Options

"How To Have Sex" movie and the importance of consent dialogue

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
edited February 2 in A Moving Train
I am a father to two teen girls. So reading about this movie, it really hits how often I worry about this stuff. I think it's super important to show these movies not just to women, but to GUYS too to show them what consent means, how to have discussions about it in "the heat of things" if someone were to suddenly want to cease activities, etc. 

I've been there. I was with a girl once at a party. we were getting "hot and heavy", and she said suddenly she " didn't want to". I said "ok, whatever you're comfortable with, you wanna go back out to the party, or just hang out here for a while?" and she started sobbing. She said she had never experienced a guy saying that before. It was all pressure pressure pressure pressure and often anger. It made me so sad that was her experience at ANY age, but still, we were mid teens. I was kinda grossed out (not at her, obviously). We dated for a little while after that, went our separate ways, and then I found out a few years later she died under circumstances her family never would divulge. 

anyway, encourage these conversations. I have faith that, I think since this type of talk is so normalized these days, that this generation is open to talking about such things amongst their peer groups. Gen Xers (at least no one I know) just didn't have those conversations. 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/02/entertainment/how-to-have-sex-molly-manning-walker-interview/index.html
Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,642
    Aww. What a terrible loss. Good for you to take learnings and teachings from it. Im more at the - teach when the ova is in the fallopian tube - age, but ill come back to this in a year...
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    One of the only good things to come out of the last season of Sex Education was an episode about consent.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    Spunkie said:
    Aww. What a terrible loss. Good for you to take learnings and teachings from it. Im more at the - teach when the ova is in the fallopian tube - age, but ill come back to this in a year...

disclaimer, no children sooo not in a position to make these kinds of decisions.

I also want to say this isnt a judgement on your choice for your choice. if it comes across that way or you feel that, its not my intent and I'll apologize right now at the outset.

this feels to me to be a bit late in the game. there are loads of opportunities to establish consent well before potential sexual activity might be contemplated. 

A friend and his wife were given custodyof his oldr brothers young children. including a 2 yr old girl. whole other story as to why but it did spark a decision by them on her behalf.

in effect, its up to the girl to decide who she hugs, gives kisses to, etc. they arent going to encourage her to engage in ways she doesnt want to...

thay have made clear they dont care a whit about what anyone else who might force that interaction with her feels about it. She rules her body. Person X  doesn't like it, theres the door.....

I would hope you've established something similar already. if not, maybe this broadens the idea around consent in any interaction  for you and others

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,642

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    edited February 5
    I am a father to two teen girls. So reading about this movie, it really hits how often I worry about this stuff. I think it's super important to show these movies not just to women, but to GUYS too to show them what consent means, how to have discussions about it in "the heat of things" if someone were to suddenly want to cease activities, etc. 

I've been there. I was with a girl once at a party. we were getting "hot and heavy", and she said suddenly she " didn't want to". I said "ok, whatever you're comfortable with, you wanna go back out to the party, or just hang out here for a while?" and she started sobbing. She said she had never experienced a guy saying that before. It was all pressure pressure pressure pressure and often anger. It made me so sad that was her experience at ANY age, but still, we were mid teens. I was kinda grossed out (not at her, obviously). We dated for a little while after that, went our separate ways, and then I found out a few years later she died under circumstances her family never would divulge. 

anyway, encourage these conversations. I have faith that, I think since this type of talk is so normalized these days, that this generation is open to talking about such things amongst their peer groups. Gen Xers (at least no one I know) just didn't have those conversations. 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/02/entertainment/how-to-have-sex-molly-manning-walker-interview/index.html

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    Spunkie said:

yes. this exactly.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
    edited February 27
    Just a suggestion, there will always be predators out there and anyone should have a weapon of some kind on them at all times (except when it's illegal, creating soft target areas), and college age students (especially females) should never accept an open drink at a house party or consume anything where they do not know what is in it.  Also, to be aware of their surroundings, and avoid certain areas or situations that me be dangerous (not blaming the victim, just precautionary measures for everyone). The book When Violence Is The Answer by Tim Larkin is a must read for everyone, but especially for college age students. 

Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
    I know I’ve written this before but I’m repeating it anyway….

God forbid if you/your loved one are/is raped go directly to a police station and make them take you to a hospital.  Obviously a traumatic experience but this has to be done immediately.  

In the meantime I think we should all read the book above.