Options

Setlist Order

Comments

• Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 523
    Hankj25 said:
    We got a lot (and I mean a lot) of 2000-2013 album run on the tours of 2016-2023.  I went to 7 shows in that timeframe and damn near got all of Lightning Bolt and Avacado.

I expect the shows will start to have more variance as they spend more time on the road.  But as someone else posted, this is a 24-25 set list band now, and you know at least 6 are going to be from the new album (which I think is a good number) and at least 6 are going to be from Ten and Vs.  

Last night I got In Hiding, which was one of my white whales, and I also got to hear Nothingman, which is one of my all time favorites.  So this fan came away pretty happy with what I spent my money on.
    In Hiding and Nothingman are absolute gems!  And don't forget about Smile  B)
  • Options
    Another CloneAnother Clone Posts: 22
    I'm fine with the Dark Matter songs in the setlist and want to hear those, just hoping for some variance in where they appear in the setlist.  Completely agree that we're spoiled as a fan base but was just surprised to see the same exact 4 songs in slots 5-8 on the setlist as I don't recall this happening before, especially not back to back shows in the same city.  Hopefully they'll spread those out at future shows to keep some of the surprise element (even when we know certain songs are coming, not knowing exactly when adds quite a bit to the show in my opinion).
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,813
    Video production elements, portions of the show with the same songs, ed coming out post encore with a solo song.

All brings vibes of the Eras tour.

350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019
    Four of the same songs in a row in the exact same spot in the setlist is pretty lame for pearl jam.  And ending both shows with the same song?  ugh.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,723
    I'm going to a personal record 5 shows this year and I really hope I don't become this jaded.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    I'm going to a personal record 5 shows this year and I really hope I don't become this jaded.
    I'm at 30 shows overall, 5 EV solo, and have 6 shows this tour.  I've hit the point where I'm happy to be there and don't mind shortened sets and repeats.  I've excepted that there are a few tracks I'll just never get live (and some have been played right before or right after a show I have attended, sometimes multiple times).  We can only expect so much from this band who has already been together 30 years! 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,941
    I'm at close to 50 shows now and still want to add to the 2 I'm going to this year. I'm fine hearing 7-8 DM songs on both nights. But I also want to hear Nothingman, and Present Tense, and Immortality, and Footsteps, and Chloe/Crown, and Faithfull, and Marker in the Sand, and Of the Girl, and Pendulum, and Insignificance.......you get the idea.  That's the beauty of these shows. You might know a 3rd of the songs going in, but you never know what else you might get on top of it. 

And I don't mind Alive, Betterman, Jeremy, Small Town, Corduroy, and some of the other staples. There's no better feeling than being in a crowd of thousands all singing and dancing to songs being played.  
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,810
    mcgruff10 said:
    Four of the same songs in a row in the exact same spot in the setlist is pretty lame for pearl jam.  And ending both shows with the same song?  ugh.  
    Lame? Ugh? These songs just frigging came out. They had never played them before! How can anyone be complaining about this? Most of the people there on Night 2 weren't even there on Night 1. I'm going to ten shows on this tour and if I heard these eleven new songs ten times each (no longer possible, I know), that would be amazing.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,377
    It's not about being jaded. I go to a lot of shows and Pearl Jam is one of an incredibly small number of bands I would see more than once on a tour. The reasons have historically been seniority ticketing privileges and the wildly varying setlists. If they're inching towards a little more standardization it just potentially changes the calculus, especially with ticket prices being what they are. This is a good forum to express all that.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,480
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Lame? Ugh? These songs just frigging came out. They had never played them before! How can anyone be complaining about this? Most of the people there on Night 2 weren't even there on Night 1. I'm going to ten shows on this tour and if I heard these eleven new songs ten times each (no longer possible, I know), that would be amazing.
    Different strokes 
  • Options
    TA243471TA243471 The Great Northwest Posts: 1,226
    Seems like they just had a tour or 2 for a new album, and somehow found a way to do 40 or so shows with 25 song sets, and be doing something different at the end of the tour than they were at the beginning.  There may still be time for them to NOT play the same 4 songs in the same 4 spots before the year is over.  But if for some reason thats how they choose to do this one, I'm pretty sure that I will still enjoy the hell out of the 9 shows i'm seeing this time.  Hopefully some of you are still able to find some reason to have a good time at these despite that terrible evil.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 670
    edited May 7
    It has been expressed many times, how the songs fit/work together in the sequence on the album, and enhance each other that way.

That sequence of the opening 4 album songs, (beginning the DM experience), and ending the show with Setting Sun, is ideal to me. But that contains 4 of my favorite (so far) 5 songs, so I really like it. Dark Matter after Wreckage makes it more agreeable to me (DM not my fav, but its the name of the album, its going to get played.)

Just my personal preference. I hope they include those 5 in the same spots, for more than one of my shows.

Vancouver got some great stuff beside the new ones. Wash, Chloe/Crown, Immortality, ALONE. Sure hope I get those at my shows.
    Post edited by OfThePearl on
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 288
    I will say that having the animations and screen set ups may take some of the spontaneity out of set list creation.  I also expect the production team to get more efficient and flexible as the shows move along.

If the four DM songs are 5-8 for the rest of this US leg, that would be disappointing…but I’ll still go and have fun at the end of the month.
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24
    Noblesville 8-26-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Different strokes 
    Bingo.   
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,576

1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2,

• Options
    edited May 7
    JBob87 said:
    Gibson said:
    The way they're playing, you'd almost think they have an album to promote.
    Not an especially valid retort because we are primarily talking about repeats on a 2 night run, of which Vancouver stands above any other multi night run on the LB/BS tours. 

We also live in a world where tickets and travel cost more than ever before. It’s valid for people to ask themselves if they really want to shell out the money for a 2 night run w more repeats than previously and 1/3 of the show being the new album due to the shorter sets. 
    It was meant as a joke and not a serious retort. At the end of the day, we don't choose their setlists and we don't have to follow set for set and predict with reasonable accuracy how each show will go. We could just show up and have a good time and not go back and forth about this.

It's a great album, and we go to shows because we love the band and want to see them. As soon as we set expectations of what we think we deserve, disappointment to some degree shouldn't be too far behind. Travel for concerts is a choice and privilege - it's not a factor for what the band should play.
    Post edited by Gibson on
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2,

• Options
    MH143221MH143221 Posts: 37
    50 songs played over 2 nights. 
    9 repeats. 
    Of those 9, 7 were off the new album. 
    Only 2 covers each night. *Not counting Chloe/Crown

I say that’s a pretty great start. 
    Charlotte 96
    Greenville 98
    Knoxville 98
    West Palm 00
    Atlanta 03
    MSG 03
    Asheville 04
    Camden 06
    Bonnaroo 08
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 09 (EV Solo)
    Seattle 09
    Seattle 09
    MSG 10
    MSG 10
    Pensacola 12
    Wrigley 13
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    Two of the four repeating order songs are singles, one was the album opener and was performed on both Stern & Lowe, and one is being used in playoff hockey broadcasts. It was always a given that those four were getting played every night, so what possible “surprise” is being lost? The fact you can predict where it falls in the set? Because I can predict where Release, Even Flow & Alive fall in the set too. 
  • Options
    devonfzdevonfz Posts: 152
    I love new stuff all good there but my problem with setlists is they used to rip off six seven eight heavy fast songs in a row which was awesome got you fired up 
    now it seems they prefer mostly medium to lighter stuff very rarely get that run anymore
    and even then a lot of same stuff like daughter given to fly etc; they have a lot of stuff they just don’t play like go leash whipping animal even rvm
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,725
    devonfz said:
    I love new stuff all good there but my problem with setlists is they used to rip off six seven eight heavy fast songs in a row which was awesome got you fired up 
    now it seems they prefer mostly medium to lighter stuff very rarely get that run anymore
    and even then a lot of same stuff like daughter given to fly etc; they have a lot of stuff they just don’t play like go leash whipping animal even rvm
    My theory with this is that Ed is using some of the slower stuff to warm up his vocals, and I think the song selection in general might be catered more to what he feels comfortable doing as well. Coming out with go, save you, whipping, spin the black circle, blood etc. just seems like it could be tough to get through for a 60 year old man. But that's just my guess, as im not a singer.
  • Options
    Lifted said:
    devonfz said:
    My theory with this is that Ed is using some of the slower stuff to warm up his vocals, and I think the song selection in general might be catered more to what he feels comfortable doing as well. Coming out with go, save you, whipping, spin the black circle, blood etc. just seems like it could be tough to get through for a 60 year old man. But that's just my guess, as im not a singer.
    I think this is probably right, and would add that it's really about the whole band winding up to a fever pitch. It's like opening with "Release" or "Long Road" or other slow-burning openers except on a four- or five-song scale.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    SHZA said:
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Different strokes 
    Bingo.   
    Sure, but I can't relate to a stroke that says, "They've played this song once, ever. How lame that they're playing it again so soon."
  • Options
    devonfzdevonfz Posts: 152
    I agree with ed just slowing up I don’t mind the slow opening at all just miss that run of fast and heavy where you used to get that variety now corduroy evenflow porch dte gtf  why go seem the go to …
    would love stbc got some comatose whipping animal hail hail grievance kind of run during the show as an example then eight new songs five hits and a few slow ones to open that would be my ideal 24 song set
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    SHZA said:
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Different strokes 
    Bingo.   
    Sure, but I can't relate to a stroke that says, "They've played this song once, ever. How lame that they're playing it again so soon."
    The problem is the playing of the same four songs in a row in the same spot.  We all could have guessed they were gonna play some of the new songs every night but nothing like this.  
    And I love setting sun but to close with it two nights in a row?  
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    Back in 2000, I used to bitch about too many Binaural songs.  Now I'd do anything to hear God's Dice, Breakerfall, Insignificance, and others.  Therefore, I'm gonna enjoy the Dark Matter songs as much as I can.  
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Options
    Milestone said:
    Back in 2000, I used to bitch about too many Binaural songs.  Now I'd do anything to hear God's Dice, Breakerfall, Insignificance, and others.  Therefore, I'm gonna enjoy the Dark Matter songs as much as I can.  
    YES.

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,795
    Said it before, I will say it again, hopefully the people that are so horrified about this begin dumping their tickets back in to F2F, especially for the east coast shows.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,339
    Gibson said:
    Milestone said:
    YES.
    Exactly. Otherwise, in five or ten years some will be complaining about either them not playing DM songs any more or not playing at all :(
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,480
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    SHZA said:
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Different strokes 
    Bingo.   
    Saying it's been played "once ever" is a little disingenuous for a song that was released three weeks ago. If they'd played Alone on back to back nights, you'd have a point. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,377
    PB11041 said:
    Said it before, I will say it again, hopefully the people that are so horrified about this begin dumping their tickets back in to F2F, especially for the east coast shows.
    Some of us live in the vast swath of land between "very excited for this development" and "horrified"