Options

Setlist Order

124»

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,810
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    If they had kept on and played the whole album straight through on Night 1, and then done the same thing on Night 2, would people have the same complaint as they do having heard four songs in a row from the new album on both nights? I suspect they wouldn't. And I suspect that if they played the album straight through on Night 1 and then didn't do it on Night 2, people who went to Night 2 only would have complained about that.
    I for one would not be thrilled if they were playing the full album in order every night
    I didn't say "every night." I just said both nights. We have no idea what they're going to do for the rest of the tour, but we have people freaking out based on what they did over the first two nights. And, again, we're talking about songs that no one has had the chance to hear live before.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    DEGBTI said:
    I think a lot of people are quick to defend PJ on this take. I think its more of a "wow, that's different" than a complaint. At least that's how I take it. I'm going to Portland and if they do it again that would be 'odd", to me at least. This is just based off the history off the bands set list, not a complaint.
    Someone called it "lame" and characterized their reaction to it as "ugh." 
  • Options
    My only setlist grievance is the same grievance I've had for about a decade now: starting the show with three or four slow songs or ballads. I've always liked songs like Release or Long Road as an opener. But after that...let's rock (unless it's Arms Aloft lol). I'm not into songs like Nothingman or Low Light as the second song. 

Easy for me to say though. I do suspect this is something they do to ease Eddie's voice into the show. Dude is pushing 60 now. Might need to warm up with a few slower songs before yelling and screaming songs like Go, Do The Evolution, etc. 
    13 years later and I still cannot believe Arms Aloft was played after Release at PJ20
    And I still can't believe it was included on Live on Ten Legs.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019
    edited May 8
    BF25394 said:
    DEGBTI said:
    I think a lot of people are quick to defend PJ on this take. I think its more of a "wow, that's different" than a complaint. At least that's how I take it. I'm going to Portland and if they do it again that would be 'odd", to me at least. This is just based off the history off the bands set list, not a complaint.
    Someone called it "lame" and characterized their reaction to it as "ugh." 
    That was me.   I stand by your two quoted words.  At msg and Philly I don’t want the same four songs in a row in the same exact spot (lame) and don’t want the same last song (ugh).  ;)

iso 2 for Philly 1
    iso 1 for msg 1.    :)
    hell I ll take three for Indy.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 867
    edited May 8

How about the guys recreating the opening three songs last time they were in Sacramento?  Btw, the Sacramento Valley Amphitheater in 2000 doesn't really count as it is an hour north on a show night....although they started that show with Whipping.

This 2008 Sacramento show was the only one that has ever started with Spin the Black Circle (credit to Live on 4 Legs).  If those three bangers don't get you going out of the chute...this may be the wrong band for you.

I am part of the fandom that looks forward to seeing songs from DM...don't care if they stay where they are or move around the setlist.  For those of you that are fortunate enough to be seeing a gaggle of shows on this tour, the 4 song DM run will afford you the opportunity to grab a beer, have a pee break and grab another beer and, should Ed wax poetic for a bit between songs, have another pee break....
    Post edited by huntersthompson on
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    SHZA said:
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Four of the same songs in a row in the exact same spot in the setlist is pretty lame for pearl jam.  And ending both shows with the same song?  ugh.  
    Lame? Ugh? These songs just frigging came out. They had never played them before! How can anyone be complaining about this? Most of the people there on Night 2 weren't even there on Night 1. I'm going to ten shows on this tour and if I heard these eleven new songs ten times each (no longer possible, I know), that would be amazing.
    Different strokes 
    Bingo.   
    Sure, but I can't relate to a stroke that says, "They've played this song once, ever. How lame that they're playing it again so soon."
    The problem is the playing of the same four songs in a row in the same spot.  We all could have guessed they were gonna play some of the new songs every night but nothing like this.  
    And I love setting sun but to close with it two nights in a row?  
    I think you should go back to the 95 tour and check out where they slotted Last Exit, Spin The Black Circle, Tremor Christ, and Corduroy. Four songs in a row, usually in the same spot in the set, in that order. This isn't new.

I enjoy the fact that they're still great live, and putting out great records.

First world problems, but to each their own.
    An example from 29 years ago?  I think you proved my point.  I remember how pissed people were after they played the first three songs to start the East Rutherford shows in 2006.  
    To be fair, examples from 29 years ago get thrown around pretty liberally around here whenever Ticketmaster comes up 😉
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019
    kmcmanus said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    SHZA said:
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Four of the same songs in a row in the exact same spot in the setlist is pretty lame for pearl jam.  And ending both shows with the same song?  ugh.  
    Lame? Ugh? These songs just frigging came out. They had never played them before! How can anyone be complaining about this? Most of the people there on Night 2 weren't even there on Night 1. I'm going to ten shows on this tour and if I heard these eleven new songs ten times each (no longer possible, I know), that would be amazing.
    Different strokes 
    Bingo.   
    Sure, but I can't relate to a stroke that says, "They've played this song once, ever. How lame that they're playing it again so soon."
    The problem is the playing of the same four songs in a row in the same spot.  We all could have guessed they were gonna play some of the new songs every night but nothing like this.  
    And I love setting sun but to close with it two nights in a row?  
    I think you should go back to the 95 tour and check out where they slotted Last Exit, Spin The Black Circle, Tremor Christ, and Corduroy. Four songs in a row, usually in the same spot in the set, in that order. This isn't new.

I enjoy the fact that they're still great live, and putting out great records.

First world problems, but to each their own.
    An example from 29 years ago?  I think you proved my point.  I remember how pissed people were after they played the first three songs to start the East Rutherford shows in 2006.  
    To be fair, examples from 29 years ago get thrown around pretty liberally around here whenever Ticketmaster comes up 😉
    Ha ha!  Touché!  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,377
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:
    If they had kept on and played the whole album straight through on Night 1, and then done the same thing on Night 2, would people have the same complaint as they do having heard four songs in a row from the new album on both nights? I suspect they wouldn't. And I suspect that if they played the album straight through on Night 1 and then didn't do it on Night 2, people who went to Night 2 only would have complained about that.
    I for one would not be thrilled if they were playing the full album in order every night
    I didn't say "every night." I just said both nights. We have no idea what they're going to do for the rest of the tour, but we have people freaking out based on what they did over the first two nights. And, again, we're talking about songs that no one has had the chance to hear live before.
    Then in this scenario yes I'd be a little concerned if they had played the album in full sequentially the first two nights
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,377
    BF25394 said:
    cutz said:
    MH143221 said:
    50 songs played over 2 nights. 
    9 repeats. 
    Of those 9, 7 were off the new album. 
    Only 2 covers each night. *Not counting Chloe/Crown

I say that’s a pretty great start. 
    So, that means 41  songs over 2 shows that weren't repeats? (Math is not my strong suite, so I might be off=LOL)

I agree that is a great start.
    Put another way, they played 40* different songs across the two shows. Not many bands do that.

* I think it was 25 songs the first night and 24 the second night, for a total of 49, including the nine repeats.
    A touch over 1/3 of the songs repeated in a 2 night stand is a shift. Last time I saw them it was 4/30 each night. We'll see what happens as the tour progresses.
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,339
    edited May 19
    Looks like they switched it up last night. I'm very excited to start crossing DM songs off my list Tuesday night.

Just looked at the setlist of my first show and they played 9 from No Code. At the time probably many in the crowd were not pleased, but I was and looking back on it very thankful that they went heavy on the No Code tour.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Gibson said:
    A good way to not know what's next is to avoid reading setlists. It's hard to do, but it's doable.
    It is doable. I avoided them for Sacramento. I actually told my wife after Dark Matter that maybe they were playing the new album in order…and then they played Garden! 😂😂
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,576
    rrivers said:
    Gibson said:
    A good way to not know what's next is to avoid reading setlists. It's hard to do, but it's doable.
    It is doable. I avoided them for Sacramento. I actually told my wife after Dark Matter that maybe they were playing the new album in order…and then they played Garden! 😂😂
    Kudos! It’s been a while since I was able to do the same. Hopefully it added to the experience :)
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2,

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,616