Options

Best song on DM?

Comments

• Options
    chrisr211977chrisr211977 Posts: 92
    Wreckage
    Got To Give is a masterpiece.
    I don't believe nothin', even if it's true.
    "That's a vibe" - Ryan Miller

9/11/2022 - Madison Square Garden, New York
    Other bands
    Guster - 8/12/2023
    Guster - 3/30/2024
    Guster - 8/11/2024
    Built to Spill - 9/1/2024
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,009
    Waiting For Stevie
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Setting Sun and Dark Matter are the best on the album, and better than anything they've put out since Avocado, including Avocado. 
    So you're actually saying you think it's better than anything they've put out since Riot Act.
    Since yield.  
    come on Mike!!..better than Binaural, Riot Act and Avocando??..no way IMO..nice record but not great..
    Plenty of skip songs on those three.  Nothing will
    ever top their first five albums but I do feel Dark matter is number six.
    What do skip on Binaural????????????????? :o
    Except for maybe Evacuation sometimes. You've lost the plot dude. 

I like DM a lot but come on.
    For me I skip god s dice, evacuation and sleight of hand.  I skip insignificance every other listen.  ;)
    Damn mike
    Rob, don't get me started on riot act!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    Upper Hand
    Still upper hand 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,287
    Waiting For Stevie
    Got To Give is a masterpiece.
    It was in my top 3 from first listen, now settling in the middle, but that is not too shabby.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,287
    Waiting For Stevie
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Setting Sun and Dark Matter are the best on the album, and better than anything they've put out since Avocado, including Avocado. 
    So you're actually saying you think it's better than anything they've put out since Riot Act.
    Since yield.  
    come on Mike!!..better than Binaural, Riot Act and Avocando??..no way IMO..nice record but not great..

For me I skip god s dice, evacuation and sleight of hand.  I skip insignificance every other listen.  ;)
    Damn mike
    LOL. God's Dice and Evacuation okay, but skipping insignificance is blasphemy!
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836
    Wreckage
    So I put on my PJ playlist for the drive down and put it on shuffle. My streaming service only played one DM in 5 hours....
    WRECKAGE!!!!!!!
    That's because it's the best.  ;)
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,009
    Waiting For Stevie
    spankyMP said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Since yield.  

Damn mike
    Only every other time! Lol 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    southpsouthp Posts: 278
    Setting Sun
    I’m not picking favourites but I can at least break DM down into tiers. It’s all subjective of course. 

Tier 1 - Put these right alongside the classic set list staples. 
    Dark Matter
    Setting Sun
    Waiting for Stevie
    Wreckage 

Tier 2 - Solid, love some parts, still excited to hear them. 
    Scared of Fear
    React Respond
    Running
    Won’t Tell

Tier 3 - Already finding myself skipping them, don’t need to hear them live. 
    Upper Hand
    Got to Give
    Something Special 

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,362
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,362
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Since yield.  

I don't skip anything, but "Gods' Dice" is not particularly good, and "Soon Forget" is a trifle. And I know at least one person who skips "Writer's Block": Bill Simmons based on the fact that he was apparently completely shocked to learn that Eddie Vedder uses a typewriter.
    I don't know what "trifle" means. But I imagine it means "cute and charming", because that is what the song is. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,686
    Waiting For Stevie
    spankyMP said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    23scidoo said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Since yield.  

Damn mike
    Skipping Sleight of Hand is blasphemy!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,213

It is terrific that fans are really loving the new album, and I think a lot of the songs are good. I am trying to see how folks can line this up with their best material from the 90s? Nine in the setlist from this album is a lot.

What they did back in the 90s, what made them exceptional just to list two... First, Stone is a master at transitioning a song from one tempo to another or one style of music to another. Secondly, Ed was amazing at singing like his life depended on it. Mike has some terrific solos here, but they are played over the main riff or a very similar to the main riff. I am not sure that’s the type of songwriting style that I loved so much 30+ years ago. Good tunes for sure, just not elite for me

I believe there’s a lot of excellent playing on DM, and Ed’s voice does sound good, but if someone could point  to a phenomenal DM transition of tempo that lines up with their 90s work, or at singing like nothing else in the world matters like he does on say alive, I’m just trying to see how the songs on this album reaches that elite tier they hit so often in the early days, that seems to be a very common sentiment on the forum. BTW love the title track. Very much appreciated.

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,508
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,779
    Got to Give

It is terrific that fans are really loving the new album, and I think a lot of the songs are good. I am trying to see how folks can line this up with their best material from the 90s? Nine in the setlist from this album is a lot.

What they did back in the 90s, what made them exceptional just to list two... First, Stone is a master at transitioning a song from one tempo to another or one style of music to another. Secondly, Ed was amazing at singing like his life depended on it. Mike has some terrific solos here, but they are played over the main riff or a very similar to the main riff. I am not sure that’s the type of songwriting style that I loved so much 30+ years ago. Good tunes for sure, just not elite for me

I believe there’s a lot of excellent playing on DM, and Ed’s voice does sound good, but if someone could point  to a phenomenal DM transition of tempo that lines up with their 90s work, or at singing like nothing else in the world matters like he does on say alive, I’m just trying to see how the songs on this album reaches that elite tier they hit so often in the early days, that seems to be a very common sentiment on the forum. BTW love the title track. Very much appreciated.

I don't know what to tell you. The songs are great. The songs have always been great, on every album. I point to the consistent Metacritic scores for the recent albums: Dark Matter (81), Gigaton (80), Lightning Bolt (73), Backspacer (79). Maybe it's you, i.e., maybe you're just not in the same headspace you were 30 years ago to be able to enjoy the new music.

It's a common sentiment on the forum, perhaps, but I think there is a sociological aspect to that and, again, I point to those aggregate reviews by music writers. Music writers are people who have never gotten out of the habit of listening to new music. They seek it out; indeed, they make their living from it. And they don't write a review without giving an album quite a bit of attention. The average rock fan-- and I'm not saying this is you-- is a middle-aged person with a lot more going on in their lives than there was 30 years ago when they were 17 or 18 and could immerse themselves in a record in a way that most of them just don't anymore because of job and family obligations, not to mention the metastasization of the internet since 1994 and the way it and smartphones cannibalize people's time. A middle-aged person in 1994 who had been listening to rock music for 30 years had fewer things dividing their attention from it than a middle-aged person in 2024.

Signed, a middle-aged person who never got out of the habit of playing the shit out of new albums from favorite artists.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Scared of Fear
    BF25394, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm still really proud to be associated with Pearl Jam in any way whatsoever, including with respect to their more recent albums. 
  • Options
    mrvish66mrvish66 Melbourne, Australia Posts: 2
    I am so obsessed with DM at the moment. It has been on repeat since it came out. I haven't been so obsessed with a PJ album since Vitalogy! Fucking love this album. So hard to pick a favourite, but if I had to pick one up "Won't tell" is mine for the moment.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 4,010
    Waiting For Stevie
    At the moment it’s React Respond. Saw some footage of one of the Vancouver shows and Stone is riffing this mother fucker! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 282
    edited May 17
    Upper Hand
    mrvish66 said:
    I am so obsessed with DM at the moment. It has been on repeat since it came out. I haven't been so obsessed with a PJ album since Vitalogy! Fucking love this album. So hard to pick a favourite, but if I had to pick one up "Won't tell" is mine for the moment.
    I feel nearly the same way.
    Although I would replace Vitalogy with Yield and Won't Tell with Upper Hand.
    Post edited by kramerica4 on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,315
    Finally got the CD as a gift from my wife the other day after exclusively streaming it the last month. Playing it today in the house turned up on my Onkyo system setup with a sub and a few speakers sounds phenomenal. The sounds are deep and rich. Love the bass and drum through the sub. Had to turn the bass way down on my receiver and it's still powerful as fuck. Backing guitars and solos just rip through the speakers. Fantastic! The mix on Setting Sun is perfection.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 349
    Won't Tell
    I have listened to whole album 4-5 times now. "Won't Tell" is awesome.
  • Options
    Got to Give
    Having listened to the album about 30 times now, I finally feel like I can offer a considered opinion on this, so I voted for "Got to Give" and was somewhat surprised to see that it's at only 2 percent. Runners-up: "Won't Tell"; "Wreckage"; "Scared of Fear" and "Dark Matter."
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 498
    React, Respond
    BF25394 said:
    Having listened to the album about 30 times now, I finally feel like I can offer a considered opinion on this, so I voted for "Got to Give" and was somewhat surprised to see that it's at only 2 percent. Runners-up: "Won't Tell"; "Wreckage"; "Scared of Fear" and "Dark Matter."
    Most people voted soon after release day, and early on, "Got To Give" was a big sleeper track.  I think mainly because "Setting Sun" hooked many early, so people would skip right to that one.  You did the proper thing and let the whole album sink in before choosing.  For me, even after about 40 spins, my favorite track remained the same as it did on the very first listen.  "React / Respond".  Then it's a 10 song tie for my second favorite.

I agree, "Got To Give" is a really stellar track in all aspects, and I really hope that they play this song in LA.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836
    Wreckage
    After listening to the album more times than I can count during hours of driving to and from shows and seeing it all live, my original vote still stands.
    That said Got to Give and Running have moved up into the #2 & #4 spot respectively. 
    Wreckage 
    Got to Give 
    Dark Matter
    Running
    Scared of Fear
    The middles 
    React/Respond - once I heard it called "such a dad thing to say" song it just hasn't gotten it's mojo back. 
    Setting Sun - still hear and start singing My Hometown by Bruce Springsteen everytime it's played. Graphics are cool at the shows though and at least it's not YL.
    Something Special
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    AJ12904AJ12904 Posts: 1
    edited May 18
    Post edited by AJ12904 on
  • Options
    Daner90Daner90 Posts: 74
    Upper Hand
    After listening to the album multiple times, I just need a picture of this woman reaching up on the upper shelf with her dressing down and nothing else...
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,508
    Won't Tell
    Daner90 said:
    After listening to the album multiple times, I just need a picture of this woman reaching up on the upper shelf with her dressing down and nothing else...
    I won't tell :wink:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Got to Give
    Daner90 said:
    "Dressing down"? Is that a Freudian slip? Do you want her to berate you as part of this fantasy?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    edited May 19
    Waited a month and I still can't pick a favorite song.  I like all PJ albums but this album was so good upon first listen that we were actually laughing in the movie theater and shaking our heads because each tune was so good.   

Opinion of course but this blows away anything post-Yield.  So well crafted all the way around.  
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,217
    Won't Tell
    I waited a long time to pick but it has to be Won’t Tell. If you described each song to me it would probably sound like one of my least favorites, extremely poppy chorus, one of the few songs without a Mike solo. But it’s just so damn good and I can’t get it out of my head. Hearing it in Vancouver was such a great experience. Can’t wait to catch it again in the Fall. 
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 915
    Upper Hand
    Upper Hand and Setting Sun are top tier PJ in my book.