Options

Advice sought--what time will MSG show end?

b-siderb-sider Posts: 23
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
I'm coming from Albany for tomorrow night's show, and the timing is awkward but I've got to get right to Albany...so anyway there is a 10:45 train out of msg/penn going back to albany.

What are the chances I'm going to miss the end of the show?
He's alive but feels absolutely nothing. So is he?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    b-sider wrote:
    I'm coming from Albany for tomorrow night's show, and the timing is awkward but I've got to get right to Albany...so anyway there is a 10:45 train out of msg/penn going back to albany.

I won't be there, but I've never seen a show end that early. Just my 2 cents.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Yeah, so I'm not totally committed to this train concept...if anyone's coming from/back to albany or even the hudson valley i'd rather carpool.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I'm in a similar boat. I've got to catch an 11:45pm bus over at the port authority 11 blocks away. I'm planning to leave by 11 (maybe 11:10?) no matter what (I have never left a show early before but I have no choice) and RUN to 42nd and 8th which is only .5 mile. I think you'll have to leave before the show is over. I'm planning, on the way over to time it, and plan my exact route, so I can figure out the maximum I can stay. Be sure to allow time for getting OUT of MSG, and be sure you know your gate for the train.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    I can't see any way possible the show will end before 10:45.

11:45 most likely, but not 10:45.
  • Options
    So yeah it looks like a 99% chance (maybe the opener can't go on or something) that I'm going to miss a good chunk of the show. Ok so I've got to figure some other travel plan out...anybody driving in from:

albany, rennselaer, greene, columbia, ulster, or dutchess counties that i could carpool with? Will help with gas!
  • Options
    that is so smart to plan it ahead of time - if you're familiar with where you need to go when you exit, and can jog it, you will make it in plenty of time even if you stay until 11:15. good luck and enjoy the show.
    JaneNY wrote:
    I'm in a similar boat. I've got to catch an 11:45pm bus over at the port authority 11 blocks away. I'm planning to leave by 11 (maybe 11:10?) no matter what (I have never left a show early before but I have no choice) and RUN to 42nd and 8th which is only .5 mile. I think you'll have to leave before the show is over. I'm planning, on the way over to time it, and plan my exact route, so I can figure out the maximum I can stay. Be sure to allow time for getting OUT of MSG, and be sure you know your gate for the train.
    The wisdom that the old can't give away

How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Options
    GangstacroGangstacro Posts: 104
    If either MSG show ends prior to 11:30 (assuming they take the stage around 9, which as been the norm) there will be a LOT of dissapointed NYC fans on this board.

Any idea what the current curfew situation is at MSG? I know there is some Union issues with the MSG vendors, but maybe that has been changed and the curfew is a non-issue.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I concur. If you leave at 10:45 (which means leaving MSG no later than, what 10:20?), you will miss a large portion of the show.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    b-sider wrote:

dude the main set wont be over at that time
  • Options
    hopefully not until 1am...
  • Options
    If i remember correctly the MSG shows in 2003 ended shortly before midnight or a little after.

Definitely try to carpool.
  • Options
    Mr. BeeksMr. Beeks Posts: 103
    my parent's saw the Eagles at MSG two weeks back, they played until almost midnight.
  • Options
    bigdvsbigdvs Posts: 235
    on for night 2, thinking we are metro northing it out of poughkeepsie 3:31 makes grand central at 5:14 and then hoping to make the 12:10 am (nonstop return) rather then have to take the local and transfer at 1 am getting back at 3am.
    "The really important thing is not to live, but to live well. And to live well meant, along with more enjoyable things in life, to live according to your principles."
    — Socrates

• Options
    yeah i'm lookin at that option now too....the 12:10 going back would be ideal. show would need to be over by 11:45 at the latest to swing that though...
  • Options
    arakiasarakias Posts: 281
    I believe major NYC concert venues have a 11 pm curfew. Whether or not that curfew is broken is a different story.
  • Options
    GangstacroGangstacro Posts: 104
    Arakias wrote:
    I believe major NYC concert venues have a 11 pm curfew. Whether or not that curfew is broken is a different story.

I think this has changed now, and or, the band can negotiate to have the venue later. I have been to a few shows at MSG, and not once has the concert ended before 11:00.
  • Options
    tigereyetigereye Posts: 17
    Gangstacro wrote:
    If either MSG show ends prior to 11:30 (assuming they take the stage around 9, which as been the norm) there will be a LOT of dissapointed NYC fans on this board.

Any idea what the current curfew situation is at MSG? I know there is some Union issues with the MSG vendors, but maybe that has been changed and the curfew is a non-issue.

i don't remember/know when the curfew is...but i do remember that in '03 they "missed curfew"...said fuck it...and decided to pay the fine of 10 grand (or something like that)...
    I will live forever...you can't keep me here.

1.14.95*1.15.95*10.06.96*8.31.98*9.06.98*8.04.00*
    8.06.00*4.15.03*4.16.03*7.01.03*7.06.03*7.08.03*
    7.09.03*10.03.05*5.09.06*5.10.06*5.30.06*6.16.08
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    b-sider wrote:
    yeah i'm lookin at that option now too....the 12:10 going back would be ideal. show would need to be over by 11:45 at the latest to swing that though...
    I looked at that too, but decided to say fuck it. I don't want to have to run the 15 blocks to catch the 12:10 and I don't want to have to leave early. Who knows when will they be back.

I am driving in both nights. I took Wednesday and Thursday off of work so I am in no hurry to get home.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    We miscalculated the last day of school. We thought my daughter would be done Wednesday and we'd just leave after her last day performance, but her show (she's in 8th grade, and singing, and dancing the jitterbug for their USO show performance to finish up 8th grade social studies) is on Thursday. She can't miss it as its her last day in middle school, and I don't want to miss it either. I thought I'd just have to skip MSG, but searched and searched for a way to make it all work, figured out a night bus where I can sleep as far as Syracuse, and drive the rest of the way home to be there for her show at 8am Thurs. morning. It's just like taking the red-eye from Cali which I've done. I'm crazy :eek: but as Robert Smith says "I'll sleep when I'm dead".

I'm sorry to probably have to leave early but its either leave early or not go at all.
  • Options
    Hey b-sider - why not take the greyhound? I just checked and they have a 12:01am bus from New york that gets to Albany about 2:50.
  • Options
    I'm coming from NJ and I can get the 12:37 train back home.....If I miss that one, I'll have to wait until 1:41 and transfer in newark.

But I'm pretty sure they'll be done by 12:37....Isn't Penn Station right across from MSG?
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • Options
    I'm coming from NJ and I can get the 12:37 train back home.....If I miss that one, I'll have to wait until 1:41 and transfer in newark.

But I'm pretty sure they'll be done by 12:37....Isn't Penn Station right across from MSG?

I believe it is just under MSG? I think there's a way to just go down stairs,escalator,elevator and pretty much be at the station. City natives can you confirm?
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602

I'm not from NY, but I'm from NJ. Close enough to know that Penn Station is under the arena. All you need to do is follow the signs in the building to the train plateforms. I don't know exactly where, but all you need to do is go down a couple stories and you are right there.
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,178
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    I looked at that too, but decided to say fuck it. I don't want to have to run the 15 blocks to catch the 12:10 and I don't want to have to leave early. Who knows when will they be back.

I am driving in both nights. I took Wednesday and Thursday off of work so I am in no hurry to get home.

I am coming from albany and taking the train. There are trains out of grand central to poughkeepsie at 12:10, 1:00, and 2:00. Shouldn't be a problem if you can take staying up late...
  • Options
    ealasaid76ealasaid76 Posts: 95
    Amtrak only. Grand Central has Metro North and the LI RR.
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE!
    www.wm3.org
    9/13/98 Hartford,CT - 9/18/98 Columbia,MD
    8/23/00 Jones Beach (Wantagh,NY) - 7/8/03 NYC (DVD show)
    9/28/04 Boston,MA (VFC Benefit-10C) - 6/23/06 Pittsburgh,PA
    6/27/08 Hartford, CT
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    I am coming from albany and taking the train. There are trains out of grand central to poughkeepsie at 12:10, 1:00, and 2:00. Shouldn't be a problem if you can take staying up late...
    12:10 is OK it is an express , if we can get it. But those 1:00 and 2:00 trains are murder. They are locals and you have to switch trains in Croton. Almost 20 minutes longer 2 hours and 10 minutes. Then the drive from the train station to home makes it a 3 hour trip. Then I have to do it again on Wednesday. I can be home driving under 2 hours easy.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

So at this point I'm training in from Poughkeepsie but could I swing a ride back? I'll give you some gas money
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    Hey b-sider - why not take the greyhound? I just checked and they have a 12:01am bus from New york that gets to Albany about 2:50.

Perhaps tempting, but I've decided to to train in from Poughkeepsie instead. Hoping to catch 12:10 back or may a ride back with my new best friend PJ_Lukin