Options

NYC Airports?

spinDrAtlspinDrAtl Posts: 109
edited May 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Does it really make much difference whether flying into JFK, LGA, or Newark? I'd be taking a cab somewhere into Manhatten. Thanks.
So this is what it's like to be an adult.

Atlanta 4-3-94,Charleston 10-5-96
Atlanta 8-7-00,Atlanta 4-19-03
Vegas 6-6-03,Vegas 7-6-06
Chicago Vic 8-2-07,Columbia 6-16-08
MSG I 6-24-08, Philadelphia 10-31-09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    well my plan is to fly from London to JFK, where you get a train to Jamaica centre then get a subway to penn station.

But thats what im doing, if you got the money then get a taxi ;p

I dont think that helps you, but oh well ;p
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 469
    spinDrAtl wrote:
    Does it really make much difference whether flying into JFK, LGA, or Newark? I'd be taking a cab somewhere into Manhatten. Thanks.

LaGuardia is closer to the city then the others and you'll hit less traffic

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    if you are staying in Manhattan i would recommend flying into LaGuardia or JFK... the cab or bus ride is less expensive than from Newark... however, if you need to go to Newark, you can take a bus... a cab may be more expensive from there... the distance from all 3 airports to Manhattan is about the same though.
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Fly into Newark, everyone should get to do that once!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    I BrisK I wrote:
    well my plan is to fly from London to JFK, where you get a train to Jamaica centre then get a subway to penn station.

thats what i am doing as well, but flying from Sydney, and then from Penn station, jumping on a train to philly, a cab to hotel, dump my bag, then cab to camden! rock out, boat back to philly, beer, philly cheesesteak, bed, then bus to DC! :D
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    I'm in love with you.
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    thats what i am doing as well, but flying from Sydney, and then from Penn station, jumping on a train to philly, a cab to hotel, dump my bag, then cab to camden! rock out, boat back to philly, beer, philly cheesesteak, bed, then bus to DC! :D

;p

how long is a fligh from sydney to NY?
  • Options
    triangleman12triangleman12 Posts: 193
    boat back to philly, beer, philly cheesesteak, bed, then bus to DC! :D

I recommend Jim's Steaks on South Street! Whiz with peppers, yum :)
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    ;p

how long is a fligh from sydney to NY?

20 hours i think!! including 1 hour stopover in tahiti!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,

• Options
    20 hours i think!! including 1 hour stopover in tahiti!

bloody hell, i thought 8 was a lot.

speaking of airports... how would one get from hartford to jfk airport or boston to jfk airport?
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    Go Laguardia in terms of time/cost to get into the city. 20'ish cab fare. JFK has a flat rate of somewhere around 45, but has better people watching :-)
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    bloody hell, i thought 8 was a lot.

speaking of airports... how would one get from hartford to jfk airport or boston to jfk airport?

I am either getting the bolt bus from boston on july 2 for $1 or vanning it with babs on july 1....

not sure

are you coming for sure>???
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,

• Options
    I am either getting the bolt bus from boston on july 2 for $1 or vanning it with babs on july 1....

not sure

are you coming for sure>???

yes def doing up to hartford.. just need to find some funds for the last 2 ;p

but that sounds like a plan to hook up with you for that journey ;p
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I BrisK I wrote:

this is good plan if you are not carrying many bags
    and I think the Long Island railroad into penn might be easier-Im not sure if the subway is at the same location
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    spinDrAtl wrote:

newark is farther-and I think there is amtrack or NJ transit service to penn now
    lga is closer
    JFK-the traffic can be a bitch
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    LGA is the closest and cheapest to get to by cab, BUT...

It has the worst flight delays in the universe. I've actually had a plane go back to airside to refuel because we had waited in line to take off so long.
    So I avoid LGA during peak travel times and pay the extra fare to JFK and Jet Blue.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    yes def doing up to hartford.. just need to find some funds for the last 2 ;p

but that sounds like a plan to hook up with you for that journey ;p

from NYC to boston we will be driving. but there are some pretty cheap buses available.
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,

• Options
    88keys88keys Posts: 151
    spinDrAtl wrote:

I live in Queens, NY and have much experience with both airports. I would suggest JFK over LaGuardia. LGA is little closer to the city than JFK, but it is a far less reliable airport.... more delays and less flights. Also, JFK has subway access to the city via the AirTrain (will bring you to the E or A line which go right to MSG... E is a faster). If you want a third option, I would suggest Islip airport on Long Island before Newark. It's right by the Long Island Railroad which brings you to Penn Station... which is directly under MSG. Taking the subway or the Long Island Railroad is much cheaper than a cab would be.
    Camden 8/28/1998; Jones Beach 8/24/2000; Camden 9/1/2000; Camden 9/2/2000; Albany 4/29/2003; New York 7/8/2003; Vancouver 9/2/2005; Atlantic City 10/1/2005; Albany 5/12/2006; E. Rutherford 6/1/2006; E. Rutherford 6/3/2006; New York 6/24/2008; New York 6/25/2008; New York 5/20/2010
  • Options
    given2fleyegiven2fleye Posts: 47
    spinDrAtl wrote:

all 3 airports are crazy busy.....laguardia is the most proximal so i suspect the cab ride will be the least....however if u fly to jfk you can train-it into the city. i suppose u r coming from atlanta so you'll have plenty of options-prob best to look at delta or continental, unless you are piloting your own Gulfstream :)

You wouldn't by chance have an extra for night two?? i could trade an excellent seat for night one or buy it. pm me if you do. good luck

hugh
    if hope could grow from dirt like me.....

"well I know for sure that if we met up eye-to-eye....a little wine would bring us closer...you and I"...Pete Townshend
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    i'm flying into JFK from MIA (miami) ...
    and plan on taking the subway into the city :)

i've taken a bus into the city as well from JFK.

here's a helpful site...

http://www.trips123.com/
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    88keys wrote:
    If you want a third option, I would suggest Islip airport on Long Island before Newark. It's right by the Long Island Railroad which brings you to Penn Station... which is directly under MSG. Taking the subway or the Long Island Railroad is much cheaper than a cab would be.

Just gotta disagree with you there.

The bus is a good option from Newark at $25 roundtrip and it takes just 25 minutes. Riding the LIRR into the city from Islip is an 80 minute ride for about the same price (depending on when you travel). The bus takes you to Port Authority, so it's a quick cab or one stop on the subway to MSG. But I'm guessing most people flying in will check into a hotel first anyway.

After paying to fly and then paying NYC hotel prices, I maximize my time in Manhattan. No way am I going to spend it taking trains back and forth to Ronkonkoma.
  • Options
    Thanks all. I think I am going to fly into JFK and take the train.

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Fly into Newark, everyone should get to do that once!

I do that most of the time I fly into NYC. You can catch the train right there at the airport, and it will take you all the way to Penn Station. Takes about 20 minutes. As far as I know (and you NYC'ers can correct me if I'm wrong), the subway doesn't go to JFK or LaGuardia ... you have to take a bus to the station.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Well, I got hosed by Delta and couldn't get a reasonably priced flight into JFK early enough in the day on the 24th so I am flying into LGA. Best way to get into Manhatten?

• Options
    NiteLite10NiteLite10 Posts: 144
    I disagree with the people who say JFK is the easiest. For some reason I usually prefer Newark. It is way faster to get to Manhattan from Newark than JFK. Quicker bus ride definitely... and they have a train option now too (AirTran to NJ Transit I think). LaGuardia is definitely the closest but I think a cab is pretty much your only choice. There may be local buses but I don't know anything about that. .. or cab/bus to a subway station I guess. At approx $20 for a cab it's probably just worth spending. (at least it used to be $20 --- is it still??)

I'm flying into Newark and I'm going to try the train option to the city. (i've done it before but it's been a while)
  • Options
    NiteLite10NiteLite10 Posts: 144
    I do that most of the time I fly into NYC. You can catch the train right there at the airport, and it will take you all the way to Penn Station. Takes about 20 minutes. As far as I know (and you NYC'ers can correct me if I'm wrong), the subway doesn't go to JFK or LaGuardia ... you have to take a bus to the station.

They built an AirTran at JFK that takes you to the train station now. I took it last time I flew to JFK in 2006.
  • Options
    spinDrAtl wrote:
    Well, I got hosed by Delta and couldn't get a reasonably priced flight into JFK early enough in the day on the 24th so I am flying into LGA. Best way to get into Manhatten?

http://www.carmellimo.com

Reasonable rates to Manhattan ($28 before 8PM) and you'll have a car waiting for you.