Options

The thing is about Matt Cameron...

12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
edited April 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
is that he is the best drummer for jamming out. Honestly, Dave A, Jack Irons do not compare to Matt Cameron when it comes to jamming out on songs like RVM and Porch. Listen to his playing during the jam out part of the song. He hits the cymbals and toms at the perfect time every time. The man knows how to play at times like that. Am I right? (I know I'm right)
5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
8/7/08, 6/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,860
    yeah, Matt rocks!!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    and we are only 2 weeks away from his 10 year anniversary!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

wow...dint know that. happy 10th Matt, your the best drummer for PJ...hope you read this (doubt it haha)
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398

yay Matt is awesome!
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,568
    I can agree with RVM, but definately not porch. Dave A 1992+1993 had some seriously insane beats and tempo changes that Matt just don't have in him. Tivoli 92, Amsterdam 92 and Las Vegas 93 (HRBox) comes to mind.

Matt is a great drummer and probably a better drummer overall, but Dave's jamming was really quite impressive.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    Niko80 wrote:
    I can agree with RVM, but definately not porch. Dave A 1992+1993 had some seriously insane beats and tempo changes that Matt just don't have in him. Tivoli 92, Amsterdam 92 and Las Vegas 93 (HRBox) comes to mind.

Matt is a great drummer and probably a better drummer overall, but Dave's jamming was really quite impressive.
    Yeah, Dave A was amazing on Porch. (see 1992/12/31 :D)

But Matt's the greatest! I hope he gets more solo time in the future and in other songs too, not just Even Flow...
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Options
    Mr ZelxMr Zelx Posts: 18
    As good as Matt Cameron is, he still doesnt surpass 'Abbruz' - this guy was unbelievable. I dont think I have ever seen a better drummer than him; he is tight, consistent, never heard him f**k up, sounds like he is playing with two extra sticks - those cymbals!!

And he got better as he went along. Check out the Gimli 93 performance (youtube)or 2nd night in Atlanta, Georgia in 1994 (live on Radio) - WMA is superb. Spin the Black Circle's drumming is just the nuts!!

For me, Jack Irons was the weakest and I cringe when i hear some of his performances, he was out of his depth and for him to follow Abbruz was an impossible feat. It's no coincidence that Pearl Jam's upturn in events coincided with his replacement by Matt Cameron, who is a very, very good drummer without the funkiness, cymbals and intricacies of Abbruz. Different in a good, powerful way.

Does anyone know the full story behind why they sacked Abbruz? Surely it wasnt just coz he liked the success?!?

Really like Abruzz's Green Romance Orchestra material, but his drumming seems somewhat stifled - he changed his style a bit and reduced the use of cymblas on it.

For such a talented drummer, he has gone into the wilderness - Vedder's words of him loving the limelight have obviously affected him (if this was the case) and he is trying to prove a point perhaps? There were rumours he was going to join Guns N Roses on their tour - now he would have been perfect for their style.
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    Eddie sacked Dave A cos he bought two guns. :D
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    Murderers wrote:
    Eddie sacked Dave A cos he bought two guns. :D

It was more than that. There was a clash of personalities between the two. They just didn't get along.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    Mr Zelx wrote:
    As good as Matt Cameron is, he still doesnt surpass 'Abbruz' - this guy was unbelievable. I dont think I have ever seen a better drummer than him; he is tight, consistent, never heard him f**k up, sounds like he is playing with two extra sticks - those cymbals!!

I would love to see Matt Chamberlain play with Pearl Jam these days...he is sooooooooooooooo good
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Mr Zelx wrote:
    For me, Jack Irons was the weakest and I cringe when i hear some of his performances, he was out of his depth and for him to follow Abbruz was an impossible feat. It's no coincidence that Pearl Jam's upturn in events coincided with his replacement by Matt Cameron . . .

PJ's first five (and best albums) all happened with Dave or Jack on the kit. There was no upturn, at least in the studio, when Matt joined the band.
  • Options
    this is a thread for matt cameron, not Dave A.. or jack...
    it is all about Matt!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,

• Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    there's no doubt that Dave A played harder and faster (just listen to Go on Vs), but Matt is just better, especially on the extended jams. from what i've read, Dave A was not consistent when playing live.
  • Options
    Are any of you guys drummers?

I have played for nearly 14 years, and i still to this day say Dave A.

It's hard to make a case for Dave A b/c there are very little video recordings of him, but he's amazing.

I'm not going to go into specifics, and please, don't get me wrong, Matt is brilliant, and a great fit for the band, but i'll take the drumming on all the pre-1995 recordings over post 1995 recordings any day.

So flowing, so powerful, but he was also so fundamentally sound. Listen to some of Dave's high-hat rolling, if you can find any of it, it's really, REALLY good.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    It was more than that. There was a clash of personalities between the two. They just didn't get along.
    I know, I was kidding.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    In answer to Dave A not being consistent, that's ludicrous - you can hear for yourself on all of the bootlegs how consistent and tight he was. you dont need to rely on other people's opinion - the evidence is there. The guy played like a machine - an octopus, I'm sure he had more than two arms!!
  • Options
    is that he is the best drummer for jamming out. Honestly, Dave A, Jack Irons do not compare to Matt Cameron when it comes to jamming out on songs like RVM and Porch. Listen to his playing during the jam out part of the song. He hits the cymbals and toms at the perfect time every time. The man knows how to play at times like that. Am I right? (I know I'm right)

perfectly wrote
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    Mr Zelx wrote:
    In answer to Dave A not being consistent, that's ludicrous - you can hear for yourself on all of the bootlegs how consistent and tight he was. you dont need to rely on other people's opinion - the evidence is there. The guy played like a machine - an octopus, I'm sure he had more than two arms!!

umm, he improovised alot, did he keep up, yes, the differance is matt stays more consistant on those jams, its opinion though, dave was good, i just like matt better.

no more shows
  • Options
    Mr Zelx wrote:

real quick, what killed it for me with dave was that show they released with avocado, daves fill ins in the middle of breakdowns and fill ins where the band kinda kept consistancy dave always had a differant beat up his sleeve, some like the looseness, i prefer matt going back to the same fills better.

no more shows
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    i've always wanted to know who plays drums on Out of My Mind... does anyone know? i'm guessing it's Dave A, but maybe it's Jack Irons? whoever did it, i dig it a lot.
  • Options
    Dave A plays on Out of My Mind.