Options

Ohana Fest returns September 27th - 29th 2024

Comments

• Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,940
    My wife appears to be booking tickets for this right now, what is going on??? Will be our first time seeing them in the States! Very excited.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 564
    Wow!  Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and advice.  I will see you at Ohana!
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 564
    edited April 25
    So, now that I am going, with a friend joining for the last night, what should we expect?  Does Ed or more join with Neil on Saturday or/and does Neil join PJ for RITFW on Sunday?
  • Options
    EMiznerEMizner Posts: 94
    YAKIMATSU said:
    So, now that I am going, with a friend joining for the last night, what should we expect?  Does Ed or more join with Neil on Saturday or/and does Neil join PJ for RITFW on Sunday?
    If Neil joins PJ it’ll be Friday night since he has his own show on Sunday night
    Pearl Jam
    Minneapolis, MN - June 30, 1998
    St. Paul, MN - June 16, 2003
    PJ20 - Alpine Valley - East Troy, WI - September 3, 2011
    PJ20 - Alpine Valley - East Troy, WI - September 4, 2011
    St. Paul, MN - August 31, 2023
    St. Paul, MN - September 2, 2023
    Austin, TX - September 18, 2023
    Austin, TX - September 19, 2023
    Las Vegas, NV - May 16, 2024
    Las Vegas, NV - May 18, 2024

Eddie Vedder
    Las Vegas, NV - October 7, 2022
    Innings Festival - Tempe, AZ - February 26, 2023
    Ohana Festival - Dana Point, CA - September 30, 2023
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,172
    Would love to go to this but got MSG tickets and can't do both, decisions decisions 
  • Options
    My mother is currently very ill and I'm not sure if she will be better in September.  If I bought a 3-day GA ticket, would it be easy to sell if I had to stay near home?
    ...And he who forgets will be destined to remember.

...I swear I never took it for granted. Just thought of it now.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever camped for this festival?  That sounds like a lot of fun.

Also, what is the best airport to fly into?

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,093
    I would be so worried about getting off the festival site and where to live etc... Festivals are usually pain in the ass located. 

Where should one look for somewhere to stay that is within "walking distance"? 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Since this is a festival, will PJ have shorter sets than they would have if they were playing their own shows?   Or since it's Eddie's festival, could they play all night if they wanted to? 🤔

• Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,413
    I would be so worried about getting off the festival site and where to live etc... Festivals are usually pain in the ass located. 

Where should one look for somewhere to stay that is within "walking distance"? 
    Hope you have$$ .. this is booked a year in advance 
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 761
    Since this is a festival, will PJ have shorter sets than they would have if they were playing their own shows?   Or since it's Eddie's festival, could they play all night if they wanted to? 🤔
    They can if everyone went back to his house. The local curfew is pretty early, but they do the standard 2 1/4 hours set. They started pretty early at Ohana Encore and I think everyone thought they were going to do 3 hours... but nope.

I got a room 5 miles away on the beach in San Clemente for about $220US per night.
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,250
    Best bet for those looking for accommodations is to wait and see where the shuttle will go to and book as close to that spot as possible.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    edited April 25
    Best bet for those looking for accommodations is to wait and see where the shuttle will go to and book as close to that spot as possible.  
    For my future reference do the shuttles just go to somewhere in dana point or are there shuttles to other towns ?
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    This right here. I had that planned for the Encore weekend in '21, but then found an affordable AirBnB that was only a 20 minute walk from the festival.  
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 699
    Is there generally available parking at the shuttle locations to leave a car and pick up after the show?
  • Options
    njhaley1njhaley1 Valley of the Sun Posts: 204
    edited April 25
    ST66483 said:
    Is there generally available parking at the shuttle locations to leave a car and pick up after the show?
    Yes, there's typically a very large lot. Think high school parking lot, like last year. 

My mother is currently very ill and I'm not sure if she will be better in September.  If I bought a 3-day GA ticket, would it be easy to sell if I had to stay near home?
    My mom is early-mid Alzheimer's, OK on her own but could find herself lost at the grocery store any day. I bought ticket insurance, it was ~$50. I wouldn't normally, but even the small risk is worth protecting $1000 in tickets. 

No chance. This is coastal California, not the Gorge. Dana Point has an interesting history, worth reading up on for an idea of what it's like. Search for "killer Dana." 

John Wayne is the closest and usually cheapest. 
    Post edited by njhaley1 on
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,269
    Hotels: There are places within walking distance but people book them as soon as they know the dates for Ohana the following year. You might want to consider the hotel packages the festival is offering -- looks like they booked rooms at those nearby hotels.

Camping: No, this is not a rural setting. Some people do hang out on the beach beyond the barriers to listen to the music, but that's during the day.

Air travel: John Wayne/Santa Ana is closest, yes. San Diego's airport is about 75 minutes away (and if you're coming from Boston, I'm a fan of Alaska's non-stop between BOS and SD). LAX also is about 75 minutes away. These times all assume light traffic. 

Shuttles: There is/has been one pickup and one drop-off location, with plenty of parking. The location was at an outlet mall in San Clemente for a few years, then an office park in Aliso Viejo, last year I think they used a local high school. Last year they also offered a few parking passes for lots around the festival site -- not cheap but convenient.

Set length: As noted above, there is a local curfew (this is a beachside town, not a rural setting) and the festival adheres to it strictly. I believe they negotiated a one-hour extension for a night or two in 2021 when PJ was playing, but I doubt that will happen this year, since residents need to go to work on Monday. Expect music to end at 10:00pm. Schedules are released shortly before the festival, and in my experience they run on schedule. Remember that PJ sets are trending shorter post-Covid and they've indicated that will be a regular thing.

Resale: If memory serves (and it doesn't always!) --and I don't recall the resale rules -- the VIP passes will re-sell more quickly while GA day passes will re-sell at a discount the day of as people's plans change.  
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    edited April 25

I flew into San Diego for Encore in '21. It was a pretty easy airport to get in and out of. I rented a car and found an affordable AirBnb in Dana Point that was walkable from the festival.
  • Options
    Hotels: There are places within walking distance but people book them as soon as they know the dates for Ohana the following year. You might want to consider the hotel packages the festival is offering -- looks like they booked rooms at those nearby hotels.

Camping: No, this is not a rural setting. Some people do hang out on the beach beyond the barriers to listen to the music, but that's during the day.

Air travel: John Wayne/Santa Ana is closest, yes. San Diego's airport is about 75 minutes away (and if you're coming from Boston, I'm a fan of Alaska's non-stop between BOS and SD). LAX also is about 75 minutes away. These times all assume light traffic. 

Shuttles: There is/has been one pickup and one drop-off location, with plenty of parking. The location was at an outlet mall in San Clemente for a few years, then an office park in Aliso Viejo, last year I think they used a local high school. Last year they also offered a few parking passes for lots around the festival site -- not cheap but convenient.

Set length: As noted above, there is a local curfew (this is a beachside town, not a rural setting) and the festival adheres to it strictly. I believe they negotiated a one-hour extension for a night or two in 2021 when PJ was playing, but I doubt that will happen this year, since residents need to go to work on Monday. Expect music to end at 10:00pm. Schedules are released shortly before the festival, and in my experience they run on schedule. Remember that PJ sets are trending shorter post-Covid and they've indicated that will be a regular thing.

Resale: If memory serves (and it doesn't always!) --and I don't recall the resale rules -- the VIP passes will re-sell more quickly while GA day passes will re-sell at a discount the day of as people's plans change.  
    Thanks for that sounds like staying near the shuttles could be best idea 
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,777
    Would love to go to this but got MSG tickets and can't do both, decisions decisions 
    Was in the same boat, but add Neil Young and decent afternoon acts all weekend it’s tough not to switch it up if you can manage the travel
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,935
    Where are your MSG tickets 😁. You know we all want to know. 
  • Options
    kaw753 said:
    They can if everyone went back to his house. The local curfew is pretty early, but they do the standard 2 1/4 hours set. They started pretty early at Ohana Encore and I think everyone thought they were going to do 3 hours... but nope.

I got a room 5 miles away on the beach in San Clemente for about $220US per night.
    I remember when they adjusted the times at Encore and everyone got excited, myself included and then they didn't play the three-plus hour show. Remember, they hadn't gone to their current set times yet so none of us knew that.

Last year Eddie Vedder and Foo Fighters both played a smidge over two hours. Pearl Jam did do more than that at Encore. But I wouldn't count on more than what they've been doing at shows, and maybe closer to that two hours. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986

John Wayne airport worked great for us....avoided LAX
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664

I’ve done both and I highly recommend John Wayne over LAX. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Where are your MSG tickets 😁. You know we all want to know. 
    😀 they aren't great but I'm happy to be in the building 
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,413

If you get the flight you want. SD  more choices 
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 822
    EMizner said:
    YAKIMATSU said:
    If Neil joins PJ it’ll be Friday night since he has his own show on Sunday night
    Good point.  I wonder what is most likely...1) Neil joins PJ on Friday, 2) PJ (in some fashion) joins Neil on Saturday, or 3) Both.   
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,545
    Got my 3 day pass. You folks in here convinced me and the lure is always seeing PJ in different places and venues. Wander around and discover bands I’ve never seen before plus Neil and Crazy Horse. I’m going to soak it in. Who knows how many more tours he has left and just read the Rolling Stone review on his first show back with CH last night and sounds awesome. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Got my 3 day pass. You folks in here convinced me and the lure is always seeing PJ in different places and venues. Wander around and discover bands I’ve never seen before plus Neil and Crazy Horse. I’m going to soak it in. Who knows how many more tours he has left and just read the Rolling Stone review on his first show back with CH last night and sounds awesome. 
    yeah Neil Young and Idles did it for me....of course PJ but it's hard to pass up Uncle Neil. Really hoping for the guys to join him Saturday night...I'm going to say it's about a 90% chance they will.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,557
    Don’t think you’ll regret it looking back.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore