Options

Sick of the hype

5against1-5against1- Posts: 1,101
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
I don't know if I am the only one but I am sick of all the hype for the MSG shows. Camden 1 and Bonnaroo were just as good. The MSG show was great but please don't call it the best PJ show ever. I can think of 2 shows I attended off the top of my head that blow it away. State College 03, and the Gorge 06 night 1.
This too shall pass.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    A lot of it is hype, but it's the best of the tour for sure. It's MSG man. Like it or not NYC is the center of the country and MSG is the most famous arena in the world and whatever goes on there will be special.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    E ruth night 2 2006
    was great
    better than last night
    :)
  • Options
    agree about e rutherford night 2
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    smithnic wrote:
    Like it or not NYC is the center of the country and MSG is the most famous arena in the world and whatever goes on there will be special.

It's the center of the country in the eyes of New Yorkers, and no one else. No one outside of New York pays reverence to that city like its own residents do.

But, I agree that last night's show looks to be the best of the tour so far.
  • Options
    OSak00006OSak00006 Posts: 32
    It's the center of the country in the eyes of New Yorkers, and no one else. No one outside of New York pays reverence to that city like its own residents do.

HAHAHA

i love it
  • Options
    Yeah who cares about New York except for new yorkers, and people who like overconsuming!!

I hope you al have a great time at the show, maybe get lucky and hear a No Way, or smile.

I'm calling Boston 1 they break out Hold On>
    This too shall pass.....
  • Options
    OSak00006OSak00006 Posts: 32
    so are the boston shows over hyped as well?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    so far, people have rushed out of every show on this tour and said the show was insane and the best show ever. Then arguments occur over who's shows are better. I think the band is playing terrifically, the fans are fanning terrifically everywhere (the Camden shows were the loudest PJ crowds I have personally heard). The shows are all very close, and to argue which show is better is really arguing over centimeters-worth of personal taste.

But I dont get how a good show in MSG should be considered legendary just because it occured in MSG.
  • Options
    TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    5against1- wrote:
    I don't know if I am the only one but I am sick of all the hype for the MSG shows. Camden 1 and Bonnaroo were just as good. The MSG show was great but please don't call it the best PJ show ever. I can think of 2 shows I attended off the top of my head that blow it away. State College 03, and the Gorge 06 night 1.

You're not the only one. I've been saying I can't wait until 6/26 just so I can stop seeing MSG threads dominating GTF and the Porch. Of course, half of that is just my jealousy talking and the other half is that on 6/26 my 3 shows are coming up next :D

I'll never understand why people feel compelled to rate or compare shows. Everyone is going to think their show(s) is/are special but I do agree that people are hyping up MSG a little too much. Yes, I would love to see them in NYC just as I had wanted to see them in FL (unfortunately neither happened :() but I don't think Hartford or Mansfield are going to be any less special than any of the shows so far this tour.
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • Options
    GangstacroGangstacro Posts: 104
    You almost have to be there to understand.

Last night was my first MSG show and that place got so loud and just shook when the band barrelled into Cordory. I have never felt anything like that. Tonight should be no different.

I have been to all of the major Boston/Mansfield shows ('03 in particular) and even though the setlist for last night's show can't hold a candle to them, the feeling inside that building was completely different.
  • Options
    new yorkers? really?

funny I don't hear ny'ers call it the city, so really it is everyone else :)

• Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559

really? is that why there's so many people here, every major media outlet, the financial center, and a whole host of other things based here??
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    AddictedAddicted Posts: 124
    Setlist wise and band energy maybe, but i was lucky enough to travel from s. florida for msg 1-2 in 03 and i would have to say regardless of what songs were played MSG has some of the most powerfull shows ever.
    hold on to the thread
    the currents will shift
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    All I know is that it sounds like a lot of happy people were getting groovy to the PJ tunes last night. Not so bad, eh? So, they want to post about it. A little enthusiasm lasting for over 24hours is pretty cool. Let the wave of pleasure just roll and roll.

At the same time PJ was rocking the MSG to the roof and beyond, BRob hit his 1000th hit. It was quite the night (oh, and Orioles beat the Cubs. :D)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    E ruth night 2 2006
    was great
    better than last night
    :)

that show was way overated, i was there, it's not even in my top ten of shows i've attended.

your standards must be extremely low
    NO TIME TO BE VOID OR SAVE UP ON LIFE, YOU GOT TO SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!
  • Options
    u must be a very nice person

that show was way overated, i was there, it's not even in my top ten of shows i've attended.

your standards must be extremely low
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    new yorkers? really?

funny I don't hear ny'ers call it the city, so really it is everyone else :)

i call it "the city"
  • Options
    N.Y is dirty!!!
    This too shall pass.....
  • Options
    5against1- wrote:
    N.Y is dirty!!!

as a life long ny'er I AGREE lol
  • Options
  • Options
    yea but aren't u in BKLYN?

but i lived in nyc 30 years of my life ..and im 31 lol just moved to brooklyn last year

regardless when i refernce nyc to someone ill say' are u coming to the city tonight"?

always have always will maybe its just me ;)
  • Options
    hmm u lived in nyc for 30 yrs yet u call manhattan nyc?

yea that is weird

NY PJ1 wrote:
    but i lived in nyc 30 years of my life ..and im 31 lol just moved to brooklyn last year

regardless when i refernce nyc to someone ill say' are u coming to the city tonight"?

always have always will maybe its just me ;)
  • Options
    Everything is overhyped. Although I must admit that overall Boston fans are a lot better than the fans dowen south. That just comes down to fanbase size though. The northeast is full of PJ fans because of the better radio, bigger populace, and musical leanings.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    hmm u lived in nyc for 30 yrs yet u call manhattan nyc?

yea that is weird

actually i just refer to it as the city

but if i meet someone (from ny)and they ask what city?

i say manhattan or nyc whatever pops in my head first

its all the same to me

anyway i was just saying i refer to manhattan as the city lol
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Why can't everyone just enjoy the shows.

I understand when people argue sports teams, they usually argue for the city they are from.

With Pearl Jam we are all on the same team.

We all like Pearl Jam.

Why put down a show that somebody really enjoyed or say that this show will not be that good.

Just enjoy.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I think they are hyped because they are playing MSG for the first time in 5 years.. I believe Camden 1, DC and Bonaroo were great shows but just the fact that the venue is in NYC is why they are so hyped. I was at DC and Camden so a little bias as to the better shows.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    pghaspghas Posts: 128
    BEST.

SHOW.

EVER.

Until the next one....
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Sure, NYC is the financial center of the country and world, but in terms of cultural influence, NYC is nowhere near where it once was. It's not 1950 anymore. With the blossoming of the Internet, no city or town maintains a cultural stanglehold on the rest of the country anymore. Some have greater influence, but the idea that the rest of the country looks to NYC for cultural cues is silly.

And you know who refers to NYC as "The City"? People who live in and around NYC. When someone in the Bay Area (where I live) says "The City," they are most certainly not referring to NYC, but instead to SF. In fact, I grew up Connecticut and referred to NYC as "New York," not "The City." And no one I know outside of the New York State, Fairfield County CT or New Jersey calls it "The City."
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,777
    Zoso wrote:
    I think they are hyped because they are playing MSG for the first time in 5 years.. I believe Camden 1, DC and Bonaroo were great shows but just the fact that the venue is in NYC is why they are so hyped. I was at DC and Camden so a little bias as to the better shows.

once you put it that way...

BRING US AN ALPINE SHOW AND SHOW YOU HOW IT'S DONE!
  • Options
    haha

told u it was everyone else

see post #26 page 2!