Options

Eddie Vedder Rocks Santa Cruz - show review

kurtdiedforyoursinskurtdiedforyoursins Posts: 149
edited April 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
read last part, commence freaking...

http://www.independent.com/news/2008/apr/06/eddie-vedder-rocks-santa-cruz/

Eddie Vedder Rocks Santa Cruz
Pearl Jam Frontman Lights Up California Coast on Way to Santa Barbara

By Matt Kettmann

Sunday, April 6, 2008

One of the most awaited one-man-and-his-guitar tours landed in California on Saturday, April 5, when Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder touched down in the Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium and pleased the raucous crowd with an energetic, soulful, and simplistically innovative two hours of music. The singer’s deep, throaty voice is one of the modern generation’s most distinctive, his guitar handling never fails to wow, and his poetic songwriting skills seem to have only strengthened with age, as evidenced by his Grammy-nominated soundtrack for Into the Wild.

But before Vedder came opener Liam Finn, a drum-smashing and guitar-playing Kiwi in his early 20s who uses looping pedals to craft a full band sound, even though it’s just him and voluptuous vocalist/autoharpist Eliza Jane Barnes on stage. Promoting his solo debut album I’ll Be Lightning, Finn broke a massive sweat with his crazed drumming, wrecking one of his new snares during one of his first songs. (Luckily, a man in a lab coat came from off-stage and quickly fixed the drum.) And his guitar playing wasn’t any less enthusiastic. His songs swept from slower ballads to hard rocking to ethereal, seemingly Maori-inspired flights of sound, an excellent, mouth-wetting appetizer for the evening’s main course.

Eddie Vedder hit the stage a little completely alone right before 9 p.m., eliciting a loud and inspired response from the sold-out crowd of about 2,000 fans — people were jumping in their seats, standing on chairs, yelling “Eddie! Eddie! We love you Eddie!”, and engaging in the sort of over-the-top activity reserved for rock stars of the highest order. He jumped right in, playing three songs before even addressing the crowd. When Vedder finally did converse, the lifelong surfer expressed gratitude for being in Santa Cruz, especially because it was the place that wetsuits were invented. He compared coming from Vancouver — the site of the tour’s first two shows — to Santa Cruz as much like the sensation of “pissing in a wetsuit,” a nod to the considerably warmer climes of the Golden State.

Although it was truly just Eddie and his considerable quiver of guitars — there were at least eight of them, including a mandolin and two ukuleles (one electric, one acoustic) — the stage was quite a scene from about 30 rows back. The backdrop appeared to be depicting a warehouse full of boxes or, perhaps, the discarded frames from an art studio sitting outside. There was what appeared to be a reel-to-reel film projector (that turned out later to play audio), an unturned carton of Corona, an odd winged creature hanging out on a rear speaker, and that kind of homey, creative sense usually found in the basement or garage studios of musicians’ homes. And then there was the sound tech in a lab coat, coming out between every song to replace Vedder’s axes.

Song-wise, Vedder played many of the Into the Wild cuts, including the Golden Globe-winning “Guaranteed.” The newer stuff was peppered with bits of the older stuff, including the always loved cover of The Beatles’ “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away.” He interspersed his songs with stories from the short tour, about failed omelet ordering in Vancouver, and even offered to answer the call of one onlooker whose cell phone kept ringing. That person, for some reason, passed on the offer.

After the show’s first ending, the crowd raised a rather organized encore, yelling “Ed-die” clapping in unison. He returned to a new backdrop, this one a painting of an oversized tent, like the type you’d gather under on an African safari. Liam Finn joined him for one song, and then Vedder did two “sing-alongs.” The first was a Pearl Jam hit, and the second was “No More,” an anti-Iraq war song that he recorded as part of the soundtrack for Phil Donahue’s documentary Body of War, about a wounded Iraq vet named Tomas Young. The crowd yelled “No more!” altogether, a political statement that was likely more supported in peace-loving Santa Cruz than in any other American municipality.

Suddenly, the lab coated man gave Eddie his own coat, and the singer proceeded to conduct an “experiment.” Leaning over while sitting, he began signing resonant, powerful vocals, and looping them. The sound grew into a tidal wave of harmonic noise, and given that Vedder wears a shaggy mop and was wearing a monkly white robe, it wasn’t hard to imagine that this heavenly chorus would have played the soundtrack to Jesus Christ moving the stone away from his cave after being crucified. The curtains slowly came to a close, and many thought the show was over.

But after a few more minutes of carousing, Vedder returned to the stage, this time with an angelic backdrop of sea and clouded blue sky. Explaining that he’d skipped the surf to work on another experiment, he unleashed a song written especially for Santa Cruz. The crowd, obviously, got into it, cheering resoundingly when Vedder sung about trading the soggy Northwest for the sunny shores here. Soon he was joined by Liam Finn and EJ Barnes to close the show with a rendition of “Hard Sun,” a song originally by Indio off the Into the Wild soundtrack. With that, the mad scientist songwriter took a fitting bow, and the Santa Cruz crowd slipped into the night.

Although Eddie Vedder proved an excellent show solo, word on the Santa Barbara streets is that when he comes to play this Thursday, April 11, he might have some friends in tow, including one named Jack, as everyone gets prepared for the annual Kokua Festival in Hawaii. If you’ve got tickets, consider yourself lucky. If not, consider finding a scalper this Thursday.
san diego 5.20.95 (watt+ed) . san diego 11.7.95 . oakland 11.18.97 (stones) . san diego 7.10.98 . las vegas 7.11.98 . san diego 10.25.00 . san diego 6.5.03 . seattle 4.9.04 (impact awards) . san diego 7.7.06 . san diego 4.15.08 (ed) . san diego 4.16.08 (ed) . honolulu 7.1.09 (ed) . honolulu 7.2.09 (ed) . los angeles 10.1.09 . san diego 10.9.09 . san diego 7.5.11 (ed) . seattle 7.16.11 (ed)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339

Eddie Vedder Rocks Santa Cruz
    Pearl Jam Frontman Lights Up California Coast on Way to Santa Barbara

By Matt Kettmann

Sunday, April 6, 2008

One of the most awaited one-man-and-his-guitar tours landed in California on Saturday, April 5, when Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder touched down in the Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium and pleased the raucous crowd with an energetic, soulful, and simplistically innovative two hours of music. The singer’s deep, throaty voice is one of the modern generation’s most distinctive, his guitar handling never fails to wow, and his poetic songwriting skills seem to have only strengthened with age, as evidenced by his Grammy-nominated soundtrack for Into the Wild.

But before Vedder came opener Liam Finn, a drum-smashing and guitar-playing Kiwi in his early 20s who uses looping pedals to craft a full band sound, even though it’s just him and voluptuous vocalist/autoharpist Eliza Jane Barnes on stage. Promoting his solo debut album I’ll Be Lightning, Finn broke a massive sweat with his crazed drumming, wrecking one of his new snares during one of his first songs. (Luckily, a man in a lab coat came from off-stage and quickly fixed the drum.) And his guitar playing wasn’t any less enthusiastic. His songs swept from slower ballads to hard rocking to ethereal, seemingly Maori-inspired flights of sound, an excellent, mouth-wetting appetizer for the evening’s main course.

Eddie Vedder hit the stage a little completely alone right before 9 p.m., eliciting a loud and inspired response from the sold-out crowd of about 2,000 fans — people were jumping in their seats, standing on chairs, yelling “Eddie! Eddie! We love you Eddie!”, and engaging in the sort of over-the-top activity reserved for rock stars of the highest order. He jumped right in, playing three songs before even addressing the crowd. When Vedder finally did converse, the lifelong surfer expressed gratitude for being in Santa Cruz, especially because it was the place that wetsuits were invented. He compared coming from Vancouver — the site of the tour’s first two shows — to Santa Cruz as much like the sensation of “pissing in a wetsuit,” a nod to the considerably warmer climes of the Golden State.

Although it was truly just Eddie and his considerable quiver of guitars — there were at least eight of them, including a mandolin and two ukuleles (one electric, one acoustic) — the stage was quite a scene from about 30 rows back. The backdrop appeared to be depicting a warehouse full of boxes or, perhaps, the discarded frames from an art studio sitting outside. There was what appeared to be a reel-to-reel film projector (that turned out later to play audio), an unturned carton of Corona, an odd winged creature hanging out on a rear speaker, and that kind of homey, creative sense usually found in the basement or garage studios of musicians’ homes. And then there was the sound tech in a lab coat, coming out between every song to replace Vedder’s axes.

Song-wise, Vedder played many of the Into the Wild cuts, including the Golden Globe-winning “Guaranteed.” The newer stuff was peppered with bits of the older stuff, including the always loved cover of The Beatles’ “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away.” He interspersed his songs with stories from the short tour, about failed omelet ordering in Vancouver, and even offered to answer the call of one onlooker whose cell phone kept ringing. That person, for some reason, passed on the offer.

After the show’s first ending, the crowd raised a rather organized encore, yelling “Ed-die” clapping in unison. He returned to a new backdrop, this one a painting of an oversized tent, like the type you’d gather under on an African safari. Liam Finn joined him for one song, and then Vedder did two “sing-alongs.” The first was a Pearl Jam hit, and the second was “No More,” an anti-Iraq war song that he recorded as part of the soundtrack for Phil Donahue’s documentary Body of War, about a wounded Iraq vet named Tomas Young. The crowd yelled “No more!” altogether, a political statement that was likely more supported in peace-loving Santa Cruz than in any other American municipality.

Suddenly, the lab coated man gave Eddie his own coat, and the singer proceeded to conduct an “experiment.” Leaning over while sitting, he began signing resonant, powerful vocals, and looping them. The sound grew into a tidal wave of harmonic noise, and given that Vedder wears a shaggy mop and was wearing a monkly white robe, it wasn’t hard to imagine that this heavenly chorus would have played the soundtrack to Jesus Christ moving the stone away from his cave after being crucified. The curtains slowly came to a close, and many thought the show was over.

But after a few more minutes of carousing, Vedder returned to the stage, this time with an angelic backdrop of sea and clouded blue sky. Explaining that he’d skipped the surf to work on another experiment, he unleashed a song written especially for Santa Cruz. The crowd, obviously, got into it, cheering resoundingly when Vedder sung about trading the soggy Northwest for the sunny shores here. Soon he was joined by Liam Finn and EJ Barnes to close the show with a rendition of “Hard Sun,” a song originally by Indio off the Into the Wild soundtrack. With that, the mad scientist songwriter took a fitting bow, and the Santa Cruz crowd slipped into the night.

Although Eddie Vedder proved an excellent show solo, word on the Santa Barbara streets is that when he comes to play this Thursday, April 11, he might have some friends in tow, including one named Jack, as everyone gets prepared for the annual Kokua Festival in Hawaii. If you’ve got tickets, consider yourself lucky. If not, consider finding a scalper this Thursday.
    Thats cool. I don't like the last sentence, though.
    More like, find a real PJ fan with an extra ticket ;)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    it'd be a lot cooler if it was jack IRONS, as opposed to jack JOHNSON.
  • Options
    Gather No MossGather No Moss Omaha Posts: 339
    it'd be a lot cooler if it was jack IRONS, as opposed to jack JOHNSON.[/quote

give me a break... i respect your opinion..kind of.. , but i would say you are either not going to the show..jealous.. or you can't imagine how cool it is going to be if jack johnson joins him in SB.. i'll be there with my 10C seats.. and let you know how great it is...
    Buy the ticket, Take the ride..

10/20/91 (Omaha), 7/25/92 (Lolla/Denver), 3/7/94 (Denver), 6/20/95 (Red Rocks), 11/14/97 (Oakland), 6/23/98 (Denver), 10/25/00 (SD), 6/05/03 (SD), 10/8/04 (FL), 7/2/06 (Denver), 7/17/08 (VH1-Who Tribute LA), 10/6/09 (LA), 10/7/09 (LA), 9/3/11 & 9/4/11(PJ20), 12/06/13 (Seattle), 10/09/14 (Lincoln)..
  • Options
    Nice review and summary of the show.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options

Oddly, I've just been listening to Santa Barbara 03 & I couldn't agree more.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    no stretch, when the tour was announced, there was several mentions of friends popping up during the tour, hell, I was hopping McCready would after singing happy birthday to him last night and Ed mentioned he may hear us, that he was in the area.

Jack Johnson would be far more preferable to Jack Irons IMO.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options

give me a break... i respect your opinion..kind of.. , but i would say you are either not going to the show..jealous.. or you can't imagine how cool it is going to be if jack johnson joins him in SB.. i'll be there with my 10C seats.. and let you know how great it is...

no, i'm not going to the show. but no, i'm not jealous. i've seen jack johnson live before and don't hold him in very high regard as a live performer at all. it was the most boring concert i've ever been to in my entire life. and that was a show that he turned into a dvd from the berkeley greek, so it's not like he was having an off night or something.

boring, that's my opinion. take it or leave it.
  • Options
    no, i'm not going to the show. but no, i'm not jealous. i've seen jack johnson live before and don't hold him in very high regard as a live performer at all. it was the most boring concert i've ever been to in my entire life. and that was a show that he turned into a dvd from the berkeley greek, so it's not like he was having an off night or something.

boring, that's my opinion. take it or leave it.

let's rewind here.. it's not a jack johnson concert... it's an EV concert.. that means intensity and soul... they are friends..get it.. it would only add to the energy of the show.. and yes, i would agree that jack johnson live is boring compared to PJ live.. but this is a whole different animal we are talking about..

anyway, your original comment was that you would rather see jack irons than jack johnson.. i think a jack irons concert would probalby be a little more boring than jack johnson..

10/20/91 (Omaha), 7/25/92 (Lolla/Denver), 3/7/94 (Denver), 6/20/95 (Red Rocks), 11/14/97 (Oakland), 6/23/98 (Denver), 10/25/00 (SD), 6/05/03 (SD), 10/8/04 (FL), 7/2/06 (Denver), 7/17/08 (VH1-Who Tribute LA), 10/6/09 (LA), 10/7/09 (LA), 9/3/11 & 9/4/11(PJ20), 12/06/13 (Seattle), 10/09/14 (Lincoln)..
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146

if you could see how big my smile is right now....:D:D:D
  • Options
    let's rewind here.. it's not a jack johnson concert... it's an EV concert.. that means intensity and soul... they are friends..get it.. it would only add to the energy of the show.. and yes, i would agree that jack johnson live is boring compared to PJ live.. but this is a whole different animal we are talking about..

anyway, your original comment was that you would rather see jack irons than jack johnson.. i think a jack irons concert would probalby be a little more boring than jack johnson..

you're not following. IMHO, bringing jack irons as a guest would be a better experience than having jack johnson as a guest. yes, bringing anyone who ed is friends with would add energy to the show. but, IMHO (get it?) jack irons as a guest would bring more energy, quality and overall awesomeness to an ed show. if you are excited to see ed and jack johnson, that's great. enjoy the show. if i were going to sb, that would be a fun performance to see, but i would be more blown away by jack irons showing up. sorry, that i don't agree with your OPINION.

also, i would rather see jack irons bang on buckets than jack johnson live ever again. you clearly disagree.

again, enjoy the show. i didn't mean to detract from your experience. have a great time.
  • Options
    you're not following. IMHO, bringing jack irons as a guest would be a better experience than having jack johnson as a guest. yes, bringing anyone who ed is friends with would add energy to the show. but, IMHO (get it?) jack irons as a guest would bring more energy, quality and overall awesomeness to an ed show. if you are excited to see ed and jack johnson, that's great. enjoy the show. if i were going to sb, that would be a fun performance to see, but i would be more blown away by jack irons showing up. sorry, that i don't agree with your OPINION.

also, i would rather see jack irons bang on buckets than jack johnson live ever again. you clearly disagree.

again, enjoy the show. i didn't mean to detract from your experience. have a great time.

how about we agree that Jack White would be the best Jack of all...

• Options
    how about we agree that Jack White would be the best Jack of all...

now, that i can agree with.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908

this Thursday, April 11, .

Friday is April 11th, not Thursday :)
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    Allie wrote:
    Friday is April 11th, not Thursday :)

journalists seem to fuck up the easiest things like this... but in that writer's defense, his deadline was probably not long after the show ended. not easy.
    san diego 5.20.95 (watt+ed) . san diego 11.7.95 . oakland 11.18.97 (stones) . san diego 7.10.98 . las vegas 7.11.98 . san diego 10.25.00 . san diego 6.5.03 . seattle 4.9.04 (impact awards) . san diego 7.7.06 . san diego 4.15.08 (ed) . san diego 4.16.08 (ed) . honolulu 7.1.09 (ed) . honolulu 7.2.09 (ed) . los angeles 10.1.09 . san diego 10.9.09 . san diego 7.5.11 (ed) . seattle 7.16.11 (ed)
  • Options
    another SC review:

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainmentheadlines/ci_8832232

Eddie Vedder gives Santa Cruz a little extra

By Shay Quillen
    Mercury News
    Article Launched: 04/06/2008 02:39:19 PM PDT

Eddie Vedder didn't have to make the extra effort. The 2,000 or so who crammed into Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium on Saturday were thrilled just to be in the presence of rock royalty, as the lead singer of Pearl Jam took the stage for the first U.S. performance of his first solo acoustic tour. (The tour continues with sold-out shows at Berkeley's Zellerbach Auditorium tonight and Tuesday.)

But after nearly two hours of stripped-down Pearl Jam obscurities, living-room ukulele ditties, favorite covers, a quirky room-service anecdote, a beautiful experiment in vocal loops and several songs from Vedder's soundtrack to Sean Penn's "Into the Wild," Vedder launched into "Pulling Into Santa Cruz," a loving ode to Surf City penned that very afternoon in lieu of catching some waves.

"I can feel the lifting of my blues," he sang, "pulling into Santa Cruz."

Aww, Eddie, you shouldn't have.

It was a dream night for Pearl Jam fans, and an ultimately satisfying evening even for those who aren't a member of that particular flannel-clad tribe.

Vedder's young friend Liam Finn began the evening with a set that focused more on noise and mayhem and less on melodic song-craft than the one he delivered last year in Oakland before his father's band, Crowded House. We'd see more of him and his sidekick, singer E-J Barnes, later.

Vedder took center stage around 8:30, perched on a stool amid various electric and acoustic instruments, a Corona case on its side and a reel-to-reel tape player nearby. He was attended to by a roadie in a white lab coat, in keeping with the experimental vibe of the evening.

Vedder began with an assortment of lesser-known Pearl Jam tunes, starting with "Walking the Cow," before heading into five tunes from "Into the Wild." Next came a pair of unrecorded ukulele ditties - one sad, one upbeat - before a mix of Pearl Jam tunes and songs from James Taylor, Cat Stevens and Bob Dylan, plus a singalong on the Beatles' "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away."

Accompanying himself on guitar, the rock icon proved himself a capable finger-picker, though he often revved up the crowd by simply strumming chords with violent force like a juiced up Melissa Etheridge. The technique always got applause, and it worked fine on Pearl Jam barn-burners, but it detracted from numbers like the otherwise straightforward version of Taylor's "Millworker." For the "Into the Wild" soundtrack's "Rise," Vedder pulled out a mandolin, which he described as "kind of a bluegrass ukulele," explaining precisely his ham-handed approach to the instrument.

Though Vedder was understated and anything but the flashy rock star, the singer's star power did sometimes threaten to dwarf the intimacy of the music. For a version of Dylan's "Forever Young," Vedder had the lights turned low to try to put the focus simply on the lyrics. "I'm just trying to get a message to you," he said.

Vedder ended his 80-minute set with a powerful acoustic version of Pearl Jam's "Porch," then came back with Finn by his side for a set of encores that began with "Happy Birthday," dedicated in absentia to his PJ band-mate Mike McCready. That one was followed by a lovely Vedder/Finn duet on "Society," one of the best tunes from "Into the Wild" (composed by North Bay singer-songwriter Jerry Hannan). Next, Vedder donned a white lab coat and took a page from the Finn playbook by laying down a beautiful eight-bar vocal loop and wailing over top of it; the music continued as the curtains closed and Vedder took his "final" bows.

But he returned once more, for the aforementioned Santa Cruz song. The night ended with the whole company, including Finn on drums, performing a rousing version of "Hard Sun," the obscure '80s Canadian track that Vedder resurrected for "Into the Wild."

Guess what? This promising folksinger sounds good with a band, too.
  • Options
    soloartsoloart Posts: 4
    I was there. It was a great show. He is such a sweetheart!
    Went to Rosie's Pub before the show. Best dirty martini's I've ver had!
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    journalists seem to fuck up the easiest things like this... but in that writer's defense, his deadline was probably not long after the show ended. not easy.

Ha! He also said Lukin was a hit.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Super_FanSuper_Fan Posts: 249
    Great show. Better fan club seats. I love my new prized possessions, the new Eddie Vedder pick, show or tour poster in blue, handbill, and a Zippo. Only thing I missed was a front row ticket tonight. My seats were still great though.
    Tour '08
    Destroying DC Scum.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    Ed is a juiced-up Melissa Etheridge ... ha!
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Super_FanSuper_Fan Posts: 249
    Super_Fan wrote:
    Great show. Better fan club seats. I love my new prized possessions, the new Eddie Vedder pick, show or tour poster in blue, handbill, and a Zippo. Only thing I missed was a front row ticket tonight. My seats were still great though.

Very first pictures of the new Eddie Vedder pick.

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/MetallicaTourCamper/?action=view&current=EddieVeddersolopick2008.jpg

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/MetallicaTourCamper/?action=view&current=EddieVeddersolopick20082.jpg
    Tour '08
    Destroying DC Scum.