Options

The Return of Rock...?

oaklanda12oaklanda12 Posts: 44
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
I rarely post on this site due to the immature/ignorant kiddies roaming the site, so this is aimed directly towards all the PJ Vets.

I recently went to the Hartford show, and Holy Taco Bell was that an amazing concert. Over the years I feel like Eddie and the boys are going out there with something to prove, like they've let us down in previous years. That being said, I feel like a little bit of rock n' roll is still out there to be heard. Yes, the music now-a-days absolutely leaves something to be longed for but we can always rely on the live concerts of those "past" rock n' rollers to quench our thirst.

I'm tired of this constant criticism of the setlists and PJ's selections of songs to be played. One thing you've got to understand is that Pearl Jam has to appeal to all crowds that have bought tickets. They strictly cannot play rarities due to the obvious concern that they have to fill the seats. In lieu of saying that, I have to say, just let it be. Let them rock. I'm not sure if you "analysts" have ever been to a Rolling Stones or Bon Jovi concert, but let it just be said that you guys have it GOOD.

I digress, to say that Hartford was in fact a rock n' roll experience I will never forget. Any rock n' roll event that consists of an awesome live performance, destruction of property (fence), and the opposition of authority is a sight to behold and one that I will always hold close.

Keep on rockin PJ' ers.
06/27/2008 Hartford

Generation X'ey?

http://www.last.fm/user/oaklanda12/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    oaklanda12 wrote:
    I rarely post on this site due to the immature/ignorant kiddies roaming the site, so this is aimed directly towards all the PJ Vets.

I recently went to the Hartford show, and Holy Taco Bell was that an amazing concert. Over the years I feel like Eddie and the boys are going out there with something to prove, like they've let us down in previous years. That being said, I feel like a little bit of rock n' roll is still out there to be heard. Yes, the music now-a-days absolutely leaves something to be longed for but we can always rely on the live concerts of those "past" rock n' rollers to quench our thirst.

I'm tired of this constant criticism of the setlists and PJ's selections of songs to be played. One thing you've got to understand is that Pearl Jam has to appeal to all crowds that have bought tickets. They strictly cannot play rarities due to the obvious concern that they have to fill the seats. In lieu of saying that, I have to say, just let it be. Let them rock. I'm not sure if you "analysts" have ever been to a Rolling Stones or Bon Jovi concert, but let it just be said that you guys have it GOOD.

I digress, to say that Hartford was in fact a rock n' roll experience I will never forget. Any rock n' roll event that consists of an awesome live performance, destruction of property (fence), and the opposition of authority is a sight to behold and one that I will always hold close.

Keep on rockin PJ' ers.

nice post I think a lot of people are sick of the moaning about repeated songs, set lists that people don't like, songs they aren't playing etc... The fact is PJ's live shows are a fantastic rock experience something that is rare nowadays and that can only be done by a few bands sadly. PJ were on fire in 2008 and are getting better and better... With no signs of slowing down. We do have it good.. We have it very good infact. I was at Hartford also and I have to say that show was an amazing experience!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    ditto,

many people have indeed lost the sense of a rock n' roll experience, and in return have looked more towards the analytical sense.

Enjoy the ride people...
    06/27/2008 Hartford

Generation X'ey?

• Options
    great post

i was at Hartford & thought it was amazing, better than MSG's & Mansfield who would of known, lol
    "no more crowbars to my head"
  • Options
    kmrockkmrock Posts: 31
    I agree with pretty much everything you said. I was just thinking the other day how watered down even "good" music is these days.
    For example, I really like most of Jack Johnson's stuff, but he and John Mayer, and Dave Matthews, etc. have led this movement that sort of insists that "mellow" is the best way to make music. I have a seventeen-year-old cousin whose ultimate praise of music is that it's mellow, and I know many other people who agree with him.

Don't get me wrong, I think all of those people are talented--but sometimes I think they really lack the passion (and yes, anger) that is a part of everyday life. I'm not suggesting angry rock is the ultimate goal--but Pj has a passion that, even in beautiful ballads, allows for the exploration of, and release of emotion.
    I mean "your body is a wonder land," "make you banana pancakes," "so much to say (over and over and over)" please give me a break.
    Don't mean to offend anyone, just venting a bit. peace
    "My back is broken, and my hands are blistered"
  • Options
    I wasn't at Hartford (alas), but I wholeheartedly agree with the musical part of your statement (not a big fan of property destruction). I left Mansfield 2 with a reinvigorated love and awe of the power of rock, thanks to PJ.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    I hear you

But playing the same songs since 2003 is kinda boring. Especially when you have heard every show since 2000.

And especially especially if it is 2 shows at the same venue.. mix it uuup....

Its not like the rarities are shit songs, hey breath and deep are some of the best songs on their catalogue.......
  • Options
    kmrock wrote:
    I agree with pretty much everything you said. I was just thinking the other day how watered down even "good" music is these days.
    For example, I really like most of Jack Johnson's stuff, but he and John Mayer, and Dave Matthews, etc. have led this movement that sort of insists that "mellow" is the best way to make music. I have a seventeen-year-old cousin whose ultimate praise of music is that it's mellow, and I know many other people who agree with him.

Don't get me wrong, I think all of those people are talented--but sometimes I think they really lack the passion (and yes, anger) that is a part of everyday life. I'm not suggesting angry rock is the ultimate goal--but Pj has a passion that, even in beautiful ballads, allows for the exploration of, and release of emotion.
    I mean "your body is a wonder land," "make you banana pancakes," "so much to say (over and over and over)" please give me a break.
    Don't mean to offend anyone, just venting a bit. peace

Firmly agreed.

I have tried over and over again to get into DMB, but they always leave me something to long for. They remind me of a watered-down E-Street Band.
    06/27/2008 Hartford

Generation X'ey?

• Options
    LongRhodeLongRhode Posts: 93
    oaklanda12 wrote:

I'm tired of this constant criticism of the setlists and PJ's selections of songs to be played.

GREAT post... as this AMAZING summer tour began to wind down, I found myself getting depressed with the overload of "too many repeats" and "my show blew away your show" threads on this board.

I remember watching the set relays for MSG 1 and a ton of comments like "meh, i was expecting more". I was sitting there KNOWING that crowd must have been stoked and dancing and having so much fun. Maybe 5 percent of the crowd were sitting there saying "ugh.. evenflow"... but 95% were rocking and having a great time! So screw the idiots who say "they played given to fly too much this tour"... i bounced to the roof both nights at Mansfield as did most of the folks there.

Great post.. glad you got to experience a great show at Hartford.
    1991 - Warwick RI
    1994 - Boston Garden 1
    2003 - Mansfield 1
    2004 - Boston 1 & 2
    2006 - Albany, Boston 1, Dublin Ireland
    2008 - Mansfield 1 & 2, EV Boston 1
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    Did anyone else but me see the title of this thread and think The Rock was coming back to WWE? Anyone?
    tacos
  • Options
    iwasthere wrote:
    Did anyone else but me see the title of this thread and think The Rock was coming back to WWE? Anyone?

Finally... *arches the People's Eyebrow*
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Nice post, and great point when you said "any show that brings destruction of property and opposition of police is a memorable rock concert" Although it is completely immature, and I highly doubt the band would approve of anything like it, it still is a great point.

all i gotta say is: HARTFORD OWNED ALL OF YOU.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Nice post, and great point when you said "any show that brings destruction of property and opposition of police is a memorable rock concert" Although it is completely immature, and I highly doubt the band would approve of anything like it, it still is a great point.

all i gotta say is: HARTFORD OWNED ALL OF YOU.

Ha, you know what it is completely immature and probably a little bit ignorant...but it's my firm beleif that people could use that once and a while. Nobody was hurt and it was more of a controlled excitement.

It sort of brings you back to the old days when destruction of property (a la The Who) was the normality of rock concerts.
    06/27/2008 Hartford

Generation X'ey?

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    One of the (many) things that draws me back to PJ is the hard rocking. Truly ... I will get hooked on a mellow band for a while, and its nice ... And eventually I will yearn for something louder (not to mention a band that has the balls to play more than 30-40 songs across an entire 25 or more date tour). PJ is (IMO) the best balance going right now, between subtleties and flat-out rocking ... If I want something intricate, I can listen to a long McCready solo, or listen to the middle portion of a long live version of RVM ... Then the next tune will be something short, sweet, and hardass, such as Blood or Go or Comatose ... And there are so many tracks in between these extremes (listen to Whipping ... Its rocking, but the guitars are doing different things and Jeff's bassline is off in left field somewhere). Not many can combine the inticacies and the balls-out rocking like PJ does, and live, at that. You don't need to listen to a studio album to hear the subtle aspects ... One of the reasons I don't bitch about songs like Even Flow being played nearly nightly is the fact that these oft-played songs are the same ones that differ the most from night to night. Even Flow, RVM, and Porch are opportunities to listen for the improvs and the subtle things that the guitars and drums do.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    that is all we do on this site is bitch about things not being good enough or perfect enough or long enough or rare enough or cheap enough etc etc enough. We are fucking spoiled rotten just accept the gifts they give versus the ones they do not.
  • Options
    I grew up in Seattle at the right time.
    I've been to some pretty epic shows (check my sig)
    I have a low fan club number
    I suppose I have some serious PJ street cred

Big effin deal.

None of that really matters. I agree with this post. To bitch about set lists and all of this nonsense is irrelevant. Once life takes over and you have kids and jobs and responsbility it's pretty rare for me to get to one show per tour.
    To whine about what you get is stupid. It's a rock concert. Have fun and let yourself go. You never know which show will be your last PJ concert. . . . . For all we know they've played their last show...Life is too short.....
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    Ghost Of K.Ghost Of K. Posts: 170
    If Pearl Jam quit tomorrow everyone who complained about the set lists this tour would change their tune. They kicked ass all over the East Coast, and if they opened with Hard To Imagine more than once they would claim to know why.

Shut up. The shows were distinctly different every night. If you want a cd player- go buy one asshole.

By the way, WPB bashing gets you nowhere since it turns out we had the coolest, rarest, most unique show of the tour.

Woo Hoo
    K.
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    great post

i was at Hartford & thought it was amazing, better than MSG's & Mansfield who would of known, lol
    Yes, I was surprised how great this show was. :)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    UNH1995UNH1995 Worcester Posts: 356
    I have never complained about Pearl Jam. I have a couple songs that I am not crazy about. I have seen them 17 times over the course of 16 years. They have influenced and enhanced my life as much as anyone or anything outside of friends and family. I hate listening to complaints about show lenghts, repeated songs, fan club seats, and anything else out of our control.

I agree that these shows, not in promotion of an album, are pure rock. Please just enjoy. We are fans of this amazing band, not accountants tracking minutes of shows, songs played, etc. Relax and just consider how lucky we all are to have the amazing array of material to enjoy...there is no other musical experience similar to Pearl Jam....nothing....
    Lalapalooza 1992, Orphium Boston 1994, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1998, Mansfield 2000, Mansfield 2003(1&3), West Palm 2003, State College 2003, Boston 2004, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Chicago 2006, Boston 2006, Mansfield 2008(1&2), Hartford 2008, Hartford 2010, Boston 2010, Worcester 2013 (1&2), All Four Fenway shows 2016 & 2018.