Options

Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    Sugar Mountain tour premiere last night !

Cant wait for Great Woods Friday night !

set getting longer and more "Rust Never Sleeps" like !

I will be in heaven !
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,155
    locked said:
    Sugar Mountain tour premiere last night !

Cant wait for Great Woods Friday night !

set getting longer and more "Rust Never Sleeps" like !

I will be in heaven !
    Sugar Mountain is one of my favorites. Can’t wait for Ohana!!
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,486
    Man, I picked up World Record a few weeks ago and I keep coming back to it again and again, lol. I think the main reason is the simplicity and sincerity of its message (as I perceive it, lol), along with the musical variety. I more or less read it as Neil’s love letter to the planet and reading about its genesis and recording was interesting as well.

Several times now I’ve listened to the album back-to-back, something I don’t remember doing for years if not decades, lol, and it’s getting significantly more play than both Happiness Bastards and Dark Matter (which are both incredibly solid albums).

Getting really jazzed for the show in July, happy to see Love Earth appearing regularly!

This album’s also given me my favourite lyric in years:

Because the Earth has held me so
    I never will let go 
    I never will let go
    I never will let go
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,878
    he should play more from Broken Arrow

Yes!  Some only so-so songs on that record, but the really good stuff is amazing.  I would love to see, for example, "Slip Away" done live.  Such a mesmerizing song!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,352
    This might seem like a bizarre request but if anyone catches a clue on social media, etc about where the band's travels may take them on this off day a heads up would be awesome.

Am attending an event with a TBA musical performance and there are only so many artists that logically line up even though it's crazy to consider.
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,259
    edited May 16
    brianlux said:

Yes!  Some only so-so songs on that record, but the really good stuff is amazing.  I would love to see, for example, "Slip Away" done live.  Such a mesmerizing song!

I'd love to hear "Loose Change" get an outing but I'm not sure if Neil is too into that one. It's rarely been played live. Love that song.

On an unrelated note, I'm listening to the song "On The Beach" right now and thinking that this is not only my favourite Neil song, but one of the greatest songs ever recorded. The atmosphere of that song is something I've rarely come across elsewhere. Unbelievable music and lyrics to match.
    Post edited by Edved82 on
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:

I'd love to hear "Loose Change" get an outing but I'm not sure if Neil is too into that one. It's rarely been played live. Love that song.

On an unrelated note, I'm listening to the song "On The Beach" right now and thinking that this is not only my favourite Neil song, but one of the greatest songs ever recorded. The atmosphere of that song is something I've rarely come across elsewhere. Unbelievable music and lyrics to match.

Oh man, YES!  Loose change is such a great song.  My idea of "meditation" (or "medication", for that matter, lol) is listening to Loose Change and getting lost in that long extended single chord part.  Good call, Edved!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,348
    edited May 16
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:

Oh man, YES!  Loose change is such a great song.  My idea of "meditation" (or "medication", for that matter, lol) is listening to Loose Change and getting lost in that long extended single chord part.  Good call, Edved!
    Apart from Big Time (2018) and Scattered (this tour) Neil hasn’t played anything from Broken Arrow since 1997. We know Big Time was soundchecked last week, so there’s always a chance.

He has only played Loose Change 7 times, all of them in 1996. Only Changing Highways has been played less. It would be a super-deep cut if he broke it out now.
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    edited May 17
    Looks like the preorder for Early Daze might be going up soon. 

1. Side 1: Dance Dance Dance (Included on Neil Young - Archives Vol. I.)
    2. Come On Baby Let’s Go Downtown (Unreleased version)
    3. Winterlong (Unreleased version)
    4. Everybody’s Alone (Different mix included on Archives Vol. I)
    5. Wonderin’ (Unreleased version)

6. Side 2: Cinnamon Girl (Original 7” Mono mix. Released April 20, 1970. Includes guitar outro not on LP version.)
    7. Look At All The Things (Unreleased version)
    8. Helpless (Unreleased version)
    9. Birds (Unreleased stereo mix). Mono mix was released as B-side to “Only Love Can Break Your Heart”)
    10. Down By The River (Unreleased version with alternate vocals)

Early Horse recordings with Danny Whitten, yes please!

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    edited May 17

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:
    brianlux said:

Apart from Big Time (2018) and Scattered (this tour) Neil hasn’t played anything from Broken Arrow since 1997. We know Big Time was soundchecked last week, so there’s always a chance.

He has only played Loose Change 7 times, all of them in 1996. Only Changing Highways has been played less. It would be a super-deep cut if he broke it out now.

I wonder if he avoids those songs because the pain- even after all this time- of losing David Briggs is just too much?

• Options
    goldrush said:

Wow, talk about digging deep into the way-back machine! 
    Every time I think about early Neil Young and Crazy Horse, I remember sitting on the floor in my girl friend's parent's living room listening to Everybody Knows... and After the Gold Rush.  Magic moments, those.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,362
    goldrush said:

Is this from the archives or something brand new?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Saw now it's a mix of stuff. Some unreleased, some archive etc. Cool
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Saw now it's a mix of stuff. Some unreleased, some archive etc. Cool

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Bought a ticket to Hollywood Bowl
  • Options
    edited May 18
    Thank god for swedish service fees (which I imagine are closer to actual service fees) when seeing US bs
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,400
    I didn’t save the review for one of the forest hills show but it was brutal! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,026
    I hope he keeps putting out releases like Early Daze. Start Collecting the rareties from the box sets and the NYA on vinyl. These are day 1 NY releases IMO and I'm not waiting for a deep Amazon discount for those.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    Everyone’s Alone sounds fucking good! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,113
    I didn’t save the review for one of the forest hills show but it was brutal! 
    Is this the one? 

https://variety.com/2024/music/reviews/neil-young-crazy-horse-forest-hills-tonight-was-not-the-night-concert-review-1236006114/
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    This is a special looking setlist!

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 715
    No Needle And The Damage Done or Rockin’ In The Free World?
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,686
    Bought a ticket to Hollywood Bowl
    Awesome!!..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 865
    Heading to the show tonight. First timer. 
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Options
    Celticskemba8Celticskemba8 Posts: 318
    Boston got Down by the River & Hurricane in the encore. My two fav NY songs. That woulda been unreal.
  • Options
    edited May 21
    I wanna hear Everybody's rockin' live :/
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 865
    Amazing show and great energy. Really impressed how he can still do it at that age. 
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Options
    mikesbri said:
    Amazing show and great energy. Really impressed how he can still do it at that age. 

For sure!  And Billy and Ralph, even older.  Both are 80, 2 years Neil's senior!

• Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,259
    brianlux said:
    mikesbri said:

For sure!  And Billy and Ralph, even older.  Both are 80, 2 years Neil's senior!

I said it before but we're blessed to still have Neil, Billy and Ralph around and have them playing live shows. There's something really magical about seeing them on stage.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."