Options

Most Underrated shows 08 and thru 2000

rileythegunnarileythegunna Posts: 21
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Just from a passive observer of 6 shows this tour (WPB, Tampa, MSG I & II, and Mansfield I & II)
the most underrated and under mentioned show of this tour was
Tampa - Porch was priceless, Ed punching himself in the head when he screwed up present tense was also an amazingly human moment)

of my over 40 shows, most under rated of all time was
Buffalo 2003...go back and listen to the boots this one was 3+ of pure energy.

I judge just the band and setlist. Crowd does nothing for me.

my order of the shows I went to (bearing in mind I had a Hartford seat in sec 200, but was on "wifely house arrest"...and I LOVE the neil young stuff.
is

Tampa
MSG II (lots of fun, loose show a lot of mistakes but was cool, although there were too many carryovers from night 1
Mansfield II - Animal
MSG I
Mansfield I
West Palm -YUCK, bland uninspired show

Best moment of all time Miami 1995 Bayfront, the near riot, the 100+ degree heat...The sky opening up and pouring during the 1st notes of Garden and stopping as the song ended)

Runner up - Ben Harper shoving Ed out of the Way at 2003 MSG II to sing indifference as he was messing up the lyrics

Honorable Mention and top 3 of shows Boston II in 2006 -
Theo in the wig
Favorite Boot: Spodek Poland - a Haunting Black

Low shows:
West Palm this tour
both 2003 Camden shows...hot, flat and bland

Shocker of tour - Leaving Mansfield with no Yellow Led.
Ed talked a good game both nights but they had no intention of going over curfew either night.
Clearly they got whacked in 2003 and were in no hurry to repeat.

Just my thoughts..anyone want to add some underrated moments that people should "boot out" as opposed to the typical top 5 lists.

Top 3 underrated:
Buffalo 2003
Portland 2006
Ft Lauderdale 1996

well I guess 1996 dates my title of 2000, but oh well

mahalo
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mtildenmtilden Posts: 62
    Boston I in '03 at the time was considered the weak one of the three, but if we got that setlist this tour we'd all be drooling.

Any performance of The Kids Are Alright.
    "Go fuck yourself"
    -Dick Cheney

"Are you taking over or are you taking orders"
    -Joe Strummer 1952-2002

"All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting."
    -George Orwell
  • Options
    Ghost Of K.Ghost Of K. Posts: 170
    I don't like you
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    I Don't Like You
  • Options
    "bland, uninspired show..."
    We were not in the same audience.

You sure your house arrest did not extend to this date?
  • Options
    Best moment of all time Miami 1995 Bayfront, the near riot, the 100+ degree heat...The sky opening up and pouring during the 1st notes of Garden and stopping as the song ended

You sure that wasn't 1994?

I have that show.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    renzorockrenzorock Posts: 59
    There were a lot of terrific moments, even in some of the lesser shows (and, hey, even a lesser PJ show is better than any other show out there!)

My picks:

VA Beach 08: Under-rated show all-in-all (Long Road, Faithfull, Evacuation, Green Disease, etc.), however, this show spawned absolutely the best version of Not For You I've ever heard.

Mansfield 1 08: I'm from Boston and, I gotta say, this was my least favorite ever Boston PJ show(ok setlist, band seemed tired), however, Betterman was something to see. I (and apparently the band) have never seen anything like it.

Lolla 07: People diss this show becuase it was a "festival gig" playing mostly hits, but the energy of this crowd, the band, and some rarities thrown in (Education, No More with Ben Harper) made this an absolute terrific show overall.

Albany 03 and 06: Go to Albany and you'll experience some of the best PJ crowds ever. I've seen 2 shows there and both offered terrific setlists (see 06 premiere of Red Mosquito, Satan's Bed, and Rats), amazing crowd and band energy, and special moments (see 03 People have the Power and the Rachel song). *The Cow was at both of these shows!!

Boston Garden 94
    Mansfield 1 98
    Mansfield 1 00
    Houston 03
    Albany 03
    Mansfield 1, 2, 3 03
    Camden 1 03
    Boston 1 and 2 04
    Albany 06
    Chicago 1 and 2 06
    Boston 1 and 2 06
    Hawaii 06
    Lolla 07
    Bonnaroo 08
    Columbia 08
    VA Beach 08
    DC 08
    Mansfield 1 and 2 08
  • Options
    Virginia Beach!!!

The show was absolutely amazing! Yes it was one of the shorter shows but fuck yo! Not For You was off the hook, LONG ROAD?! FAITHFUL was rockin! Green Disease, Low Light, SLEIGHT OF HAND, Insignificance, and GUARANTEED!!!!

:D

edit: i agree with the above...Not For You from VA Beach was the greatest thing ive ever heard as well
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2