Options

Anyone else feel like you were babysitting last night??

BearsfirehawkBearsfirehawk Posts: 83
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
DAMM, I am 34, been rocking out with PJ since day 1, been to over 20 shows, and I Never ever saw what I saw last night. I am all for spreading the fan base out and keeping things alive, but it was high school night last night. MANY MANY underage drunk shirtless fucks walking around doing stupid shit. I dont feel old really, but looking at 19 year olds at a PJ show is kinda wierd. Maybe IM a nut, but when did the PJ revolution start over? Oh well, I had no trouble at the show like we did in 06 so I guess alls well that ends well.
Tell the Captain the boats not safe were drowning, turns out he's the one making waves.

9/29/96~9/10/98~9/11/98~8/24/00~8/25/00~4/30/03~7/08/03~7/09/03~9/15/05~9/16/05~10/1/05~5/5/06~5/12/06~5/13/06~5/27/06~5/28/06~6/1/06~6/3/06~6~19/08~6/24/08~6/25/08~6/27/08~8/5/08~10/30/09~10/31/09~5/20/10~5/21/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    marjenmarjen CT Posts: 804
    I saw at least 5-10 people just walking by our section that literally could not stand up they were so drunk. It was pretty bad. I have no issue with drinking at a show, hell I had 4-5 beers myself over the course of the evening but to just get stupid drunk and probably miss parts of the show puking or blacking out doesn't make much sense. Hope everyone made it home safe.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    marjen wrote:
    I saw at least 5-10 people just walking by our section that literally could not stand up they were so drunk. It was pretty bad. I have no issue with drinking at a show, hell I had 4-5 beers myself over the course of the evening but to just get stupid drunk and probably miss parts of the show puking or blacking out doesn't make much sense. Hope everyone made it home safe.
    I bet these are the same people who also were tailgating for way too long and missed the 1st 6-7 songs
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    PearlybakerPearlybaker Posts: 207
    This is the Hartford way. Every concert I've ever gone to for the last 20 years in Hartford is like this.

I think it's all the prep schools and the fact that nothing ever happens in Hartford. 2006 was so bad I vowed to never return to Hartford.
    "Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    This is the price we have to pay to live in a open society. At the DC show, there were 4-5 guys in front of me all over 6-2 tall. I'm 5'10 and I had to adjust my viewing angle the entire show. Not to mention, one of the guys took 157 pictures and constantly turned around egging the crowd on.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    All these posts are another good reason to be thankful for TenClub tickets, where usually you get to sit with like minded fans who are really there to watch and listen to the show, but there's always exceptions, and even the fan club seating area gets it's share of insurgents, but overall it really makes you appreciate the serious Pearl Jam fan as opposed to the drunken frat boys who have totally different priorities
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,508
    Ive never been to the east coast before this tour.

I went to Virginia Beach, camden I and II, and DC.

By far the Camden I and II and DC shows, I saw more drunks there than I ever have in my life. Ive been to 30+ shows, mostly midwest, and have never seen so many drunks, people pissing in their seats, people falling down, etc.

I want sure if it was a regional thing, or the fact that it is summer so more younger people could go, or if it was something else. Just an observation.

And to be honest, I couldnt tell you much about thr crowd at VA beach, becasue I was front row. :D Didnt really pay attention to the crowd, other than when I was in the parking lot. And saw some people pissing there.

Whatever, not a big deal, just dont get it on me. :)
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    I totally was babysitting my soon to be 37 year old last night. 1 too many cocktails in the parking lot. Working full time, taking 2 college courses which she got A's in both. It was her first weekend in a long time that she could "relax" but a little too much of a good thing.

We did not miss any of the show. we were not in the parking lot that long. However I know i had to pull her out of the venue a couple of times in fear she would had puked before the band went on. All's well tho. She made it. Perhaps pissed off a few people since she was dancing like a freak but so what it's her show too. At least she didn't puke on them. I tried to keep her away from the bulk.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    spearhead wrote:
    All these posts are another good reason to be thankful for TenClub tickets, where usually you get to sit with like minded fans who are really there to watch and listen to the show, but there's always exceptions, and even the fan club seating area gets it's share of insurgents, but overall it really makes you appreciate the serious Pearl Jam fan as opposed to the drunken frat boys who have totally different priorities
    agreed but there were a lot of douche this show in the ten club sections; I had 13th row center and all these drunks that didn't really know the PJ catalog were there. I definitely think there was some selling of tickets going on.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    The east definitely has more drunks and machismo frat boy dicks than back west, at least the shows I've seen compared to the Gorge, etc.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    LukinFan wrote:
    I bet these are the same people who also were tailgating for way too long and missed the 1st 6-7 songs

And then bitched about it ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    DAMM, I am 34, been rocking out with PJ since day 1, been to over 20 shows, and I Never ever saw what I saw last night. I am all for spreading the fan base out and keeping things alive, but it was high school night last night. MANY MANY underage drunk shirtless fucks walking around doing stupid shit. I dont feel old really, but looking at 19 year olds at a PJ show is kinda wierd. Maybe IM a nut, but when did the PJ revolution start over? Oh well, I had no trouble at the show like we did in 06 so I guess alls well that ends well.

Drunk kids at a rock concert? What is this world coming too!

Seriously, fuck off.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    And then bitched about it ...
    Exactly! :)

By the way- sweet name
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    kineticjamkineticjam Posts: 154
    I'm 29 and I think it's great that young people are getting into Pearl Jam. They should be. They are amazing! I wish I could go see the Doors, or Zepplin.
  • Options
    Stryker420 wrote:

Seriously, fuck off.

Couldn't agree with you more. I've yet to see a show sober be it in my teens or my 30's. At least on this tour I haven't been next to some hyper sensitive loser whining that my hoping around is going to ding his poster.
    Jones Beach 8/25/00
    Albany 4/29/03 
    MSG 7/9/03
    Chicago 5/16/06
    Denver 7/3/06
    Vegas 7/6/06
    The Vic 8/2/07
    MSG 6/24/08
    MSG 6/25/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Phoenix 5/9/2022
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Interesting points. I ask this question, I'm assuming the majority of the 10C members who were up close to the stage are in their 30s. The people I saw ahead of me at the DC were young 20s, etc. I know the ticket system this year was different - lottery, but I wonder how these people were able to get such close seats. I guess I'm in the boat where going to a PJam show is a once every 2-3 year experience and one would assume you would want to be somewhat sober and coherant to enjoy the show and not act like a complete clown so others around you can do the same. I literally saw one guy smack a little woman who was behind him cause his arms was swinging around so much.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    i am 15 and was there last night, but wasnt drinking or acting like a jackass :)
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,508
    Stryker420 wrote:

Seriously, fuck off.

haha, I know.....:)

As if that is completely out of the realm of possibility.

I think the only thing I ever have problems with at a show is:

1. If someone pisses on me.
    2. If someone lands on my head.

Everything else is to be expected.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    I was at Plant/Krauss at the Greek last night in Berkeley. At 41, I was among the younger generation of THAT crowd! heheheh.

And yeah, a drunk ol' freaker puked in the seats next to us and the lady behind us spiller her beer which then water-falled down the concrete slab seats.

Lovely crowd! (But wow, that Krauss has some PIPES! Amazing Black Dog and I'm in the Mood among many spectacular songs.)
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    Stryker420 wrote:

Seriously, fuck off.

Drunk is one thing, acting like a complete fucking tool, fighting throwing bottles, falling down is white trash horse shit. I guess that was you last night since you seem so defensive. So why dont you fuck off and grow up and get control of your life.
    Tell the Captain the boats not safe were drowning, turns out he's the one making waves.

9/29/96~9/10/98~9/11/98~8/24/00~8/25/00~4/30/03~7/08/03~7/09/03~9/15/05~9/16/05~10/1/05~5/5/06~5/12/06~5/13/06~5/27/06~5/28/06~6/1/06~6/3/06~6~19/08~6/24/08~6/25/08~6/27/08~8/5/08~10/30/09~10/31/09~5/20/10~5/21/10
  • Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stryker420

Seriously, fuck off.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Quote:
    Couldn't agree with you more. I've yet to see a show sober be it in my teens or my 30's. At least on this tour I haven't been next to some hyper sensitive loser whining that my hoping around is going to ding his poster.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Nobody here is saying we don't want kids, or drinking, or even drunks, just don't throw up on me and don't ruin it for anyone else ... have a little fucking consideration for other people ... that is not a square thing or a dickhead thing to ask of people. Nobody likes drinking or getting high at a Pearl Jam show more than me but please be considerate of others.
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    tomtintomtin Posts: 48

I guess it is kinda weird but I think it's cool the younger kids are digging pearl jam. What kind of trouble did you have in 06?
    I'm the first mammal to wear pants, yeah
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492

I'm 18, and have always liked Pearl Jam. It's just this past couple of years that i've started to get really into them. I graduated high school, but for the most part high school kids don't really dig Pearl Jam. I guess it's just a few. Also, there are some kids my age who go to concerts just for the tailgating and beers, which is pathetic because some people really like to enjoy their experiences. I can guarantee that the majority of piss drunk teenagers aren't there for the performance. It's more so that they can say they went, and they went drunk. Sorry... :(
  • Options
    Drunk is one thing, acting like a complete fucking tool, fighting throwing bottles, falling down is white trash horse shit. I guess that was you last night since you seem so defensive. So why dont you fuck off and grow up and get control of your life.

I'm 30 years old and have a 3 year-old son. I don't get drunk at shows, but when I buy a ticket to a rock concert I know what to expect. I'm not condoning drunken stupidity, but I'm also not naive enough to think that that shit isn't going to happen. It's not a fucking church BBQ. Also, we should consider ourselves lucky. Compared to other rock bands, PJ shows are pretty tame. Quit fucking crying or quit going to shows.

And again, fuck off.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153

did the 19 year old guys have a nice cut to their 6 pack abdomens? big shoulders? a tan? or were they blubbery?
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    obiwon76 wrote:
    Interesting points. I ask this question, I'm assuming the majority of the 10C members who were up close to the stage are in their 30s.

some people in the second row in VA beach were old enough to be a Grandma -- that's me, except I'm childless.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    And I guess the reason I sound defensive is because I'm just sick to death of people bitching about the same shit every tour. If these people spent half the amount of energy appreciating the show that they do bitching about this; that; and the other thing, I'm sure they would have a better time.

I just find it funny(in a ridiculous kind of way) that these people are crying about drunks at the show. Yet they go to see a band whose lead singer is drunk on stage half the time. Some other thread some guy had sand in his vagina because he brought his kid to the show and Eddie was talking about joints and drinking, and people were smoking up in the crowd. Come the fuck on. Just because you people grow up to be little bitches doesn't mean Pearl Jam or the rest of the world has to change along with you. The same guy was also bitching about Eddie's political rambling. Again, this is something you should probably come to expect from PJ shows by now. If not, you(much less you little kid) really do not belong at a Pearl Jam concert.

Next tour I most definitely plan on bringing my kid. That being said, I know I can expect him to see alcohol consumption, weed being smoked, and copious use of the word "Fuck." And you know what? I'm ok with that because I'm pretty confident he'll turn out just fine in spite of all that.
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    Stryker420 wrote:
    And I guess the reason I sound defensive is because I'm just sick to death of people bitching about the same shit every tour. If these people spent half the amount of energy appreciating the show that they do bitching about this; that; and the other thing, I'm sure they would have a better time.

I just find it funny(in a ridiculous kind of way) that these people are crying about drunks at the show. Yet they go to see a band whose lead singer is drunk on stage half the time. Some other thread some guy had sand in his vagina because he brought his kid to the show and Eddie was talking about joints and drinking, and people were smoking up in the crowd. Come the fuck on. Just because you people grow up to be little bitches doesn't mean Pearl Jam or the rest of the world has to change along with you. The same guy was also bitching about Eddie's political rambling. Again, this is something you should probably come to expect from PJ shows by now. If not, you(much less you little kid) really do not belong at a Pearl Jam concert.

Next tour I most definitely plan on bringing my kid. That being said, I know I can expect him to see alcohol consumption, weed being smoked, and copious use of the word "Fuck." And you know what? I'm ok with that because I'm pretty confident he'll turn out just fine in spite of all that.
    Well said. Also, I try to stay away from controversy on this site, but I have to agree with you on the part where some people seem to constantly rant about things that happened in the crowd. I understand that some things may be annoying, but you're attending a Pearl Jam show, pay attention to Pearl Jam! I feel like there are tons of people here that take their shows for granted. Just appreciate it and live for the moment. :)
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,287
    Stryker420 wrote:

We told our kids what to expect beforehand; we explained that this is what happens at rock concerts, so just relax (my older son has OCD and freaks out about smoking).

The guy in front of us asked my husband if it was okay to smoke before he lit up. We appreciated the thoughtfulness, but frankly I think my husband would have been disappointed if he went to a rock concert and nobody was smoking dope. :-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    brainofjbbrainofjb Boston Posts: 381

funny, last night was the first night I was not surrounded by all that.
    it was great!!!
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • Options
    Whatever no real point in arguing. Some people have class and brains and others dont. I guess since they paid their admission fee they can ruin shit for other. All that really matters for me is that I had no trouble, but it was around. Enjoy the long layoff till the next tour and bitchfest.