Options

Reflections on the Shows I've seen

tsaraxtsarax Buffalo, NY Posts: 245
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
It's been a couple weeks since the Hartford show and I've been thinking about the 6 Pearl Jam concerts I've now seen.

Here are my thoughts from favorite show to least. (Keep in mind, least favorite for a PJ show is still better than most other bands!)

1. Buffalo 2003- This was my 1st PJ show. Although I had owned every album from Ten to Riot Act, I hadn't really thought much about the band in years. I had no plans in going to the show, but my wife had obtained a presale password and, since the tickets were only $35 each, we bought them... MY LIFE WOULD NEVER AGAIN BE THE SAME! Easily the best concert I've ever seen. I had no idea how good they were live. I've sure most would agree that the Buffalo 2003 show is one of the best from that tour. They played and played and played and played! Went well past curfew and came out for 3 encores. It's funny thinking back that the 1st song I could recognize back then was Corduroy (maybe 5 or 6 songs in). Of course, now I know them all. Just a great first experience to seeing PJ live.

2. TIE- Hamilton 2005/Hartford 2008- For now, I'll say these two are tied. The freshness gives Hartford an edge, but we'll see as time wears on. The Hamilton show was great! I got to hear Porch as an opener. Then they launched into several fast songs in a row. Eddie's interaction with the crowd made the night special as well. He had the crowd congratulate friends of his that were getting married (and he couldn't attend because of the tour). Heard many songs live for the first time, including some favorites such as Indifference and In My Tree. The "Untitled" portion before MFC was a special treat as was Harvest Moon.
Hartford- Everyones been talking about this one on the boards. I feel really lucky that I've seen two "legendary" shows in just 6 tries (Buffalo being the other one IMO). Heard 12 songs I hadn't heard live before and the band was on fire that night. The people around me were totally into it to. A great experience.

3. Toronto 2006- Saw them on the 2nd night. It was great hearing stuff off the new album live. The "I Got Shit/Cinnamon Girl" comparison from Eddie was a lot of fun. I was also happy to be able to hear Man of the Hour. All in all, it seemed like the band were really enjoying themselves.

4. Hershey 2003- Walking away from this one, immediately after the show, I was disappointed. I think I was spoiled from my 1st show in Buffalo 2 months before. It just couldnt compare. The venue was outdoors, and we were up in the side bleachers. The band didn't seem to have the same energy as they did in Buffalo. I think I was expecting the same length and energy as the Buffalo show, and it wasn't there. Reflecting back, though, they played some songs I've never heard live since (Get Right, Help Help, Thin Air, Glorified G) and of course the mosquito bite remark was priceless!

5. Toronto 2005- My least favorite show. I saw this one less than a week after Hamilton and, again, I think the comparison hurt my opinion of this show. The setlist read like a Greatest Hits. All the usual suspects were played that night. Some of the more unusual songs lacked feeling for me because I had just heard them in Hamilton (1/2 Full, Present Tense, Harvest Moon). Also, compared to Hamilton, Eddie really didn't talk or joke with the crowd. They really just played hit after hit with little crowd interaction. Habit and Leaving Here were the only songs I hadn't heard live before. On the plus side, I remember the crowd being really really loud and Bono coming out for RITFW was a great bonus!

There they are. Post your memories or comment on mine. Can't wait for the next tour! :)
05-02-03 Buffalo; 07-12-03 Hershey; 09-13-05 Hamilton; 09-19-05 Toronto; 05-10-06 Toronto; 06-27-08 Hartford; 08-21-09 Toronto; 05-09-10 Cleveland; 05-10-10 Buffalo; 09-11-11 Toronto; 09-15-11 Hamilton; 07-16-13 London; 05-10-16 Toronto
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Charlotte (1996) - Casual fan. Main goal that night was to make money scalping tickets. Hey, college ain't cheap. Ended up seeing something I never expected. I was hooked. Decided to head to Charleston the next night

Charleston (1996) - Ended up in Charleston around 6am. Partied with friends that day. Another great show. Indoors this time. Totally different feel.

East Troy (1998) - Was going to Chicago to vacation anyways so decided to get some tickets and make the drive up. Almost didn't get in the venue in time because of my girlfriend at that time. She decided to go wander and get lost. Great show. Great venue! Major storm afterwards. Slept in the car in someones driveway after pulling over because of the rain.

Chicago (1998) - After seeing the East Troy show, decided to go ahead and buy some tickets from a ticket broker. If I recall, we got them fairly cheap. Best show ever for me up until that point! I was dying to get my hands on a recording. Finally did a few months later. Shitty quality but I jammed it alot! Years later, finally got a good quality copy. Baba was a highlight for me that night I recall.

Greenville (1998) - Last minute decided to drive down for the show. Looking back, I'm not sure why I didn't already have tickets. It was only a couple hours from home. Maybe work or something. Glad I went. Sat sidestage. Eddie moved around towards the back with his tamborine that he just smashed over his head. Looked at me and then threw it in front of me so nobody could get to it. Sat outside after the show thinking I'd somehow get it signed. Never happened. Oh to be young again.

Charlotte (2000) - Finally joined ten club in 1998. Since then I'd become obsessed. Not in a bad way. Just started trying to get a hold of bootlegs, followed the forums. bought some posters. Anyways, they were finally back. This was just after Roskilde. I had worried that the tour may not actually happen. Great show. Present Tense was ridiculous.

Greensbor0 (2000) - Just up the road. Went with some friends. Made some new ones who I still hang with til this day. Parking lot was fun. Recall Smile being the highlight.

Atlanta (2000) - Last minute decision. Another good choice. I believe we were running late. Didn't have much time to hang out in the lots. Buddy decides to find some hallucinogens. First experience for me at a concert. Boy was I in for a ride. I found a new favorite show that night. The entire thing was a highlight. My friend had wanted to hear Release desperately. I wasn't the biggest fan of the song. Silly me. That all changed that night. Release opener that sent shivers up my spine. One of my all time favorites now.

Raleigh (2003) - Nice little roadtrip. Bunch of friends. Met more there. New friend from England that rode back to Charlotte with us. Biggest memory was Porch from that show for some reason.

Charlotte (2003) - Best seats I had for a show. Few rows back in front of Mike. Great show! Creed Disease was hilarious.

Nashville (2003) - Another last minute roadtrip. Rode with a buddy out there. Shitty seats. Sound sucked where I was. Probably drank a bit too much before the show. I think I was just worn down. Good show nonetheless. Oh yeah, and Bushleaguer was awesome.

Atlanta (2003) - Had my buddy drop me off at the airport so I could get a rental car to Atlanta since he had to head home. Drove to Atlanta airport. Trained it to the venue. Met a bunch of friends who I would ride back home with. Crown of Thorns was a highlight. Lawn seats. I think this was the show I decided that I wouldn't do lawn for PJ. Any other show is fine, but I like to be up in the mix.

Philadelphia (2003) - Two nights in Philly. Pregame in the lots were a shit ton of fun. Fireworks during one of the songs. Rockin in the Free world mid set I believe.

MSG (2003) - Another two night stand. Open container ticket for wine in front of MSG. Night 1 was amazing as most everyone has seen. New favorite show for me. Night 2 just couldn't compare but still a great set. Porch highlight night 2.

Hershey (2003) - Met some friends and camped near Hershey. Had a blast before the show with everyone. Show wasn't quite what I'd hoped. Maybe it was just hard to follow MSG. We were worn down by this point too. Time to go home. Almost went to Boston though. Regret not doing it. Boston 3, wow.

Asheville (2004) - FRONT ROW TICKETS.... and in front of Mike. Band was really late. Great show. Small venue. Another awesome Baba. Great afterparty at the hotel parking lot.

Kissimmee (2004) - Afterparty made this drive hell. Finally got there. Show was awesome. Somehow managed to sneak a bottle of wine in the show. What the hell was I thinking. Ended up sharing it with neighbors. This show was one of the most fun I'd been to. Everyone was super rad around us.

Kitchener (2005) - After finally getting into Canada, made it to the show. I love Canadians! Met some great folks in the parking lot. The show was sick. Small venue again.

London (2005) - Stayed with a friend who lives in Hamilton. Convinced him to come check out the show. Smile was a highlight. Stone also sang that night I think.

Hamilton (2005) - 3rd night in a row. After struggling to find a cheap hotel, ended up dropping serious coin on hotel next to the place. We were beat after two nights in a row. Had a serious toothache that I thought was surely going to ruin the night. After the show started, that all changed. Amazing show. Lots of fun. Harvest Moon was a highlight. Hated that this mini tour was over for me.

Hollywood (2006) - Flew into LA to do a Santa Barbarba to Gorge trip with friends. Started with just two of us. We decide to swing by venue just to see if we'd luck out somehow. Met Mike. Saw some of the rest of the band. After we realized we weren't getting tickets we went to the pub to have a couple beers before heading to Santa Barbara. Decided to swing by the venue one last time. One of the roadies steps out and hands us two tickets! Holy shit! We bolt in just in time to catch the beginning. Tiny venue. Show was a blur from being so excited. Still can't believe that one happened. Masters of War highlight.

Santa Barbara (2006) - What a beautiful place and beautiful venue. Met up with some friends from back home. Great seats. Great acoustic set. Unbelievable show. Oceans opener. Crazy Mary was insane.

San Fran (2006) - Met up with more friends. Stayed at the hostel which was a great experience. Awesome people. The 3 shows kinda run together in my head. All were great. Leash!

Portland (2006) - Don't drink high gravity beers before a show. Someone failed to tell me there the norm in Portland. Unfortunately, this entire show is lost for me. I remember being in the venue and a few faint memories. Regret screwing that one up. Met some more friends though who were going to ride to the Gorge with us.

Gorge (2006) - Two nights in the desert. My god was it hot. Camping there was all it's been hyped up to be. First night was my new favorite show. It's OK!! Blood red sunset that was neverending. Stayed up way too late that night. Felt it the next day along with the sun burning my legs as I woke up to 100 degrees temps at 9am. Second night was good but the trip was catching up to me. Bittersweet end but it was time to pack it up and get some rest.

Columbia (2008) - The waiting drove me mad. Bunch of friends head down. Didn't expect do be blown away like I was. Best setlist I've heard. Red Mosquito! WMA! Great seats. Great energy.

Obviously very random thoughts. I'm counting down the days until the next show. Not sure when that will be but glad I always have something to look forward to. Wish I would have done a little tour this time around but it gets tougher as time goes by. Dammit responsibility! Thanks PJ!
    CLT, CHLSTN '96
    East Troy Chicago Greenville '98
    Charlotte Greensboro Atlanta '00
    Raleigh Nashville Atlanta Camden 1&2 '03
    MSG 1&2 Hershey '03
    Asheville Kissimmee '04
    Kitchener London Hamilton '05
    Pitt Cincy Hollywood Santa Barbara SF 1/2/3 '06
    Portland Gorge 1&2 '06
  • Options
    renzorockrenzorock Posts: 59
    unreal show. I went to Bonnaroo, so I was a tough customer. Unreal (surprisingly so) show.

My top 5:

1. Boston Garden night 2, 1994: night after Cobain died and there was something in the air. The premiered Corduroy and Immortality at those shows. Energy level was off the hook.

2. Mansfield 03: the Experiment. I'm gonna cheat and call all 3 shows one big one here.

3. Bonnaro 08: wow! Energy, set, location, and crowd all clicked.

4. Hawaii 06:

5. Albany 03