Options

Why does Pearl Jam have opening bands??

WheelfactorWheelfactor Posts: 13
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
instead of "pushing the curfew", why does pearl jam even bother with opening acts?

why not do a nice long 2 set show?? or just extend the whole thing much longer? they have such a vast catalog...it's not they would run out of material.

just a thought.
12-31-92- NYC Academy
3-29-94- St.Pete
10-7-96- West Palm Beach
8-14-2000- New Orleans
4-13-2003- Tampa
5-4-06- Ed Sullivan Theater
5-12-06- Albany
5-28-06- Camden
6-1-06- Meadowlands
6-3-06- Meadowlands
6-24-08- MSG
6-25-08-MSG
7-1-08- Beacon Theater
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    It gives great bands nice exposure. So many different fans of different bands throughout the years on these parts because they opened for Pearl Jam. It pretty much keeps the cycle of bands going...

Without opening acts, no one would get there "big break."
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    to give another band a chance to be heard.

EDIT: over bends beat me to it. :)
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    over_bends wrote:
    It gives great bands nice exposure. So many different fans of different bands throughout the years on these parts because they opened for Pearl Jam. It pretty much keeps the cycle of bands going...

I agree...and may I add that i've enjoyed the bands that i've seen open for PJ over the years eithere as being introduced to their music for the first time (supergrass, sparta, mmj, ted leo, dcfc)) or having the chance to catch them the second time around (robert pollard, cheap trick, buzzcocks).

For the exception of the Mansfield curfew, i would have to say i've been quite satisfied with every gig i've seen.

Start earlier?
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:

I agree...and may I add that i've enjoyed the bands that i've seen open for PJ over the years either as being introduced to their music for the first time (supergrass, sparta, mmj, ted leo, dcfc)) or having the chance to catch them the second time around (robert pollard, cheap trick, buzzcocks).

For the exception of the Mansfield curfew, i would have to say i've been quite satisfied with every gig i've seen.

Start earlier?
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:

I agree...and may I add that i've enjoyed the bands that i've seen open for PJ over the years either as being introduced to their music for the first time (supergrass, sparta, mmj, ted leo, dcfc)) or having the chance to catch them the second time around (robert pollard, cheap trick, buzzcocks).

Start earlier?
    s

• Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I could have gone for more Kings of Leon at Virginia Beach..those dudes are awesome

How about cutting out 2 PJ encores and just play though, it's a waste of a solid 7-9 minutes...listen we all know when they walk off they will come right back, it's a waste...if you gotta piss or something just do it during Last Kiss or Crazy Mary like the rest of the crowd
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I could have gone for more Kings of Leon at Virginia Beach..those dudes are awesome

How about cutting out 2 PJ encores and just play though, it's a waste of a solid 7-9 minutes...listen we all know when they walk off they will come right back, it's a waste...if you gotta piss or something just do it during Last Kiss or Crazy Mary like the rest of the crowd

I'm sure the band needs just as much a break as we do.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I don't think they'd be up to that long of a show every night.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Because Pearl Jam value new music. I'd have thought that was pretty obvious.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    instead of "pushing the curfew", why does pearl jam even bother with opening acts?

why not do a nice long 2 set show?? or just extend the whole thing much longer? they have such a vast catalog...it's not they would run out of material.

just a thought.

A freaking MEN. Its funny to read this board and hear people talk about "pushing the curfew" when honestly..the band could EASILY do "An evening with" ie NO opener. Start at 730..or 8. Go to 11. Done. I understand the "energy" and "passion" etc..but still.
  • Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    The members of Pearl Jam are music fans too, ya know. They obviously enjoy being on the road with another band and seeing the bands play. Nobody should be complaining about any show from this mini-tour, they all seemed awesome from the look at the setlists. Longer doesn't always mean better.

If it wasn't for opening acts, i probably wouldnt have caught on to Kings of Leon and My Morning Jacket. I'm thankful i got to see them.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    I wasn't in anyway complaining about the shows from this tour or the shows that i have ever seen.

it would just be nice to get 2 beefy sets.

to be fair, kings of leon and ted leo= meh

but i am glad pearl jam keeps touring and gave the fans on the east coast this nice little tour. I saw Kings X rock the house once in st.pete, but i would have prefered an extra 45 mins of pearl jam.

they just seem to have a forumulatic way of making their setlists...

on a 2 night run at the same venue, they shouldn't be repeating any songs..but that is a different topic for a different day.

i guess they can and will play whatever they want whenever they want to.

I LOVE PEARL JAM!!!
    12-31-92- NYC Academy
    3-29-94- St.Pete
    10-7-96- West Palm Beach
    8-14-2000- New Orleans
    4-13-2003- Tampa
    5-4-06- Ed Sullivan Theater
    5-12-06- Albany
    5-28-06- Camden
    6-1-06- Meadowlands
    6-3-06- Meadowlands
    6-24-08- MSG
    6-25-08-MSG
    7-1-08- Beacon Theater
  • Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871

they just seem to have a forumulatic way of making their setlists...

on a 2 night run at the same venue, they shouldn't be repeating any songs..but that is a different topic for a different day.

I see a flaw in that logic. Although many of 'hardcore' PJ freaks would soil themselves in excitement if there were no repeats, there are always people who might only catch one of the two shows and they'd be upset if some of the hits weren't played.

Pearl Jam realises that there are a lot of casual fans in the audience as well who won't want to go to both or can't afford to go to both, so they band is also providing for those people and shouldn't just cater to the hardcore fans all the time. I think the band does pretty well in giving us all something each and every show.

Plus, i wouldn't want a setlist of pure rarities. You HAVE to have the staples, it gives the setlist structure and some guaranteed peaks each night. I'd be upset if i went to a show and didn't hear DTE or Given To Fly.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."