Options

New Single - Wreckage - Out Now

Comments

• Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 637
    I was already singing this, the second time it played, reading the lyrics. Not loud enough for others to hear, but enthusiastically!  I will definitely have it memorized 100% for my 1st show. One of their best "soft" songs in awhile.
    Someone said it had no emotion. I couldn't disagree more.
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 823
    Nice tune. I hear a bit of Let Me sleep at the start and the end is all Learning To Fly.
    But it is a very cool song
    The guitar lick is def reminiscent of LMS. Musically to me, it's a mash of LMS, 7 o'clock, and Petty if we are playing that game.  
    It sounds more like a low key Superunknown lick relation to me. Ending is Learning To Fly in a different key. I was figuring out how to play it this morning and you just don't want the last part to end.

I don't get word salad vibes from it like 7OC-that phrasing and some of the lyrics grated with me but Wreckage doesn't do that at all.

One funny thing we got at the cinema-the choral vocals at the end came out way louder than what they are in headphones. 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,476
    I get Small Town vibes. Anyone else?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,172
    edited April 18
    They need to get on SNL and play this song

massive hit

Post edited by CROJAM95 on
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,296
    It’s, um… ok. I guess.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,684
    Great song. 
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    I think it's boring and belongs on an EV solo album.  
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 823
    E.K said:
    Was my initial thought about Something Special. Will keep listening to it from tomorrow and hopefully I'll find some gems in it.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,275
    JT167846 said:
    E.K said:
    Was my initial thought about Something Special. Will keep listening to it from tomorrow and hopefully I'll find some gems in it.
    +1 It doesn't grab me like Dark Matter or Running, I have to listen to it a few times...
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    Love it!
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,873
    I was already singing this, the second time it played, reading the lyrics. Not loud enough for others to hear, but enthusiastically!  I will definitely have it memorized 100% for my 1st show. One of their best "soft" songs in awhile.
    Someone said it had no emotion. I couldn't disagree more.

"Combing through the wreckage" is a sneakily catchy line. It's been in my head since Tuesday night.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    NK10452NK10452 Posts: 33
    Really good song.  Last couple of minutes are great and I think it'll really play live.  Let's go!
    I'm still alive
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,993
    I think it's poorly placed on the record 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,242
    I think the repetition of the last .45 is unnecessary, otherwise pretty pretty pretty good.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    I think I said this at one time too.  I like the song a lot, but I think it should be after Dark Matter.  
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,744
    CROJAM95 said:

massive hit

Only if you go. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,172
    PJammin' said:
    CROJAM95 said:

massive hit

Only if you go. 
    I hear its a pain in the ass to get on, never tried before

Had a great connect for Letterman....Me & our mutual buddy  ;) went on Dave's show like 7,8 times....Once for Ed's Without You Performance, got to have him sign my CD near Ruperts Deli....had a few words about his solo tour, was a great day.

Not better than the Letterman Hype video they show you to get the laughs going prior to the show, the best was Dave working the Taco Bell drive thru.....I crack up just thinking about it =)

SNL would be cool, the Avocado stint was fantastic
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,658
    I just listened to the album for the first time, and while I agree, I think the problem is deeper in that the whole album is a bit all over the place. I'm going to listen more, but my initial reaction is that this is the least cohesive album they've ever made. There is no flow to it at all, and a number of tracks stick out like a sore thumb. Way too many different styles going on. Some nice moments, but the lows are very low.

I dont care for this song at all, and was hoping it would be my least liked track, but I might actually dislike won't tell even more. Something special is an odd addition to a Pearl Jam album as well. I think Eddie should've saved that for a side project. Ugh
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 218
    Lifted said:
    I just listened to the album for the first time, and while I agree, I think the problem is deeper in that the whole album is a bit all over the place. I'm going to listen more, but my initial reaction is that this is the least cohesive album they've ever made. There is no flow to it at all, and a number of tracks stick out like a sore thumb. Way too many different styles going on. Some nice moments, but the lows are very low.

I dont care for this song at all, and was hoping it would be my least liked track, but I might actually dislike won't tell even more. Something special is an odd addition to a Pearl Jam album as well. I think Eddie should've saved that for a side project. Ugh
    This puts a damper on my excitement, as I was hoping it was a nice cohesive album that flowed.  I hear a lot of talk about Petty, and U2, but honestly I really was hoping for Pearl Jam.  A new record that sounded like Pearl Jam, but was fresh and new.  It's disappointing considering that the album was produced by a "super fan", but it seems as though Watt incorporated too much outer influences that washed away the core essence of what we love in Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,147
    I’ve listened about 5 times now. For me, I love it. Lyrically it is very tight in terms of what Ed is writing about. As for the music, Dark Matter is the only one that sounds vastly different to me, and maybe Something Special. It feels fairly cohesive to me, not a jukebox type record. I’m really enjoying it.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,658
    MikeDigs said:
    Lifted said:

This puts a damper on my excitement, as I was hoping it was a nice cohesive album that flowed.  I hear a lot of talk about Petty, and U2, but honestly I really was hoping for Pearl Jam.  A new record that sounded like Pearl Jam, but was fresh and new.  It's disappointing considering that the album was produced by a "super fan", but it seems as though Watt incorporated too much outer influences that washed away the core essence of what we love in Pearl Jam.
    Don't let me put a damper on your excitement. It seems a lot of people are loving it.
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 218
    edited April 18
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:
    Lifted said:

Don't let me put a damper on your excitement. It seems a lot of people are loving it.
    Right, I'm still excited to hear it.  I guess the Wreckage single itself put a damper also, but I was hoping that it would be in the bottom 3 tracks for me.  I really love Running.  And Dark Matter is cool.  I never got in to any of the new albums, and really cherish the first 7 Pearl Jam albums, and I was hoping that we can get something that vibes close to any of the first 7 albums, still new of course, but I guess I mean a similar style of music.
    Post edited by MikeDigs on
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,968
    MikeDigs said:
    Lifted said:
    MikeDigs said:
    Lifted said:

Right, I'm still excited to hear it.  I guess the Wreckage single itself put a damper also, but I was hoping that it would be in the bottom 3 tracks for me.  I really love Running.  And Dark Matter is cool.  I never got in to any of the new albums, and really cherish the first 7 Pearl Jam albums, and I was hoping that we can get something that vibes close to any of the first 7 albums, still new of course, but I guess I mean a similar style of music.
    Wreckage is bottom three for me, so there's hope you'll find things to like in the new album yet!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    ten zten z Posts: 55
    Wreckage still hasn’t shown up on iTunes even though it is on Apple Music.
    PJ Shows I have attended:
    May 15, 2010 Hartford, CT 
    October 12, 2013 Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    PJammin' said:
    CROJAM95 said:

massive hit

Only if you go. 
    I hear its a pain in the ass to get on, never tried before

Had a great connect for Letterman....Me & our mutual buddy  ;) went on Dave's show like 7,8 times....Once for Ed's Without You Performance, got to have him sign my CD near Ruperts Deli....had a few words about his solo tour, was a great day.

Not better than the Letterman Hype video they show you to get the laughs going prior to the show, the best was Dave working the Taco Bell drive thru.....I crack up just thinking about it =)

SNL would be cool, the Avocado stint was fantastic
    Only saw Dave one time, but no PJ. Wish it would’ve been when Dave was obsessed with Black and Eddie came in as a surprise and sang some of it. 😆 

Never tried for SNL but obviously would love to see a show with PJ as a guest. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    MikeDigs said:
    Lifted said:

Don’t listen to anyone and their opinions. Listen to the album alone with no distractions. I believe you’ll really enjoy it. 
  • Options
    rett1448rett1448 Posts: 32

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,576
    ^cool rett
  • Options
    ten zten z Posts: 55
    ten z said:
    Wreckage still hasn’t shown up on iTunes even though it is on Apple Music.
    Wreckage finally showed up in iTunes, but only once the whole album became available.  I listened to it and I really like it.  I find it to be quite soothing.  Holding off on listening to the rest of the album until I can get my hands on a physical copy in the morning.
    PJ Shows I have attended:
    May 15, 2010 Hartford, CT 
    October 12, 2013 Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    williamwilliam Posts: 5
    "Wreckage", sounds like "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman but it is also one of the most lyrically poetic acoustic tracks PJ has released in a long time.  "Combing through the wreckage, holding on, holding out"  Reflecting on the abuse of power and the trauma it leaves behind. The song is cathartic and transcending. I appreciate the subtle similarities to Chapman's song which was also alluding to Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run". Great cultural practitioners all.