Options

*** VANCOUVER 2 - 2024 SETLIST THREAD ***

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 274
    No issue with them playing repeats from DM.  It’s the first two shows of the tour and the album is 3 weeks old.  

Was in the pit and they seemed to be having a blast.  Good energy and they still sound amazing. 

Ed worked the crowd well.  

I think they are leaning into some old favorites for comfort knowing the new songs probably chew up rehearsals.  I bet the Europe shows have a more modern feel to the sets.  

Other than merch being out of most things in common sizes it was a great night.  
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24
    Noblesville 8-26-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,535
    JBob87 said:
    I think the repeat complaints are valid. Don’t remember them doing this before on a new album tour at the same venue.
    They did it for all of the early albums. I have every 2000 bootleg and it's "Grievance," "Insignificance," "Nothing As It Seems," "Light Years," etc., pretty much every night.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,679
    JBob87 said:
    I think the repeat complaints are valid. Don’t remember them doing this before on a new album tour at the same venue.
    I dont remember them putting out an album this good either. I'm only going to make it to one show on the tour. It will be my 22nd. I hope they play the whole album. I'm actually relieved to see dark matter repeats, because I'm going to 1 of a 2 night stand.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,319
    They did with Gigaton.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,302
    I dont mind the repeats necessarily but.... i didnt expect 8 out of 9 plus DTE plus alive were repeated. Nearly 50% of the show. I didn't expect the same exact order which was the bigger let down...when you don't have to guess what's next it takes a lot of the joy of that spontaneous feeling of wow. 

If this is the result of the visualizers they can shit can them tomorrow and just use the screen for showing crowd/band 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,178
    It may stop people doing multiple shows 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,876
    I dont mind the repeats necessarily but.... i didnt expect 8 out of 9 plus DTE plus alive were repeated. Nearly 50% of the show. I didn't expect the same exact order which was the bigger let down...when you don't have to guess what's next it takes a lot of the joy of that spontaneous feeling of wow. 

If this is the result of the visualizers they can shit can them tomorrow and just use the screen for showing crowd/band 
    I don’t think any fan expects that many repeats when buying tickets to multiple shows to see Pj. I saw all 8 u2 shows at msg in 2015 and had the time of my life. I fully expected the same set. This is a little different obviously. Shorter sets, more repeats, screens:….. I dont think they maintain this all year though. I hope not. 
  • Options
    It may stop people doing multiple shows 
    I'm going to see where it goes, and have both Vegas, but it may make me reconsider a few of my feature shows if it continues. I am probably stretching myself too thin this year as it is.

I know I would love being at the shows regardless, but different setlists are what bring most of us back over and over. The repeats plus the same order of some songs takes a lot of that away.

These sets by themselves have been just fine, even really good, but if you combine them if four, five, six or more shows they may not be as great. But the atmosphere and being around the fans and the band won't change, so it still may be worth it overall. Like I said, we'll see where it goes. 
  • Options
    LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 803
    Imagine if Gigaton would  have gotten same treatment - WES, SBWM, DOTC and QE in order.  *chef's kiss
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 666
    BF25394 said:
    yeehare said:
    We'll see where this goes, but don't love the same four songs played in a row two straight nights. Kind of cool on the opener but hope it doesn't become a thing.
    I'm totally with you - too many repeats from night 1 in this set. 
    Only two non-Dark Matter repeats. Dark Matter songs are immune from repeat complaints because they have never been played before. How can I mind hearing a song twice when it has only ever been played twice?
    100% agree. 
    Plus I like that 4 song sequence and Setting Sun, A LOT.  I hope I get that at my shows.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,319
    If memory serves, the spring leg of the Gigaton (2022) tour was heavy on the new album with Porch, Alive, etc and a few deep cuts. Fall shows were a lot more varied. (I went to San Diego, both LA shows, MSG and Denver)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    I went to both Ohana Encores in 2021 and Phoenix in spring 2022, and they played six, five, and four, respectively, from Gigaton. They played four, four, and three in the shows I saw in fall 2022.

I said it before, I don't care if they go nuts on this album. I like it. I would rather have variety. I'd love to hear the whole thing in Vegas next week over the two shows. But I think it is weird for them to do the same four in the same order two shows in row. I hope that doesn't become a thing. 
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,396
    I went to both Ohana Encores in 2021 and Phoenix in spring 2022, and they played six, five, and four, respectively, from Gigaton. They played four, four, and three in the shows I saw in fall 2022.

I said it before, I don't care if they go nuts on this album. I like it. I would rather have variety. I'd love to hear the whole thing in Vegas next week over the two shows. But I think it is weird for them to do the same four in the same order two shows in row. I hope that doesn't become a thing. 
    It's a thing. They're not going to invest in the light show and screens and then not utilize it 
  • Options
    craigkrupski12craigkrupski12 Posts: 58
    Im worried the new screen/visuals is going to tie them down to more DM songs each set. I love Dark Matter but would love more variety TBH. Albeit we’re already spoiled with variety compared to other bands.
  • Options
    While I think it remains to be seen if the screen really is going to dictate some of this, I hope it doesn't. You'd think there are plenty of ways to use the technology to account for variety.
  • Options
    Hurls15Hurls15 Posts: 157
    While I think it remains to be seen if the screen really is going to dictate some of this, I hope it doesn't. You'd think there are plenty of ways to use the technology to account for variety.
    I would think.  However, I doubt we will see any change until after the first leg of the tour.  

I do wonder if dipping the toe in the big screen technology is testing the waters so to speak for a Sphere run at some point. 
  • Options
    marumarukomarumaruko Frankfurt / Calgary Posts: 111
    edited May 7
    One time I went to see a Japanese band on tour for 4 shows. They played 25 songs a night, heard exactly 28 different songs. What Pearl Jam give us is truly special. Even if there are more repeats than on the last 2 tours. They probably realized that some of the Gigaton songs didn't gel as well and they had Covid in between, so that's maybe why it was different then. Also Dark Matter is that good. Let em play. 
    Post edited by marumaruko on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,680
    edited May 7
    All I can say about these two shows with the repeats is that after both of them I definitely do not feel like attending no more shows because of the relative lack of variety. It made me want badly to attend as many as possible. Was I surprised they did that 4-song sequence again in the same place in the set list? Yeah. Did it make night 2 worse or make me less interested to do it all over again, and again? Absolutely not.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 931
    wasn't there, but a valid question. Is it odd at this point of their career and catalog to get DTE both nights, same venue and start of the tour? Of all songs available how does this get played back to back? I love it, just curious if I'm just dumb, which is very possible. 
  • Options
    DEGBTI said:
    wasn't there, but a valid question. Is it odd at this point of their career and catalog to get DTE both nights, same venue and start of the tour? Of all songs available how does this get played back to back? I love it, just curious if I'm just dumb, which is very possible. 
    It's a pretty common song so who knows. It was played just about every show in 2018, for example. It has been more of an every other since then. I think in the fanviews someone posted a shot of the video board of the song, so maybe it will be in the main rotation because of that. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,331
    I liked getting the new songs, so I expected a lot of repeats with them.  My disappointment, was they didn't play one less, then sub it with Waiting for Stevie, so bummed we didn't get that one in Vancouver.  Could of repeated one less song to get it in :(

Other than that, I dug the shows.  I felt there was a bit more energy on night 2 and dug that setlist a lot more.   Now I'm sad the shows are over :(
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,535

In between the beginning of the tour in 2022-- when they played eight songs from Gigaton-- and the fall shows, Matt got COVID and Josh and Richard couldn't play most of those songs in his stead, so the band got out of the habit of playing most of those songs. I think that's part of the reason why the fall shows were lighter on Gigaton than the spring shows and Ohana. Remember, the first night at Ohana, they came out and played four straight Gigaton songs, five out of the first six and six out of the first nine. And it was awesome. And it was only a 19-song set.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,361
    DTE is another one where they are using the screen.  The original video in super large size of everything.  This could explain the repetition.

Honestly I would be happy to hear DTE at every show until the end of time.  Alive, that I could take a break from.  It remains alone at 100% for me.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,361
    Also the fact that the DM portion of the show is repeated and there are fewer slots for variety available actually makes me want to hit more shows.  Like if I want to hear something like Inside Job, my odds aren’t good on a small number of shows.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    DeamonDeamon Posts: 166
    BF25394 said:
    Jonniegtr said:
    We'll see where this goes, but don't love the same four songs played in a row two straight nights. Kind of cool on the opener but hope it doesn't become a thing
    Look, I hear you, but I don’t care. They are INTO these songs and I’m stoked to see 9/11 on any given night. The debut of upper hand might have already become one of my favorite live performances I’ve heard from them. As long as they keep rotating in from all over the catalogue, I will be pleased to see the 12 shows I have ahead. I could see them scaling back maybe to 7-8 DM songs, but think it’ll be awhile before it’s less than that.
    I would have written that out as "nine out of eleven."

:o
    1998: Vancouver 7/19
    2005: Calgary 9/4
    2009: Calgary 8/8, San Diego 10/9
    2011: Calgary 9/21, Edmonton 9/23, Vancouver 9/25
    2012: Missoula 9/30
    2013: Calgary 12/2
    2014: Amsterdam1 6/16, Amsterdam2 6/17, Trieste 6/22, Berlin 6/26
    2016: Ottawa 5/8, Toronto 5/10, Toronto2 5/12
    2019: Dusseldorf 6/30 (EV)
    2022: Sacramento 5/18
    2024: Portland 5/10
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,331
    Also the fact that the DM portion of the show is repeated and there are fewer slots for variety available actually makes me want to hit more shows.  Like if I want to hear something like Inside Job, my odds aren’t good on a small number of shows.  
    Yah, play a bunch off the new album, some hits and favourites, doesn't leave many slots for rarities/covers.

It's not like the 2016 tour where they weren't touring for a new album, and played 3 hour+ sets from their archive of songs.  Hit so many white whales in that era :)

• Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 403
    Zod said:
    I liked getting the new songs, so I expected a lot of repeats with them.  My disappointment, was they didn't play one less, then sub it with Waiting for Stevie, so bummed we didn't get that one in Vancouver.  Could of repeated one less song to get it in :(

Other than that, I dug the shows.  I felt there was a bit more energy on night 2 and dug that setlist a lot more.   Now I'm sad the shows are over :(
    It’s gonna be interesting to see how the setlists look the rest of this leg. I won’t be surprised if it turns out we were pretty lucky to get to see a certain song or two from the new album played. I’m confident we’ll get to see Stevie in the future but not so sure about all the others. 
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,679
    ekwipt said:
    Zod said:

It’s gonna be interesting to see how the setlists look the rest of this leg. I won’t be surprised if it turns out we were pretty lucky to get to see a certain song or two from the new album played. I’m confident we’ll get to see Stevie in the future but not so sure about all the others. 
    I hope you're wrong. I actually think a lot of the songs from dark matter are going to become staples for the rest of the band's career. It's the best album they've ever made in my opinion.