a deep appreciation for "Black," the older I get, the more I look at it from an analytical perspective.....I guess it goes with the territory.

I'm afraid that I don't know "Off He Goes," but I'll have to check it out on youtube tonight.

I agree with you on the idea of making the song user-friendly for teens. They can very quickly identify with lost love, be it the loss of parents, siblings, or the tender ache of lost middle-school love....a subject that is far more wounding than most want to remember.

....and thanks for making me stop and think....I'm right in the middle of reading over 90 BCRs and Essays, and it's killing me!

Mr. B
    vedhead011 wrote:
    So, Mr. Bruno, I have but one question for you: Do you have a favorite Pearl Jam song?

I'm joking of course.

Now I'm no teacher of literature, or in any other way an expert. But a song that always seemed to be very well written is 'Off He Goes' (are there some verb disagreements in that sentence?)

It seems very personal to Ed, and putting in the context of what we knew of his life in '95/'96, very revealing and full of meaning. I can't quite put it in the terms you used in your initial post about 'Black' (sidenote: that "I take a walk outside..." part is what turned my 12 year old self into a Pearl Jam freak) but I think that this song as much as any others displays lyrical finesse. When I realized that he was talking about himself, it blew my mind. I used that song for a Junior year in High School English assignment.

Maybe without the personal connection to this song, as you have with 'Black' would take away a bit of the passion of teaching the verse. And that's fine. All songs mean different things to all people.

And maybe the theme of feeling like you've lost your identity to the point of just seeming like an old and distant friend, and not even knowing yourself anymore is far less accessible to young teenagers than the deep pains of lost love. But maybe there is a lesson in there to be true to yourself, and a good friend to yourself or others.

And I agree that Black's lyrics are extremely powerful, and am not comparing 'Off He Goes' to 'Black'. I don't think you can compare any Pearl Jam song in an apples to apples fashion. Part of the beauty of the band. Just making a suggestion, and maybe deep down seeking some validation out of habit of always wanting to please teachers!
  • really amazing ... Mr ,you choose the best song and these guys are very lucky,congratulations!

....but I'm the lucky one...the students are the best kids in the world....makes me proud to be there teacher...and I can't wait until early May when I do teach the "Black" unit all over again!

Mr. B
  • why cant you be my teacher?

....now THAT'S a compliment!

I don't know what to say. :)

/bow
  • ...and I really liked it ...but I LOVED The Long Road...talk about power!

Matt

upina2001 wrote:
    Its a song off Yield....(the best PJ album)
  • 23mx23mx Posts: 1
    beaituful
    i just would refer a more ambigous dimension to "she" add a grasp beyond just a girl friend...

nevertheless, beautiful and the one clas sthat got me hooked on reading was literall analysis.. thanks
  • You are most welcome. Thanks for the compliment.

Matthew
    23mx wrote:
    beaituful
    i just would refer a more ambigous dimension to "she" add a grasp beyond just a girl friend...

nevertheless, beautiful and the one clas sthat got me hooked on reading was literall analysis.. thanks
  • ....but I'm the lucky one...the students are the best kids in the world....makes me proud to be there teacher...and I can't wait until early May when I do teach the "Black" unit all over again!

Mr. B
    I do hope your students won't be reading this. It wouldn't leave a good impression, I think. ;)

Great idea though and I loved the way you prepared your lesson.
  • This was the best morning reading ever. Such an interesting, well writen thread. Keep on the good work, if all teachers were like you this world would indeed be a better place.
    His boots are thunder as he plays.
  • joewalshdc wrote:

Peace from New Zealand

Is there any chance to see your tattoo, any links ? I'd love to see it.
  • MollyGrue wrote:
    This was the best morning reading ever. Such an interesting, well writen thread. Keep on the good work, if all teachers were like you this world would indeed be a better place.

Thank you...you are too kind. I can only hope that when all is said and done, I've made a difference. EV gave us Black close to 15 years ago, and now I am in a position to use Black to give back to the community.

Matthew
  • I'm sure your puplis will remeber you for as long as they live. I would have, if any of my teachers had come with such a wonderful present.

I love most of PJ's songs, but Black is my all times favorite. I was just reading your thread about the tags Eddie's been adding to ït during these years.Again, very interesting points of view.
  • I, too, hold a deep reverence for Black. It reminds me of so much, both good and bad. I think that it's one of the most powerful, living-pieces of modern poetry that we have in the classroom.....it is the pulse of our collective youth.

Thanks for your kind words, MollyGrue.

Matthew
    MollyGrue wrote:
    I'm sure your puplis will remeber you for as long as they live. I would have, if any of my teachers had come with such a wonderful present.

I love most of PJ's songs, but Black is my all times favorite. I was just reading your thread about the tags Eddie's been adding to ït during these years.Again, very interesting points of view.
  • joewalshdc wrote:

Peace from New Zealand

You really do have a nice singing voice!

Matthew
  • If you liked this thread.....Try Soundgarden and Heroin Use.

http://forums.pearljam.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11
  • 3.5 months and counting until I do the "Black" unit again with this year's 8th graders. I can only hope that this year's bunch of kids enjoys the "Black" unit as much as last year's kids enjoyed it. I know I enjoyed teaching it, and I hope they enjoy taking part in it.

Matt
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    3.5 months and counting until I do the "Black" unit again with this year's 8th graders. I can only hope that this year's bunch of kids enjoys the "Black" unit as much as last year's kids enjoyed it. I know I enjoyed teaching it, and I hope they enjoy taking part in it.

Matt

totally cool i wish my son or daughter were part of your class ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • totally cool i wish my son or daughter were part of your class ...

It's a really fun unit...and I enjoy getting the kids to think about the literary elements in the song.

...just good stuff.
  • risarisa Posts: 42
    amazing...

i wish i had you as a teacher!!!
    i waited all day.
    you waited all day..
    but you left before sunset..

...should have stayed for the sunset...
    if not for me.
  • is this for real? puleeeeez...............
  • No Way, (why could'nt I have had such a cool teach in high school?! I had to read "the long walk home") I am also impressed at the insight of the students...when i was in high school, i knew the song rocked, but didnt fully grasp it until the breakup with my first real love, a year later.

Now, you should hit 'em with the Greatfull Dead. Just to fuck them up. 0_o (kidding)