Options

Evacuation in DC...what happened?

Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
I finally listened to the DC show and I'm curious as to what happened with "Evacuation"? People have said that Stone was having guitar problems, but it sounds to me like he's playing in a different key right from the start of the song and it's a painful listen. Perhaps he was playing the wrong guitar? Is "Evacuation" in a weird tuning? It angers me a great deal that they did not re-start the song. It ruins the boot for me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,363
    It sounded like a technical issue at the show, but there was a lot of crowd noise to deal with. I'll have to listen to the boot.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    ha!

ruins the boot? how? it's real. that's what bootlegs are about, capturing a moment, not perfection. my husband, also a musician, so loved the fact that a 'big band' such as pewarl jam could have such a train wreck. he obviously has not been to too many pj shows. ;) me, was happy it trainwrecked simply b/c it is one of those rare pj songs....that i cannot stand! :D on the boot, i LOVE it....b/c it brings me back to that amazing night. :cool:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Funniest part about that whole thing was seeing Mike just standing there five seconds in with his hands behind his back waiting for Ed or Stone to acknowledge that the song wasn't gonna happen.
    Jw
  • Options
    ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    ha!

ruins the boot? how? it's real. that's what bootlegs are about, capturing a moment, not perfection. my husband, also a musician, so loved the fact that a 'big band' such as pewarl jam could have such a train wreck. he obviously has not been to too many pj shows. ;) me, was happy it trainwrecked simply b/c it is one of those rare pj songs....that i cannot stand! :D on the boot, i LOVE it....b/c it brings me back to that amazing night. :cool:

He let it riun the boot? Why? ha geez

Thanks for this post. I agree 100%
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    Audio is terrible on this, but here's a link where you can clearly see Ed and Mike pretty much scratching their heads before Mike waves this off completely.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4n6Y6krH9mE
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    mid-song, Mike realized the song sucked and just refused to play it. best part of the show.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    lowlight10 wrote:
    mid-song, Mike realized the song sucked and just refused to play it. best part of the show.

:D

i LOVE the fuck-ups...that's what makes each show special!
    :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Chrono_XChrono_X Posts: 36
    Cheers for the youtube link, that was pretty funny! Mike with his arms behind his back haha! Heard it on the boot, but seeing the vid makes more sense now.
    18/02/03 Melb
    13/11/06 Melb
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    I think Mike just forgot how to play it.
    Same with Marker in NYC.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    It was a real moment to witness. I do wish they would've done the song again, but maybe they didn't want to take the chance to mess it up again. I remember wondering if they'd keep it on the bootleg or not.
    Mary Jane
    ~~~~~~
    09/04/2000 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD
    07/01/2003 Nissan Pavilion Stone Ridge, Bristow, VA
    06/22/2008 Verizon Center, Washington, D.C.
    10/27/2013 Baltimore Arena (1st Mariner), Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    bad case of blue balls
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I stand corrected. It looks like it was Mike. Looked like Stone when I saw it live.

And Marker was not Mike, it was Jeff!

I'm pretty sure Marker was Mike's fault. He said afterward that "I wrote the song, but I still fucked it up." Unless he was covering for Jeff....I'll have to wait for the boot to be sure.
    6/3/06 East Rutherford
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    6/19/08 Camden
    6/20/08 Camden
    6/22/08 DC
    6/25/08 MSG
    8/4/08 EV NYC
    8/5/08 EV NYC
    8/7/08 EV Newark
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I stand corrected. It looks like it was Mike. Looked like Stone when I saw it live.

And Marker was not Mike, it was Jeff!

Nope. Marker was definitely Mike's fuck-up.

Two ways I know: No. 1 -- If you listen to the boot, it's Mike's guitar that stops playing and it's Mike's guitar you hear in the aftermath, trying to figure out the chord progression.

And No. 2 -- Mike fucking admitted to it. "I wrote the song, and I fucked it up."

Seems like a slam-dunk case to me. ;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I think Mike just forgot how to play it.

No, I think it's Stone's fault. Mike and Jeff are playing in the same (correct) key, and Stone is off somewhere else. You can see him hand his guitar to the roadie after the whole fiasco.
  • Options
    ribbanggaribbangga Posts: 10
    if that ruined the show, Black ~~~~> RVM by far made up for it. I was at the show and can't stop listening to that version of black. cheers.
    The whole world will be different soon
    The whole world will be relieved
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    I remember wondering if they'd keep it on the bootleg or not.

Pearl Jam DOES NOT edit their bootlegs ever! if they ever did, I would refuse to buy it.

doing 2 shows and taking the best takes from each night is for lazy, narcisistic bands. they are human, they make mistakes. grow a pair and release it in a pure and real way.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,363
    lowlight10 wrote:
    Pearl Jam DOES NOT edit their bootlegs ever! if they ever did, I would refuse to buy it.

Pretty sure someone said that Ed's banter was taken out from between a couple of songs on one show. Can't remember which tho.
  • Options
    plus they took Arc off of every show they played it.