March Madness

13»

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    ZoSoTim said:
    Poncier said:
    NC State and DJ Burns are a fun watch.
    He’s amazing. I’m surprised how skilled he is for a dude his size. Been watching them since the ACC Tournament. 
    He’s listed at 275. I think 3 bills, easy.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    Being a NC State grad I didn't think I would ever see them back in the Final Four. The last couple of weeks have been a wild ride.
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 615
    Wobbie said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    Poncier said:
    NC State and DJ Burns are a fun watch.
    He’s amazing. I’m surprised how skilled he is for a dude his size. Been watching them since the ACC Tournament. 
    He’s listed at 275. I think 3 bills, easy.
    With as tall as he is I’d bet closer to 350. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,180
    Pretty cool
    both UConn teams
    both NC State

party oarty

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,064
    well my brackets are busted..

Duke beating Houston killed my brackets...

Only 1 team left in the FF w Alabama.

Oh well.  It was fun.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,451
    Wobbie said:
    Was just reading about NIL as how it relates to the school up the road from me…Utah State.

they had a new coach this year. They won the Mountain West and won a game in the tournament. Washington swooped in and signed the USU coach for 6 years, $22M. He wants to compete for a national title and I’m sure he liked the raise. The thing is, USU can’t pay for championship level talent. They say a good Mountain West player will cost you $100k. Half a mil for a good starting five. Power 5 conference schools can pay that to one player. I’m all for players getting some money but a half a mil seems crazy….and not good for “the game.”
    Wobbie said:
    Was just reading about NIL as how it relates to the school up the road from me…Utah State.

they had a new coach this year. They won the Mountain West and won a game in the tournament. Washington swooped in and signed the USU coach for 6 years, $22M. He wants to compete for a national title and I’m sure he liked the raise. The thing is, USU can’t pay for championship level talent. They say a good Mountain West player will cost you $100k. Half a mil for a good starting five. Power 5 conference schools can pay that to one player. I’m all for players getting some money but a half a mil seems crazy….and not good for “the game.”
    It's going to be the have's and the have nots, and the have nots won't be able to compete. And if they do get a good recruiting class, that will probably be mostly under-recruited players or just improve in a year or 2, they will leave where they can get more NIL money. It'll be a vicious cycle.  

Probably the main reason why coaches like Jay Wright and Nick Saban got out?
  • Options
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:

Wobbie said:

It's going to be the have's and the have nots, and the have nots won't be able to compete. And if they do get a good recruiting class, that will probably be mostly under-recruited players or just improve in a year or 2, they will leave where they can get more NIL money. It'll be a vicious cycle.  

Probably the main reason why coaches like Jay Wright and Nick Saban got out?
    I think so.

here’s another gripe: the less prestigious NIT used to take all the conference champs who didn’t get the automatic NCAA bid by winning their conference tourney. If I’m not mistaken Toledo has won the MAC 6 of the last 7 years but never gone to the big dance because they haven’t won the crapshoot of the conference tourney. Now, the NIT doesn’t even take all mid major conference champs…the new agreement is they take at least two power 5 and two big east.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I found this funny.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I think we’re going to get the best final matchups, men’s and women’s.

What the hell do some of these commentators do the other 49 weeks of the year? Seems Clark Kellogg and Seth Davis only pop up in March.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    ^^^ that is, unless Bama wins.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:

Wobbie said:

Like Mark Sears of Alabama? First played at my Alma mater, lil’ ol’ Ohio University :angry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Auburn alum Barkley just shaded Bama by saying if Bama wins there won’t be enough Natty Light and PBR to go around.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:

Wobbie said:

Like Mark Sears of Alabama? First played at my Alma mater, lil’ ol’ Ohio University :angry:
    YES.

Another Alabama player,  Aaron Estrada, who I saw play in HS, went to St. Peters(MAAC Frosh of the year)  his Frosh year and the went to Oregon where he didn't do much, then to Hofstra(CAA player of the Year) then to Alabama. It seems to me that I saw him in HS about 8 years ago-LOL
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:

Wobbie said:

YES.

Another Alabama player,  Aaron Estrada, who I saw play in HS, went to St. Peters(MAAC Frosh of the year)  his Frosh year and the went to Oregon where he didn't do much, then to Hofstra(CAA player of the Year) then to Alabama. It seems to me that I saw him in HS about 8 years ago-LOL
    I saw Estrada at Hofstra. I go to one or two games a year there since one of my best friends is a season ticket holder so I know a lot about Hofstra hoops through him.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    Looks like Calipari is headed to Arkansas.  Who goes to Kentucky? Hurley, Nate Oats?  Doubt Hurly goes so I think it's gonna end up being Oats.
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 615
    Oats has an $18 million buyout. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go after Scott Drew. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Looks like Calipari is headed to Arkansas.  Who goes to Kentucky? Hurley, Nate Oats?  Doubt Hurly goes so I think it's gonna end up being Oats.
    Isn't Hurley happy where he is?
  • Options
    So my womens bracket I thought was doing EXCELLENT!  Until i realized I put Iowa st to go to the FF and not Iowa...

Whoops.

I did pick SC to win though.  Didn't win the Nissan...
  • Options
    So the SC vs Iowa game.  Beginning the Iowa team was looking great then they seem to fall apart.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    So the SC vs Iowa game.  Beginning the Iowa team was looking great then they seem to fall apart.
    I'll admit I was nervous when Iowa jumped out to that 11 or 12 point lead. I kept telling myself to wait for the 2nd and 3rd quarters where we typically take control of the game. Happy that Raven Johnson got some revenge for last year. She didn't shoot well, but played stellar defense against Clark. She held Clark to something like 1-7 shooting with 3 steals and 2 blocked shots. Go Gamecocks!
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    I HOPE it's not Hurley. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    I HOPE it's not Hurley. 
    Either way Hurley is going to get a huge raise. Either by going to Kentucky or UConn keeping him around.

Scott Drew is another name. I think it ends up as Oats or Drew.
  • Options
    Calipari’s not gonna look good in red.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084
    UConn is probably the most inevitable national champion since Kentucky in 1996 I'd think.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    UConn is probably the most inevitable national champion since Kentucky in 1996 I'd think.
    how right you were.

“that’s domination, homes”

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13