Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,971
    Gold there
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,301
    eboweddie said:
    Any idea what was said about Mike
    He said something to the effect of, “Don’t fall off the stage again Mike.” I couldn’t believe it. Ed rightly chastised him after that. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    steven87 said:
    eboweddie said:
    Any idea what was said about Mike
    He said something to the effect of, “Don’t fall off the stage again Mike.” I couldn’t believe it. Ed rightly chastised him after that. 

I think I would just about die if Eddie Vedder told me to go fuck myself for something I said during a show, especially if I was then shown on the big screen for 20,000 people to see, lol. I'm not sure I'd ever quite get over it.... but I guess that guy learned a lesson from it, haha.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Wilco87Wilco87 Posts: 41
    edited May 10

In playing the "What song will the band open with?" amongst those in my area, for Night 1, I went with The Long Road.
    In playing the "What song will the band open with?" amongst those in my area, for Night 2, I went with Nothingman.

So close. Off by 1 show and then 1 song.

The Long Road has been my "white whale" for over 15 years. Show #13 for the Band plus 1 solo Ed performance, I can now cross it off the list.

It is now replaced by Swallowed Whole.
    Post edited by Wilco87 on
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,577
    Wilco87 said:

In playing the "What song will the band open with?" amongst those in my area, for Night 1, I went with The Long Road.
    In playing the "What song will the band open with?" amongst those in my area, for Night 2, I went with Nothingman.

So close. Off by 1 show and then 1 song.

The Long Road has been my "white whale" for over 15 years. Show #13 for the Band plus 1 solo Ed performance, I can now cross it off the list.

It is now replaced by Swallowed Whole.
    Something very special about opening with Long Road
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    Overall, better set then N1 -despite the missing deep cut track in N2.... fantastic energy from the crowd. The crowds singing felt louder, could have been the song selection. 

At the end of the day... N1 still gets the nod for better show. The same stuff in the same slots is a real mood killer. Felt like a tool show where I knew the whole set after the first 4 songs. Not a single plot twist Until Smile that was a different spot after Alive instead of before.

DM is so good though. Loving how they sound
    Alone isn’t a deep cut or plot twist? Man, it was my 103rd PJ show and I was thrilled with the setlist. Alone is not only a deep cut but a brilliant song, I was fine with Down getting cut (I do not understand the love for Down or Undone), and In Hiding is a showmaker for me since it’s in my top 5 songs. Add Immoryality in the 3-hole and Quick Escape…I’ll take it! Agree that so many DM songs does kill the energy a bit and I just am not into Upper Hand yet. Stevie in that spot would have helped and I love Won’t Tell but that wouldn’t have helped the energy. 
    I suppose it is good reminder on that one. This is why a review from the airport isn't great 🤷‍♂️
    The first 4 had already made it a great show for me, then Quick Escape (I would also love to see Retro, DOTC, Seven O Clock, Superblood and Alright remain in the rotation) but Alone made N2 the winner over N1. 
    In Hiding probably is a top-five song for me, too, and I think Immortality is my favorite live song, so, yeah, any show that has both of those songs is an awesome show for me.
    In Hiding, I loved the silhouettes.

• Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,301
    Wilco87 said:
    Overall, better set then N1 -despite the missing deep cut track in N2.... fantastic energy from the crowd. The crowds singing felt louder, could have been the song selection. 

At the end of the day... N1 still gets the nod for better show. The same stuff in the same slots is a real mood killer. Felt like a tool show where I knew the whole set after the first 4 songs. Not a single plot twist Until Smile that was a different spot after Alive instead of before.

Alone isn’t a deep cut or plot twist? Man, it was my 103rd PJ show and I was thrilled with the setlist. Alone is not only a deep cut but a brilliant song, I was fine with Down getting cut (I do not understand the love for Down or Undone), and In Hiding is a showmaker for me since it’s in my top 5 songs. Add Immoryality in the 3-hole and Quick Escape…I’ll take it! Agree that so many DM songs does kill the energy a bit and I just am not into Upper Hand yet. Stevie in that spot would have helped and I love Won’t Tell but that wouldn’t have helped the energy. 
    I suppose it is good reminder on that one. This is why a review from the airport isn't great 🤷‍♂️
    The first 4 had already made it a great show for me, then Quick Escape (I would also love to see Retro, DOTC, Seven O Clock, Superblood and Alright remain in the rotation) but Alone made N2 the winner over N1. 
    In Hiding probably is a top-five song for me, too, and I think Immortality is my favorite live song, so, yeah, any show that has both of those songs is an awesome show for me.

Same. Such fitting visuals for the song. I felt like the visuals made in hiding come across even more powerful than it normally does (and that’s saying a lot cause it’s a top 5 song for me). 
  • Options
    edited May 13
    steven87 said:
    Wilco87 said:

Same. Such fitting visuals for the song. I felt like the visuals made in hiding come across even more powerful than it normally does (and that’s saying a lot cause it’s a top 5 song for me). 
    It's not quite a Top 5 song for me, but it's up there as I think Yield has evolved to be my favorite PJ album.

I was really happy they played it because In Hiding sort of became my mantra in 2020 starting that March, as multiple shows I was planning on traveling to attend were postponed/cancelled (including PJ in Nashville).

Also, I missed the majority of the song in 2018 at Home Show #2 when I had to make a run to the restroom. Also got it at St Paul #2, so all good now. Surprised it's only been played 5 times this decade, less than 100 overall.
    Post edited by Wilco87 on
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 276
    Show was incredible.
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24
    Noblesville 8-26-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,244
    Great shots
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    MM188016MM188016 Posts: 34

Night 2 found me sitting 2nd row side stage, an arm’s length from the front of the pit, Stone side.

Completely taken off guard by the Long Road opener. Haven’t seen this one open a show in 20 years! Such a beautiful version. Immediately into Nothingman, Immortality and In Hiding. Wow. What a first four songs. Nothingman, Immortality and In Hiding are all among my absolute favourites and In Hiding has been my white whale for many years. That song spent a long time as my top PJ tune and couldn’t believe my ears when they started to play it. The silhouettes on the screen for this one was really fitting as well. I couldn’t have asked for a better first four songs to kick off this show. I was just floored. The speech about all of us being in the presence of the best drummer of our time and of all time was awesome 😊

The four DM songs were great again. React Respond really sticking out to me as the one that kills live. And they look like they’re having so much fun playing this one. Crowd reaction to RR was really great too, I think we fed off the energy and the enjoyment coming from the stage and the way they slayed it.

Wishlist is nice but not my favourite song to see live. Even Flow was great and had a super view out over the Pit for it. Quick Escape was a nice surprise! My favourite track from Gigaton and love watching Jeff during this one. So much fun. Upper Hand is becoming a definite top tier PJ song for me. Love how it translates live. The build-up, the chorus, the outro. It’s just so, so good. Got to Give was really great too. Ed’s delivery was spot on – sounded great! This one, like many DM songs, is fantastic live. Ed admitting his fuck up on Red Mosquito on Night 1 was hilarious. “It was all me baby and I’m so sorry”. Getting the crowd to boo him lol. So good. Running falls a tiny bit flat live compared to the record for me, one of the few songs that does. Jeremy is probably the “hit” I most enjoy seeing live. It’s soaring, the crowd reaction is amazing, love watching Jeff on this one too. The focus on Jeff on the big screen for those final notes was really cool. Ed right out into the crowd for this one. Betterman was a great version with a great call and answer with the crowd and a little Save it for Later tag, a lot of energy in this version.

Encore staring with Keep Me In Your Heart was a big surprise for me. Love this cover so much and have been watching Ed on YouTube for years do this one. Don’t think it’s ever been played proper at a PJ show before? Just the break when the sound went down at The Apollo as for as I can remember. Feel very lucky to have seen this and it was beautiful. Why Go got things going as it always does! DTE cool with different visuals than Night 1. And then…the opening notes to Alone!!! OMG just floored. I was in disbelief. Another white whale for me that I never thought I’d get to see. Long one of my favourite songs. And they killed it! Alive a little too predictable but always fun to watch the crowd reaction. Baba felt great coming next and the energy in the arena felt off the charts. Ed passing the wine bottle (the one filled with Gatorade I assume) to Ryan, the kid on his Dad’s shoulders, and bringing up front was hilarious.  Smile to close the set was superb – love watching Stone rock the bass and Jeff over on our side rocking the guitar haha. And then Setting Sun to close the night was once again amazing. Love this addition to end the set for this tour. Such a great, great song.

Overall, loved the N2 setlist more and got several songs on my bucket list! That first four song run was just incredible, plus Keep Me in YOUR Heart, Alone, Smile. C’mon. This was a really great show. Night 1 was great too, especially the energy and excitement of seeing them for the first time on the DM tour, hearing all those songs for the first time. But I gotta give the edge to N2 based on setlist and personal preference. So happy I did this solo trip across the country and can’t wait for MSG and Philly in September!!

• Options
    MM188016 said:

Love this cover so much and have been watching Ed on YouTube for years do this one. Don’t think it’s ever been played proper at a PJ show before? Just the break when the sound went down at The Apollo as for as I can remember. Feel very lucky to have seen this and it was beautiful.

PJ Database indicates it is the one and only performance for Keep Me In Your Heart during proper show, glad I was there for it.

https://pearljam.com/music/song/keep-me-in-your-heart

Ranks up there with seeing Ed play Don't Be Shy at Ohana in 2021 for me.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Wilco87 said:
    MM188016 said:

Love this cover so much and have been watching Ed on YouTube for years do this one. Don’t think it’s ever been played proper at a PJ show before? Just the break when the sound went down at The Apollo as for as I can remember. Feel very lucky to have seen this and it was beautiful.

PJ Database indicates it is the one and only performance for Keep Me In Your Heart during proper show, glad I was there for it.

I Saw Ed play The Golden State w/ Corin Tucker in Ridgefield 2009. Another Xmas Single rarity thats only been played once.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,335
    Wilco87 said:
    MM188016 said:

I got that one in Boise, I love that cover :)
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Wilco87 said:
    MM188016 said:

I got that one in Boise, I love that cover :)
    Nice. Don't Be Shy was one of the first things I found when I went down YouTube rabbit holes in 2007, when my EV/PJ fandom was reignited following Into the Wild. Even YouTube was in it's infancy.

To see it finally live/in person at Dana Point '21 really gave me chills. Love the cover, the original as well as the movie & soundtrack it appeared on (Harold and Maude).