Options

Joseph Arthur, Peter Buck, Rich Robinson, Barrett Martin new band

2»

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,304
    He should team up with Clapton & Van Morrison not sure what they called themselves maybe Antivaxx trio? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    He should team up with Clapton & Van Morrison not sure what they called themselves maybe Antivaxx trio? 
    The Freedumb Festival
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Conspiracy Karma

• Options
    The Freedumb Festival
    lol Freedumb trio works 
  • Options
    Conspiracy Karma

Conspiracy trio works too! 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    The last paragraph of the LA Times article: 

"Just last week, Arthur’s girlfriend gave birth to their first child, Alessia. Asked whether their daughter will receive the recommended round of standard vaccinations that children get at 2 months, Arthur didn’t have an easy answer. “We’re looking into all that,” he says."

They should have asked him if he trusted a doctor / hospital enough to deliver his child, and if so, why. 
  • Options

For the record, I'm a fan. I spun both RNDM albums while hosting some friends in our backyard last weekend, and in the process introduced them to some people who were unfamiliar with the band. 

I was bummed out to see his instagram posts from this summer, and I'm bummed out his career has come to this. 

I also don't get how people can't understand that their anecdotal experience w/ COVID is not what everyone experiences. The guy is delusional AF. 

As someone mentioned on the prior page, I support his right to express his views, and I also support the rights of people to decide they don't want to be associated with his bullshit. 

This is just sad all around. 

• Options
    if he's an anti-vax nutter, so be it. I'll still enjoy RNDM like I always have. I don't have to like the person to like the music. Billy Corgan seriously tested that resolve, but i still try to keep it separate. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    if he's an anti-vax nutter, so be it. I'll still enjoy RNDM like I always have. I don't have to like the person to like the music. Billy Corgan seriously tested that resolve, but i still try to keep it separate. 
    Same... as mentioned, I listened to both albums recently with friends and had no problem talking up the band and him as an artist. 

He won't be the first artist I like whose personal views I disagree with, and sure as shit won't be the last. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I’ll still listen to the music I have, I will not fork over anymore of my hard earned money for any JA releases in the future as long as he maintains this stance.  I cannot support people financially who take ideological stances over the health and safety of people and proven science. I do not stream music so that is moot, even if the money they make off those platforms is peanuts anyway. 

I’m not funding anyone’s deep dive into the worm home that is white neo-conservative internet conspiracy BS designed to build resistance to any positive change in the world.  It’s too bad, I really enjoyed his interview with Mark Lanegan on YouTube.  

His right to say and believe what he wants, my right to spend my money where I see fit. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    shocked that clapton is an anti-vaxxer, too...."I'll shoot heroin but don't trust the vaccine."
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    shocked that clapton is an anti-vaxxer, too...."I'll shoot heroin but don't trust the vaccine."
    he turned anti vax after getting the shot, claiming it gave (or worsened) his MS. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I’m not shocked. This is the “keep Britain white” guy after all. EC is a degenerate.  Great guitarist, bad human. 
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I’ll still listen to the music I have, I will not fork over anymore of my hard earned money for any JA releases in the future as long as he maintains this stance.  I cannot support people financially who take ideological stances over the health and safety of people and proven science. I do not stream music so that is moot, even if the money they make off those platforms is peanuts anyway. 

I’m not funding anyone’s deep dive into the worm home that is white neo-conservative internet conspiracy BS designed to build resistance to any positive change in the world.  It’s too bad, I really enjoyed his interview with Mark Lanegan on YouTube.  

His right to say and believe what he wants, my right to spend my money where I see fit. 
    Perfectly stated.

I can't get with the whole "I separate the music from the person". The person created the music, and while I will acknowledge talent or quality songs no matter who wrote them, I absolutely cannot & will not spend time or money on artists who support causes or dangerous campaigns that I totally oppose.

Like you said: Their right to say & believe what they want; my right to spend my money & attention where I see fit. Period.

I recently loved the lineup of a 1-day 80s music fest happening in 2022. So many bands that would be fun to see live today. But Morrisey was headlining.  Much as I still love certain Smith's songs & albums, given his politics and also his habit of canceling shows more often than he plays them (or so it seems), nope, no way, not buying a ticket with him as a headliner.  And I'm fine with it, though bummed to miss the rest of the lineup.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    Agreed. I have no problem listening to the music he made before this. But not what he does from now on.... I find it hard to imagine he'll be making anything I want to hear anyway right now. How could it not be peppered with lyrics about his new idiotic viewpoints? It seems to be a true obsession, so surely all his art is being influenced by it now.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited August 2021
    Richard Stuverud posted a personal shit list on his FB, and one of the items is:
    "Musicians that have lost their minds with vaccination conspiracies drowning in their own narcissism."

Hard not to read into that, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    PJ_Soul said:
    Richard Stuverud posted a personal shit list on his FB, and one of the items is:
    "Musicians that have lost their minds with vaccination conspiracies drowning in their own narcissism."

Hard not to read into that, lol.
    Saw that.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Good for Stuverud, love when people are clear!
  • Options
    GC31608GC31608 GA Posts: 228
    Damn this really really sucks. JA has such great albums. I’ve bought many and saw him live a few times including at a City Winery several years back where it was a fiasco due to his personal struggles. It was good to see him get better and healthy after that. Even communicated with him through Twitter dm’s about his art. But what a let down this is. No doubt the end of RNDM. It’s like a self-sabotage nature with him.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,801
    Honestly watching him solo a few times I felt like I was watching a creative genius.  I don't follow him, twitter or whatever else kids are doing these days. It's a shame that personal opinions and whatever oozes into the musical world. I wonder how many musicians of the past if they had the same platforms to express their beliefs would we have written off.  So i don't know what ja has been rambling about, but it must be pretty bad...
    Give it a few years and i really hope none of this stuff matters. Rock and roll shouldn't be so complicated.
    Oh well.  
    Stay safe everyone.
    End of rant
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Loujoe said:
    I wonder how many musicians of the past if they had the same platforms to express their beliefs would we have written off.
    I think that's kinda happening with Clapton, Waters, Van Morrison 
  • Options
    The whole JA thing is a massive bummer. I'll always enjoy his catalog but new tunes seem to have a fair amount of the conspiracy stuff seeping in which is impossible to get past (at least for me). I'm probably going to grant more leeway than most on this sorta stuff, but he's gone pretty far off the deep end. 
  • Options
    I lived in NYC in the Village in '98-'00 and I think that's when a friend who owned a lower east side venue called The Living Room told me about this amazing guy named Joseph Arthur I should see. I went many times to see him there and was blown away every time - this was when he was doing a huge part of his set with the layering of the live-to-recorded loops of music, like basically building songs right in front of us in real time.  He was SO talented, very easy to talk to.  I was even there the 1st time Peter Gabriel came to check him out to maybe sign him to his own record label.

Have always shown up every 5 or so years at least since then to check him out.  By now I don't think he remembers me from that time specifically, but he knows I'm familiar.  Ran into him at Sea Hear Now in 2018 and we went straight to this really intense talk about recent struggles to overcome big stuff and where we each were in that moment, it was so cool to just dive right into a serious personal convo after not seeing him for years.  Saw him with RNDM too, that was always cool, I love RNDM.  Or, loved, since they are clearly history now.

But yeah, even with all that, I'll honor the fact that humans struggle and go through strange times and I feel for him that he's clearly going in some really self-damaging directions.  But as a fan, a realist, and someone who values common sense and people not making choices that can actually hurt or kill other people, I'm sick of watching this going-on-2-yr pandemic suck all the life out of our heroic healthcare workers and kill so many who either have compromised immunse systems or now are too young to get the vax (ZERO sympathy for those who can vax but choose not to and get sick).  So I vote with my attention and my dollars, or by withholding them.

If I ever run into Joseph again, I'll be glad to see him. I'll also probably say "WTF man, are you still believing all that stuff?" and that might be the end of the convo right there, but at least it will be real. I won't be paying to see him or paying for his music anymore though.  Totally bummed it went this way, or that he went this way.

Don't even get me started on Clapton, Van Morrison and wait, someone said "Waters" above, is Roger Waters now anti-vax?  I can totally imagine Clapton and Morrison (they both have histories of behavior that turns me off them as fans even if esp Van's music is so legendary).  But I will be broken hearted if you're telling me now that Roger Waters is on the anti-vax, anti-lockdown, anti-mask crazy train?  Is that true?
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    I lived in NYC in the Village in '98-'00 and I think that's when a friend who owned a lower east side venue called The Living Room told me about this amazing guy named Joseph Arthur I should see. I went many times to see him there and was blown away every time - this was when he was doing a huge part of his set with the layering of the live-to-recorded loops of music, like basically building songs right in front of us in real time.  He was SO talented, very easy to talk to.  I was even there the 1st time Peter Gabriel came to check him out to maybe sign him to his own record label.

Have always shown up every 5 or so years at least since then to check him out.  By now I don't think he remembers me from that time specifically, but he knows I'm familiar.  Ran into him at Sea Hear Now in 2018 and we went straight to this really intense talk about recent struggles to overcome big stuff and where we each were in that moment, it was so cool to just dive right into a serious personal convo after not seeing him for years.  Saw him with RNDM too, that was always cool, I love RNDM.  Or, loved, since they are clearly history now.

But yeah, even with all that, I'll honor the fact that humans struggle and go through strange times and I feel for him that he's clearly going in some really self-damaging directions.  But as a fan, a realist, and someone who values common sense and people not making choices that can actually hurt or kill other people, I'm sick of watching this going-on-2-yr pandemic suck all the life out of our heroic healthcare workers and kill so many who either have compromised immunse systems or now are too young to get the vax (ZERO sympathy for those who can vax but choose not to and get sick).  So I vote with my attention and my dollars, or by withholding them.

If I ever run into Joseph again, I'll be glad to see him. I'll also probably say "WTF man, are you still believing all that stuff?" and that might be the end of the convo right there, but at least it will be real. I won't be paying to see him or paying for his music anymore though.  Totally bummed it went this way, or that he went this way.

Don't even get me started on Clapton, Van Morrison and wait, someone said "Waters" above, is Roger Waters now anti-vax?  I can totally imagine Clapton and Morrison (they both have histories of behavior that turns me off them as fans even if esp Van's music is so legendary).  But I will be broken hearted if you're telling me now that Roger Waters is on the anti-vax, anti-lockdown, anti-mask crazy train?  Is that true?
    No...Waters reserves his conspiracy theories for Syria not vaccines. I could've thrown Morrissey in there too. Wasn't just talking about covid, but the idea of older artists being written off for their beliefs.
  • Options
    Phew! I guess I agree with the things I've heard Waters talk about, and I haven't heard any I'd put under "Conspiracy Theory" from him yet so phew, glad I don't have to boycott him too!

Morrissey, it's not even just his beliefs, it's his total disdain (apparently) for his fans.  It amazes me that some people will still run and buy tix to see him when he cancels, what, at least 1/3 of his shows?  No joke, just saw a headline in a music industry paper that said something like Morrissey is stepping in to headline a festival that NIN was supposed to headline but pulled out because of Delta Variant.  Headline said something like "NIN cancels, Morrissey stepping in to headline. Unclear who will step in for Morrissey" which I found hysterical because, yes, highly likely he won't play either. And it won't be because of the safety of his fans that he cancels.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,290
    A somewhat unexpected update on this project from Barrett:

”one of the last things Mark (Lanegan) and I worked on was I had him sequence this double album that I produced for Peter Buck, Rich Robinson and Joseph Arthur, and I’m in the band too – the record hasn’t come out yet, because of endless delays and the Black Crowes are releasing a new album – but someday it’ll come out and that’s Mark’s sequence. Because he loved the album, and none of us could figure out how to sequence it, so he sequenced it in Ireland and sent it back to me and I was like, “that’s perfect”. ”
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

”one of the last things Mark (Lanegan) and I worked on was I had him sequence this double album that I produced for Peter Buck, Rich Robinson and Joseph Arthur, and I’m in the band too – the record hasn’t come out yet, because of endless delays and the Black Crowes are releasing a new album – but someday it’ll come out and that’s Mark’s sequence. Because he loved the album, and none of us could figure out how to sequence it, so he sequenced it in Ireland and sent it back to me and I was like, “that’s perfect”. ”
    It's......the Crowes album slowing things down?
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,290
    pjl44 said:
    goldrush said:

I thought Barrett was just implying that Rich has moved on from this and is prioritising the Crowes now. The initial delays were clearly due to Joseph going way off the reservation.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    I’m not even slightly interested in these get togetherness bands! 
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    pjl44 said:
    goldrush said:

I thought Barrett was just implying that Rich has moved on from this and is prioritising the Crowes now. The initial delays were clearly due to Joseph going way off the reservation.
    Did my periodic check in and seems he still isn't quite back yet. Would love to hear that record though.