Options

Medical Need to Give Myself a Shot

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
I found out from my cardiologist that I can have a tattoo, but as I have a stroke history and other cardiac issues I have to do some things. I usually take blood thinners, and that would stop before the tattoo, and resume after it. Instead I have to take a shot that I give myself. EEEEEEEEEEEEK! I'm sure I can get over it. I have had this shot done to me (lovenox) whenever I stay overnight in a hospital, but the thought of it is making me sweat. I'll get over it. I'll get over it. I'll get over it. It's all about the purple stickman tattoo.

Anyway, have you had to get over giving yourself shots? Oi! EEEK!
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited February 13
    I've never given myself a shot, but I have given myself a (successful) tattoo, and I can say that when I did it it hurt WAY less than when a professional did it for me!! And it was in the same spot too, so placement wasn't the issue. I feel that it was because I had the control. Maybe it will be the same with the shot. After this you may want to give yourself all your shots from now on, haha.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I feel that it was because I had the control. Maybe it will be the same with the shot. After this you may want to give yourself all your shots from now on, haha.
    hahahahaha  :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I found out from my cardiologist that I can have a tattoo, but as I have a stroke history and other cardiac issues I have to do some things. I usually take blood thinners, and that would stop before the tattoo, and resume after it. Instead I have to take a shot that I give myself. EEEEEEEEEEEEK! I'm sure I can get over it. I have had this shot done to me (lovenox) whenever I stay overnight in a hospital, but the thought of it is making me sweat. I'll get over it. I'll get over it. I'll get over it. It's all about the purple stickman tattoo.

I give myself a shot every day. No big deal. 
    Don't get me wrong, I am not thrilled about it, but 75% of the time I don't feel a thing. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    Maaaan, what a rip off.  I've poked, stapled, cut, contused, bruised, shocked, sprained, and broken myself, and all I ever got out of it was some scars.
    I hope it goes well, Ms Haiku.  Just be careful!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I had to do this last year for a few months.  My advice is to lightly poke around to find a spot that is less sensitive.  Insert slowly and Inject slowly (over 30-60 seconds) and you shouldn’t feel much discomfort afterwards.   if you go quick, you will disrupt muscle tissue which leads to a little soreness that usually goes away after 15 minutes.   

After a week it will become routine. 

If all else fails, recite this quote from book Dune:

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

;) 

• Options
    edited February 14
    Jason P said:
    I had to do this last year for a few months.  My advice is to lightly poke around to find a spot that is less sensitive.  Insert slowly and Inject slowly (over 30-60 seconds) and you shouldn’t feel much discomfort afterwards.   if you go quick, you will disrupt muscle tissue which leads to a little soreness that usually goes away after 15 minutes.   

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

;) 

Thank you for the idea of inserting slowly as I had planned to go fast and get it over. I'll have a stop watch and time it as you suggested.

I have a plan. I will think of three people who I had crushes on in high school, and say their names (insert (first person's name), push in medicine (second person's name), take needle out (third person's name). I will reexperience the embarrassment of high school and it will block out any attention to the pain.  =)

High school was good for something!
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Jason P said:

;) 

Thank you for the idea of inserting slowly as I had planned to go fast and get it over. I'll have a stop watch and time it as you suggested.

I have a plan. I will think of three people who I had crushes on in high school, and say their names (insert (first person's name), push in medicine (second person's name), take needle out (third person's name). I will reexperience the embarrassment of high school and it will block out any attention to the pain.  =)

High school was good for something!

It does help to have a routine!  

The insertion doesn't need to take super long ... kind of the speed you would dip your finger into hot water.  When injecting, just go slow enough were you don't feel the injection ... if you feel it that is an indication that muscle tissue is being agitated.  After a week or so you will have a good feel (literately) for it.   And I usually set aside 10-15 minutes to sit on a couch afterwards ... that seemed to help avoid discomfort.   Once I got the speed down, I only sat for around 5 minutes afterwards.  And it kind of helped me to keep a little pressure over the injection spot with my hand during the cool down. 

Remember to swab the area with an alcohol patch/cotton ball prior.  I think the website for lovonex has an instructional video with delightful corny music. 

The key thing is that you can do this.  You are strong.  And gosh darn it, people like you!

Peace
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Jason P said:

;) 

I love that quote. It has served me well over the years.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Jason P said:

The insertion doesn't need to take super long ... kind of the speed you would dip your finger into hot water.  When injecting, just go slow enough were you don't feel the injection ... if you feel it that is an indication that muscle tissue is being agitated.  After a week or so you will have a good feel (literately) for it.   And I usually set aside 10-15 minutes to sit on a couch afterwards ... that seemed to help avoid discomfort.   Once I got the speed down, I only sat for around 5 minutes afterwards.  And it kind of helped me to keep a little pressure over the injection spot with my hand during the cool down. 

Remember to swab the area with an alcohol patch/cotton ball prior.  I think the website for lovonex has an instructional video with delightful corny music. 

The key thing is that you can do this.  You are strong.  And gosh darn it, people like you!

Peace
    Thank you! Yes doggone it, people like me!
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    Ms. Haiku said:

Hi Ms. Haiku, been a while.  Nice to see you!!  Regarding your post . . . Oh hell no, gives me chills just thinking about you having to do it.  I've given blood over 130 times and I have NEVER seen the needle, I just look away.  Can't imagine having to give myself a shot.  Hell no!  Good luck to you though!
  • Options
    Shots are done. It was much easier than expected. Overall, the shots went in quicker than expected, and I didn't need to try a mind game to handle it. I tried to go slow, and the time I was quickest I had the most "pinching" pain afterwards. It went away in less than an hour. Only one time did I bleed, but that stopped quickly. If the tattoo goes well tomorrow I wouldn't be against getting another tattoo and going through this again. It is not a pleasant experience, but it is doable. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,996
    Best of luck. Show us the results tomorrow. I'm sure it will go just fine.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    PJ_Soul said:
    I've never given myself a shot, but I have given myself a (successful) tattoo, and I can say that when I did it it hurt WAY less than when a professional did it for me!! And it was in the same spot too, so placement wasn't the issue. I feel that it was because I had the control. Maybe it will be the same with the shot. After this you may want to give yourself all your shots from now on, haha.
    you tattooed yourself??
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 8
    PJ_Soul said:
    you tattooed yourself??

Lol, yup! When I was like 18, with a needle, a lighter, and some India ink. It turned out super well! I didn't look like a prison tattoo at all, haha. It was just small, like probably smaller than a loonie, on my ankle bone. I loved it. I did it because I was in some assembly at school shortly before graduating high school and I drew on my ankle out of boredom, and really like what I drew, so on impulse I just tattooed it on there when I got home. :lol: Unfortunately, I chose to get a professional tattoo a couple years later, and I really couldn't think of another place on my body where I wanted it, so I got that on top of my own. I quite regret that. I wish I had just gotten the new one on the other leg. :(
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    edited March 8
    *for our American friends, a loonie is the slang term for a Canadian one dollar coin (it has a picture of a loon on it)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    *for our American friends, a loonie is the slang term for a Canadian one dollar coin (it has a picture of a loon on it)
    Now do twonie.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Now do twonie.

Oh, we did, in 1996. :lol: But it is spelled Toonie. :lol:  Apparently they cared more about matching it to loonie than they did the numerical meaning, haha.

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,911
    PJ_Soul said:
    Poncier said:
    Now do twonie.

Oh, we did, in 1996. :lol: But it is spelled Toonie. :lol:  Apparently they cared more about matching it to loonie than they did the numerical meaning, haha.

Did that not catch on - unlike our super popular $2 bill  ;)
  • Options
    So, that was painful. As I have the experience of giving myself shots I handled it like a boss. My breathing only slightly changed as the artist tattooed me.

The artist convinced me to do it in black because of the fading difference from purple. It is classic looking. 

I'll post an image soon. :)
  • Options
    Well done. Take a picture as soon as you can tattoos look best straight after they are done 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Beauty!
  • Options
    Perfect 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited March 10
    GlowGirl said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Poncier said:
    Now do twonie.

Did that not catch on - unlike our super popular $2 bill  ;)
    Yup - loonies and toonies aren't going anywhere. Standard currency. The toonie actually replaced the $2 bill (and the loonie replaced the $1 bill), which we had forever. They switched because coins last forever while paper money only lasts 6 months in circulation. Of course now all our bills are made of polymer, so they fixed that problem too for $5+.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on