Options

Early indie store Dark Matter listening party

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    pjl44 said:
    This was a lot of fun. Got a slipmat and poster and I'm feeling really good about the album. Excited to hear it in the theater tomorrow.

One soapbox item: People, buy something! A considerable number of the 20ish people there came in, grabbed the goodies, listened to the album, stayed for the raffle, then just bounced. Now it's possible many of them preordered from the store so I can only judge so harshly. But do the store a solid for putting this on and walk out with something!
    I was thinking I was going to be able to freely shop around the store as I listened to the new album. As soon as the album started, everyone froze and just stood where they were (blocking most of the records). I was still able to find an album I've been wanting (and preordered DM on black vinyl to pick up on Friday), but it did seem like not a lot of people were planning on buying something yesterday. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,086
    pjl44 said:
    This was a lot of fun. Got a slipmat and poster and I'm feeling really good about the album. Excited to hear it in the theater tomorrow.

One soapbox item: People, buy something! A considerable number of the 20ish people there came in, grabbed the goodies, listened to the album, stayed for the raffle, then just bounced. Now it's possible many of them preordered from the store so I can only judge so harshly. But do the store a solid for putting this on and walk out with something!
    Good call.  I wanted to support the one store in Virginia that was doing this, and happily spent more than I planned to.  I'd love to do this again. 
    Yeah, I want the stores to think "wow I'm glad we did that." I love special events around releases like this.
  • Options
    LukinFan said:
    pjl44 said:

I was thinking I was going to be able to freely shop around the store as I listened to the new album. As soon as the album started, everyone froze and just stood where they were (blocking most of the records). I was still able to find an album I've been wanting (and preordered DM on black vinyl to pick up on Friday), but it did seem like not a lot of people were planning on buying something yesterday. 
    Fortunately the place I went was pretty big so I was able to shop and listen. Tomorrow is for sitting and listening carefully.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    pjl44 said:
    LukinFan said:
    pjl44 said:

Fortunately the place I went was pretty big so I was able to shop and listen. Tomorrow is for sitting and listening carefully.
    That's a good point (about tomorrow). There won't be anyone talking throughout the playing of the album tomorrow either. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,881
    LukinFan said:
    pjl44 said:

Our shop had the chairs/gear/food (they provided peanut butter, jelly, and bread for lunches (Peanuts and Jelly = PJ) as well as drinks) outside pretty much for that reason. Chatting with them afterwards, they'd done indoor listening parties for other artists in the past, and the store was so crowded they couldn't move around. Owner had to climb over the register to get out during one listening party.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    LukinFan said:
    pjl44 said:
    LukinFan said:
    pjl44 said:

That's a good point (about tomorrow). There won't be anyone talking throughout the playing of the album tomorrow either. 
    Lord I hope not
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,196
    mpedone said:
    LukinFan said:
    pjl44 said:

Our shop had the chairs/gear/food (they provided peanut butter, jelly, and bread for lunches (Peanuts and Jelly = PJ) as well as drinks) outside pretty much for that reason. Chatting with them afterwards, they'd done indoor listening parties for other artists in the past, and the store was so crowded they couldn't move around. Owner had to climb over the register to get out during one listening party.
    Bummed I wasn't able to make it there.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    React, Respond just clicked!  Woah another awesome song.  This f-in album!!!  I always hoped they still had the magic in them and they do. Makes me a little emotional.  Thanks for putting it all on the line guys  👍 
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,890
    I went to Darkside Records in Poughkeepsie NY and they played it at least twice (I had to leave during Got to Give on the second play-through).  Did other places continue to play it as well?

Also, shoutout to Darkside who had very good speakers and blasted it loud!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,881
    I went to Darkside Records in Poughkeepsie NY and they played it at least twice (I had to leave during Got to Give on the second play-through).  Did other places continue to play it as well?

Music Connection in NH did. There was some confusion on our part (should have called, but timing wouldn't have worked out anyway). We showed up as Got to Give was starting. We kinda lingered as Setting Sun finished and people started to disperse, and Scared of Fear came back on. Listened back through to Got to GIve again. They did the raffled during Upper Hand and Waiting for Stevie, so we didn't really get to hear them.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,161

Darkside is amazing. Second best record store in New England.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,161
    Redscroll  Records in Wallingford, CT, played it nice and loud! They also played it 1 1/2 times because the stream stopped during the first play back and they had to restart it from the beginning.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    pjl44 said:

Agreed, I bought a ton of stuff.  And I try to go to a different place each time, but continue to contact people that I meet at the record stores.  It's good to make those connections. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,931
    Vedd Hedd said:
    pjl44 said:

Agreed, I bought a ton of stuff.  And I try to go to a different place each time, but continue to contact people that I meet at the record stores.  It's good to make those connections. 
    Agreed. Make friends with your record store owners. And be a great customer to them. One of my local guys knows the kind of music I like. A few years ago he called me to let me know he just bought a big collection from someone and it had the first four Pearl Jam albums OG sealed. He held them for me and I bought them. A week later he called to say he found a sealed Mirror Ball in the same collection. So I got that as well. 
  • Options
    BR223133BR223133 Posts: 82
    GlowGirl said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    pjl44 said:

Agreed. Make friends with your record store owners. And be a great customer to them. One of my local guys knows the kind of music I like. A few years ago he called me to let me know he just bought a big collection from someone and it had the first four Pearl Jam albums OG sealed. He held them for me and I bought them. A week later he called to say he found a sealed Mirror Ball in the same collection. So I got that as well. 
    That's awesome!
    1992: 7/25 Denver, CO (Lollapalooza)
    1993: 11/30 Las Vegas, NV (Vault #5) - 12/1 Las Vegas, NV
    1998: 7/11 Las Vegas, NV
    2000: 10/22 Las Vegas, NV (10th anniversary)
    2003: 4/1 Denver, CO
    2006: 7/3 Denver, CO
    2014: 10/22 Denver, CO
    2020: 4/11 Phoenix, AZ
    2022: 5/9 Phoenix, AZ - 5/20 Las Vegas, NV

Eddie Vedder/Earthlings
    2022: 10/7 Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    LS164963LS164963 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 140
    mpedone said:

Music Connection in NH did. There was some confusion on our part (should have called, but timing wouldn't have worked out anyway). We showed up as Got to Give was starting. We kinda lingered as Setting Sun finished and people started to disperse, and Scared of Fear came back on. Listened back through to Got to GIve again. They did the raffled during Upper Hand and Waiting for Stevie, so we didn't really get to hear them.
    They played it twice in Vegas. They did the giveaway after the first time then played again, at my location most people left, I couldn't get enough of it. Can't wait for the theater screening tonight.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    Really excited to hear the album on Friday. The comparisons to, and gushing over sirens on the previous page gives me some pause....but it seems like most are loving it overall.
  • Options
    UmphreysJam34UmphreysJam34 Posts: 779
    edited April 16
    What was it like at Easy Street? Could you even get in?
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,196
    Lifted said:
    Really excited to hear the album on Friday. The comparisons to, and gushing over sirens on the previous page gives me some pause....but it seems like most are loving it overall.
    It is great.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    Love the reviews I'm hearing. I didn't have a listening party anywhere near me. But it is playing at a theater tonight not too far. I decided not to go because after buy 2 tickets and finding a babysitter, thought it wasn't worth hearing it a couple days early. Now I'm disappointed in my decision.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    I cant believe this album hasn't leaked already. I bought it anyway, but was hoping I'd get a chance to join in on the fun and have an early listen. A leak would be my only opportunity. I wonder what they're doing these days to prevent it. Seems like it'd be very difficult considering how many people mustalready have access to it.
  • Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 730
    Redscroll  Records in Wallingford, CT, played it nice and loud! They also played it 1 1/2 times because the stream stopped during the first play back and they had to restart it from the beginning.

great store
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,304
    Pap said:
    I went to A Slice of Vinyl in Gosport, UK. I was there at 10:30 (first person to appear for the party - the rest of the guys started coming around 12:30), and the party started at 14:00 (the owner told us that we were the very first to listen to the album, as the other parties were starting one or two hours later). :tongue: Around 30 people attended. I got the poster, but tote bags were only given to those who pre-ordered the album in-store.

After the first listen, here are my instantly standout songs (excluding Dark Matter and Running):
    1. Won't Tell (what a great song!)
    2. Something Special (reminded me of Daughter)
    3. Wreckage
    They will grow on me after a couple more listens:
    1. Setting Sun (reminded me of Indifference)
    2. Got to Give
    3. Upper Hand
    They will eventually grow on me:
    1. Scared of Fear
    2. React, Respond
    3. Waiting for Stevie
    Off to the theatrical experience on Tuesday, and then the immersive experience on Friday! 

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    KwynnKwynn Posts: 4
    ISO a slip mat if anyone was an extra.  I'll  cover postage.
    2003 Missoula, MT
    2005 The Gorge Amphitheatre, WA