Options

"The Paisley Underground"

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
Feeling as though I've gone off-topic perhaps more than I ought to on the "Happiness Bastards- The Black Crowes" thread (sorry guys!) I figured it's time to have a "Paisley Underground" thread. I put that title in quotes because many of the musicians who are or were a part of that music scene actually hate that title the way some member of the "Grunge" scene hate that name (including myself).  But as a general reference I've used it here because it's the name that stuck (I happen to like it). 
I could write a book about The Paisley Underground music movement but I'll try to be somewhat brief and assume/ hope some of you are familiar with this anyway, and very much hope others are open to checking it out.  
The Paisley Underground refers to a musical genre that came out of California- especially the Los Angeles area- in the mid 80's.  Like many others, I was drawn to this group of musicians and bands because so much music at that time was just not very satisfying.  Many of the 60's to early 70's bands and musicians had grown stale or broken up or simply died (Hendrix, Joplin, Brian Jones, Keith Moon, etc).  Disco was big but no attractive for a lot of us rock fans.  Punk and hardcore was cool except, for some of us, the endless pummeling of hardcore just did not provide diverse enough musics for our aural diet of sound. 
So what Paisley Underground offered was an excellent blend of diverse rock influences including psychedelia, garage rock, jangley Byrdsian pop, country rock, replete with engaging harmonies, excellent guitar jam interplay, and spiced with some new wave and punk influences.
The major bands that populated this genre included:

The Bangles
The Dream Syndicate
Game Theory
Green on Red
Long Ryders
Rain Parade
The Three O'clock
True West

Some of these band morphed into others including Opal, Mazzy Star, Danny and Dusty, the Baseball Project, and others. 

So that's the basic rundown.  Feel free to fill in missing gaps, talk about some of your favorite bands, groups in this genre you've seen, etc.
And if you're not familiar with any of this, there's a ton a rich music to mine here, and I can almost guarantee there is something (or a lot of somethings!) that just might thrill your soul!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,516
    I really like The Three O'clock, and their former guitarist Jason Falkner went on the play on one of my favorite albums "Bellybutton" by Jellyfish.
  • Options
    I really like The Three O'clock, and their former guitarist Jason Falkner went on the play on one of my favorite albums "Bellybutton" by Jellyfish.

Yeah, I like The Three O'clock as well, clear back to when they were called The Salvation Army.  They did some nice numbers on this fine album:

The Bangles*The Three O'ClockThe Dream SyndicateRain Parade – 3×4

Label:Yep Roc Records – YEP-2596
    Format:
    2 x Vinyl, LP, Record Store Day, Stereo, Purple Swirl
    Released:Nov 23, 2018
    Genre:Rock, Pop
    Style:Psychedelic Rock, Pop Rock, Alternative Rock, Jangle Pop, Power Pop
    Seems I remember hearing about Jellyfish.  I'll have to check that out again. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,516
    I will check out these groups. I have heard a lot of good things about the Dream Syndicate.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    I was a teenager in L.A. during the Paisley Underground.....I really liked the Long Ryders!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I was a teenager in L.A. during the Paisley Underground.....I really liked the Long Ryders!

Yeah, great stuff! 
    And I really admire Stephen McCarthy as a multi-instrumentalist.  He added some nice touches to the last Dream Syndicate albums, especially The Universe Inside- everything from guitars to electric sitar to backing vocals.   And some fine work with Gutterball as well.

• Options
    Here's another one the great albums from the Pailsey Underground sub-genre of rock, the self titled True West

True West – True West

Label:Bring Out Your Dead Records – BOYD-1001
    Format:
    Vinyl, EP, 12"
    Released:1983
    Genre:Rock
    Style:Psychedelic Rock, Indie Rock

I'm probably only one of ten people who have ever even heard of this album (I can't be certain of that number because, to be honest, I have yet to meet a single one of them.)  As good as it is, this is an album that only get played around here once in a long while (like I did today) because the guitars are totally cranked and at full treble and it always leaves my tinnitus jacked up.  But what glorious pain!  This is a terrific album that's criminally under-recognized. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Here's another one the great albums from the Pailsey Underground sub-genre of rock, the self titled True West

True West – True West

Format:
    Vinyl, EP, 12"

I'm probably only one of ten people who have ever even heard of this album (I can't be certain of that number because, to be honest, I have yet to meet a single one of them.)  As good as it is, this is an album that only get played around here once in a long while (like I did today) because the guitars are totally cranked and at full treble and it always leaves my tinnitus jacked up.  But what glorious pain!  This is a terrific album that's criminally under-recognized. 
    Saw them open for REM in the mid 80s!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,059
    Would the B-52's be a part of this?

Wall of Voodoo and Concrete Blonde?
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:

True West – True West

Format:
    Vinyl, EP, 12"

Saw them open for REM in the mid 80s!

A first!  Now I can say I know someone who is familiar with True West.  Very cool, Joe!

• Options

All good stuff there, bud, and in a similar vein, and I could see them closely related to the Paisleys- especially Wall of Voodoo.  The main thing that separates Paisley Underground bands from other early alternative and post-punk bands is they are all west coast bands bands that originated in Southern California, Sacramento and Davis.  Style and sound-wise, the bands I think of as similar and could even be considered Paisley Underground would include The Plimsouls, Beat Rodeo, Game Theory, Opal, and probably some others.  
    I'm actually a bit surprised Wall of Voodoo isn't defined as a V.U. band, so good pick there! Perhaps Concrete Blonde as well.  I think of B-52s as more from the Athens, GA/ R.E.M./ Mitch Easter, etc. camp.

• Options
    brianlux said:

All good stuff there, bud, and in a similar vein, and I could see them closely related to the Paisleys- especially Wall of Voodoo.  The main thing that separates Paisley Underground bands from other early alternative and post-punk bands is they are all west coast bands bands that originated in Southern California, Sacramento and Davis.  Style and sound-wise, the bands I think of as similar and could even be considered Paisley Underground would include The Plimsouls, Beat Rodeo, Game Theory, Opal, and probably some others.  
    I'm actually a bit surprised Wall of Voodoo isn't defined as a V.U. band, so good pick there! Perhaps Concrete Blonde as well.  I think of B-52s as more from the Athens, GA/ R.E.M./ Mitch Easter, etc. camp.
    I would have to respectfully disagree with you regarding Wall of Voodoo...IMHO, they were more of a dark, new wave synth band.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:

I would have to respectfully disagree with you regarding Wall of Voodoo...IMHO, they were more of a dark, new wave synth band.
    With the addition of Prieboy they wouldn't fit the bill?  He came from up North.  I've never heard of the Paisley movement so I am intrigued, lol!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:

You're probably right.  To be honest, I never listened to them much past "Mexican Radio" which somehow I recall as being sort of country punk influenced.  Beyond that, it sounds like you are better versed in their approach.

• Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:

With the addition of Prieboy they wouldn't fit the bill?  He came from up North.  I've never heard of the Paisley movement so I am intrigued, lol!

It's a great little sub-genre of rock you might enjoy a lot.  Some LP choices to possibly start from would be:
    The Dream Syndicate, Days of Wine and Roses (and going forward, I love all their albums of various incarnations)
    Rain Parade:  the better know being Emergency Third Rail Power Trip, though my favorite is the mini LP, Explosions in the Glass Palace
    Green on Red:  Gas Food Lodging and Gravity Talks
    The Bangles: All Over the Place
    The Long Ryders:  Native Sons
    True West: the self titled mini album, or its expanded version, Hollywood Holiday

• Options
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:

You're probably right.  To be honest, I never listened to them much past "Mexican Radio" which somehow I recall as being sort of country punk influenced.  Beyond that, it sounds like you are better versed in their approach.
    Their first record is a great listen....it is on Spotify if you are so inclined and so equipped!
  • Options
    edited April 27
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:

Their first record is a great listen....it is on Spotify if you are so inclined and so equipped!

All this talk of Wall of Voodoo got me to thinking... and then digging around... and then I found this in one of my boxes of 45s.  I'll have to give it a spin tonight!  The flip side is "Call of the Wild" which I remember as being very cool also.  Man, I haven't played this single in a hundred years!

• Options
    Here's another terrific Paisley Underground spinoff group- Kendra Smith (Opal, The Dream Syndicate), David Roback (Clay Allison, The Rain Parade, Opal, Mazzy Star), and Keith Mitchell (Chris Cacavas & Junkyard Love, Opal, Romans), Fell From the Sun. I love this EP like mad every time I listen to it.  There are variations of this EP.  This is the one I've had or quite awhile:

Kendra Smith, David Roback, Keith Mitchell (3) – Fell From The Sun

Label:Serpent Records – E1092, Serpent Records – Enigma E1092
    Format:
    Vinyl, 12", 33 ⅓ RPM, Stereo
    Released:1984

• Options
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:

All this talk of Wall of Voodoo got me to thinking... and then digging around... and then I found this in one of my boxes of 45s.  I'll have to give it a spin tonight!  The flip side is "Call of the Wild" which I remember as being very cool also.  Man, I haven't played this single in a hundred years!

Thats a single you won't see every day!
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:

Thats a single you won't see every day!

It's a keeper, for sure!