Options

Camden 1 setlist beats Bonnaroo!

LROMLROM Posts: 13
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Let me preface this by saying:
1. I wasn't at Bonnaroo, Camden 1 or Camden 2
2. I realize the setlist is not the same as "the show", and that Bonnaroo sound like a magical experience way beyond the setlist
3. Reminder: setlist preference is a matter of taste.

But all that said... Camden 1 is the setlist so far that has blown me away the most.

There are many songs in common played at both shows that are my faves: Hard 2 Imagine opener, All Night, Who You Are, Why Go, Porch, and F'in Love Reign O'er Me!!! (And Betterman which is great for psyched crowds, which sounds like both shows were).

But Camden also had Gone, Grievance, U, Rats, State of Love and Trust, and Leash! Only songs Bonnaroo had different from C1 that stood out for me were: 1/2 Full, WMA, Release and All Along the Watchtower (which woulda been good just for the novelty - I haven't actually heard PJs version yet).

I would have loved to have been at both shows, but so far Camden 1 is the one I'm most salivating over and wishing I was there.......

But in the end, the best news is: EVERY ONE OF THESE SHOWS SO FAR RULES!!!! It's a win-win for all fans lucky enough to go to even ONE show on this tour. So no losers if you were in the house anywhere! (I just REALLY wish I'd been at Camden 1! ;) )
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I've noticed you've taken the newly crowned 'LROM' from Love Reign O'er Me... although i agree w/whoever said it sounds to much like L.Ron Hubbard...

You know, i'll still take Bonnaroo, i mean, Release was played in an encore for the first time since i believe 1994, Boston, and Watchtower is amazing. I've heard a few PJ versions, including the studio, and i saw Eddie, Ben Harper and Jack Irons do it here in LA in April.

I'm looking forward to that boot more than any other so far.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,613
    I know its kind of against the grain, but I do not understand the big deal with Rats.
  • Options
    LROMLROM Posts: 13
    It's funny that you say that about Rats, I had to stop for a second before I could remember why I like it so much. Everytime I've seen it, there's just a really great energy from Ed as he sings it - I think because they don't do it ALL the time. And there's usually a couple people who clearly are over the moon they're hearing it, and I dunno - all that combined with I just like the song make it a fave.

But I can understand you not understanding it. :)

To the other person, I can totally see why you'd prefer Bonnaroo. And I do believe the die-hard, millions of shows fans who say it defied description, it was so amazing (beyond the setlist). So I'll probably get that boot too.

I just really wish I was at Camden 1 most of all.... one day when we've perfected time travel... LOL!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753
    LROM wrote:

doesn't this statement contradict this entire thread?

MayDay10 wrote:
    I know its kind of against the grain, but I do not understand the big deal with Rats.

Easily one of Ed's best vocal performances. has great lyrics, GREAT bassline, and great guitars. it's just all around great if you ask me.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    LROM wrote:
    2. I realize the setlist is not the same as "the show", and that Bonnaroo sound like a magical experience way beyond the setlist

But all that said... Camden 1 is the setlist so far that has blown me away the most.

There are many songs in common played at both shows that are my faves: Hard 2 Imagine opener, All Night, Who You Are, Why Go, Porch, and F'in Love Reign O'er Me!!! (And Betterman which is great for psyched crowds, which sounds like both shows were).

But Camden also had Gone, Grievance, U, Rats, State of Love and Trust, and Leash! Only songs Bonnaroo had different from C1 that stood out for me were: 1/2 Full, WMA, Release and All Along the Watchtower (which woulda been good just for the novelty - I haven't actually heard PJs version yet).

I would have loved to have been at both shows, but so far Camden 1 is the one I'm most salivating over and wishing I was there.......

But in the end, the best news is: EVERY ONE OF THESE SHOWS SO FAR RULES!!!! It's a win-win for all fans lucky enough to go to even ONE show on this tour. So no losers if you were in the house anywhere! (I just REALLY wish I'd been at Camden 1! ;) )

the only things that made camden I diff from Roo was U and Rats..all the other songs have been played at Camden shows before, nothing special.
    Roo was better. Leash is no big deal now; they just wanted to play that for Philly
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353
    gone was played at bonnaroo as well, homes
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    the only things that made camden I diff from Roo was U and Rats..all the other songs have been played at Camden shows before, nothing special.
    Roo was better. Leash is no big deal now; they just wanted to play that for Philly

What do you mean by "they just wanted to play that for Philly?" They played Leash last time they were here, too, so I don't get why you said that.
    Okay... seatbelts. Just put the little thing into the big thing and... I tell ya what. If you don't know how to fasten your seatbelt, just raise your hand and I'll have Tommy Boy here come back there and hit you in the head with a tack hammer because you're a RETARD.
  • Options
    I used to think the show was all about the set but it's really about the experience. I just had to see Jeremy and I was spoiled saw it the first 4 times I saw them. Well that didn't last. Just take it in and enjoy it cause you never know when a song might go back into the vault for an extended period of time and you never know when you might hear it again. Leash, Rats, and Satan's Bed were all around 10 to 12 years. There's very few songs from a recorded album I haven't seen live and they include Around the Bend, No Way, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, Parachutes and Big Wave. I would love to see any of those but if I don't oh well. I was fortunate enough to get W.M.A. in last night.
    Hail Hail The Lucky Ones!!!

Saratoga 92, Hartford 96, Hartford 98, Jones Beach 3 00, Mansfield 1 03, Mansfield 2 03, Camden 1 03, MSG 1 03, MSG 2 03, Mansfield 3 03, Holmdel 03, Boston 1 04, Albany 06, Hartford 06, East Rutherford 1 06, Camden 2 08, MSG 1 08, MSG 2 08, Hartford 08, Mansfield 1 08, Mansfield 2 08, Spectrum 4 09, Hartford 10, MSG 1 10, MSG 2 10, EV Hartford 11, Philly 12, Brooklyn 1 13, Brooklyn 2 13, Hartford 13, MSG 1 16, MSG 2 16, Fenway 1 16, Temple Of The Dog MSG 16
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,921
    I'd rather have seen the SC show over both of these!

I don't see any set beating that one IMO (no not even the MSG shows or the Beacon show).
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,018

I agree 100%- Roo rocked. Maybe you had to be there to appreciate it? I have no clue.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    I went to Bonnaroo expecting a festival setlist from Pearl Jam with alot of crowd pleasers. Setlist was amazing and flow from song to song was perfect. I love rats but it doesn't make up for the rest bonnaroo had to offer.

On paper - they're close - listen to them both and it's hard not to pick Bonnaroo as the better show. That being said- they were both incredible - so who cares what was better- It's like a 99 vs a 98 rating.

Enjoy the music and save the debates for the election.

Pearl Jam fuckin rocks the house!!!!
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    doesn't this statement contradict this entire thread?

Easily one of Ed's best vocal performances. has great lyrics, GREAT bassline, and great guitars. it's just all around great if you ask me.

hands down, that is the best bassline in the PJ catalogue.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    LROM wrote:

My three shows this tour were Bonnaroo, and Camden I & II. The Camden I setlist was almost the Bonnaroo setlist. (BTW Gone was also played at Roo) After hearing the first songs at Camden, and smelling the good smoke coming from somewhere in front of me, I asked my wife if we were still in Manchester.

They sounded great at Bonnaroo, but most artists sound better there. Bonnaroo has a great setup and IMHO is the best place to hear live music.The sound at Camden sucked ass, at least where I was sitting (last row of the 104 section all the way over on the left in the last seats for night I, a couple rows closer and seats nearer to the center in the same section night II). Ted Leo sounded better there than PJ.
  • Options
    NeilJam wrote:

They sounded great at Bonnaroo, but most artists sound better there. Bonnaroo has a great setup and IMHO is the best place to hear live music.

Roo did sound really good- I agree
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    MotorHeadMotorHead Posts: 50
    NeilJam wrote:
    Ted Leo sounded better there than PJ.

What did you say?
  • Options
    MotorHead wrote:
    What did you say?

he said:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    he said:

WTF!
  • Options
    5against1-5against1- Posts: 1,101
    I totally agree I was at Camden I,II and both shows in my opinios were just as good as MSG. There is simply to much hype for the MSG shows! I was annoyed because after every show alot of people were saying how much they liked to show but how they couldn't wait for MSG? It makes more sense to liver in the present tense.
    This too shall pass.....
  • Options
    MotorHead wrote:
    WTF!
    damnit, I'll try it again...

;)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    I'd rather have seen the SC show over both of these!

I still think, in terms of setlist, Columbia is the best so far.

In terms of overall show: MSG 1.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    damnit, I'll try it again...

;)
    Ted Leo would not make a good pimple on stone's ass.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    You know, i'll still take Bonnaroo, i mean, Release was played in an encore for the first time since i believe 1994, Boston, and Watchtower is amazing. I've heard a few PJ versions, including the studio, and i saw Eddie, Ben Harper and Jack Irons do it here in LA in April.

I agree. Hearing Release in the middle of a show is really cool.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."